Ladies Short Program - SHOWDOWN - Asada vs. Meissner | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program - SHOWDOWN - Asada vs. Meissner

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
These results reinforce the fact that no one is invincible in figure skating despite how much exaggerated hype surrounds them. That can only be a beautiful thing in my eyes.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Once again Kimmie proves all the haters wrong and shows how competitive she is vs the best skaters. :clap: :clap:

I actually thought it would be close after the SP. it is the FS that will put the distance between the two of them. And with Meissner making mistakes, it's doubtful that she'll be able to pull off any kind of upset.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
These results reinforce the fact that no one is invincible in figure skating despite how much exaggerated hype surrounds them. That can only be a beautiful thing in my eyes.

Mao hasnt even won Worlds yet. There are 2 women who own World titles and she is not one of them. She lost 3 of her 4 significant international events last year, and lost to all of Ando (twice), Meissner (once), and her only acknowledged rival Kim (once). Yet people talk about her as if she is unbeatable and talk about how many world medals or world titles in a row she will pile up already.

This is her 2nd short program score under 60 this year, and this one was even lower. I agree with you on exagerrated hype, Mao is great but she is also exagerrated hype personified at this point.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mao hasnt even won Worlds yet. There are 2 women who own World titles and she is not one of them. She lost 3 of her 4 significant international events last year, and lost to all of Ando (twice), Meissner (once), and her only acknowledged rival Kim (once). Yet people talk about her as if she is unbeatable and talk about how many world medals or world titles in a row she will pile up already.

This is her 2nd short program score under 60 this year, and this one was even lower. I agree with you on exagerrated hype, Mao is great but she is also exagerrated hype personified at this point.

world title or not, I still consider her very dangerous and one of the top two competitors (the other being Yuna Kim). I'll never count her out.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
world title or not, I still consider her very dangerous and one of the top two competitors (the other being Yuna Kim). I'll never count her out.

Who said anything about counting Mao out? :rofl: I am not denying Mao is great and it wouldnt surprise me at all if she won Worlds this year However she is hyped as this dominant force already who is showing up at coronations and already on a fast track to all time greatness, yet she hasnt even won the biggest event (other then Olympics) yet and she has lost quite a few times in the last 2 years.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So the take home point here is that while tough, she is not unbeatable.

But- you'll see once the free skate comes- I think her only real competitor this GP season is going to be Yuna. This TEB competition is about her and Kimmie.

Barring a meltdown on Asada's part, of course. (and Kimmie being her best)

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Dube & Davison and Johnny Weir have both shown this season that NO ONE can be counted out. Mao Asada is far from being the Evgeny Plushenko many people make her out to be.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think Dube & Davison and Johnny Weir have both shown this season that NO ONE can be counted out. Mao Asada is far from being the Evgeny Plushenko many people make her out to be.

Thank you. :clap::clap: I am not a Mao basher, and as I said it wouldnt surprise me at all if she did win Worlds this year, but a reality check here people.

R.D.

Record Breaker
in other words, Asada is not unbeatable, but falling to Meissner? I personally just can't see it happen.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
Geblova was definitely a surprise! Never heard of her before. What happened to Mira Leung? Why such low technical scores? Did she miss something? That was also a surprise.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Once again Kimmie proves all the haters wrong and shows how competitive she is vs the best skaters. :clap: :clap:

That was uncalled for - just because a person is not "over the moon" for Kimmie does not mean they are "Haters".

I respectfully ask the moderator(s) to either supply a strongly worded statement against such speech on this MB or delete this post. We can agree to disagree but I come to this MB expecting that such nastiness won't be tolerated.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was uncalled for - just because a person is not "over the moon" for Kimmie does not mean they are "Haters".

I respectfully ask the moderator(s) to either supply a strongly worded statement against such speech on this MB or delete this post. We can agree to disagree but I come to this MB expecting that such nastiness won't be tolerated.

I really don't think he was meaning any harm in using the word "haters." I see it as he was using it as a synonym for critics. I don't see malicious intent in his post at all. Then again, I was accused of being harsh because of giving my realistic opinion of Sasha Cohen and I never called her names or intended to be mean at all, so go figure. Can't please everyone I guess. The only thing that really irritates me is when people post their opinions as facts. Everyone has a valid opinion.

R.D.

Record Breaker

It may not have been the right word to use but I don't think it was used in the way one would think of a "hater". Perhaps a better word might have been "naysayers"- and I figure that's the context it was used in.

But this is nothing compared to how it once was imo.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

Sweetheart, with all due respect, if you call use of the term "haters" harsh or even bashing.. then I suggest you prepare for a long season because that's simply not bad language on skating boards and by all means... stay FAR FAR away from FSU... they can even offend me...:laugh::laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
yeah, I've developed pretty thick skin being through some rather nasty heated debates over the course of 5 and a half years on GS and other boards...

Dots

Final Flight
The way I see it ... I thought the judges would score Mao a bit better. Hmm, I see the Free Skate as a 50%-50%. Whoever lands the most jumps wins. :biggrin: