Kimmie withdraws from Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kimmie withdraws from Nationals

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a shame. But other skaters have gone through slumps and made successful comebacks - Eldredge, Slutskaya, Joubert, Arakawa, to name a few. I hope she comes back strong for the Olympic year.

Amen! :clap:

kandidy

Final Flight
Hope her injury gets better soon and does not require major surgery. I feel sorry for her now.

harmy18

Rinkside
OMG.....injury :confused: Don't tell me she exerted herself too much so got injured the right time bf US Champion......a bit disappointed by this news, I quite long for her programs

lmarie086

Medalist
Also , the article said she had Mono, which affected her GP performances. What tough luck.

Oh goodness. If she had mono and still competed...that is one tough girl.

I hope she recovers real quick and I can't wait to see her next year! I'm going to miss seeing her at Nationals.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Oh goodness. If she had mono and still competed...that is one tough girl.

I hope she recovers real quick and I can't wait to see her next year! I'm going to miss seeing her at Nationals.

I think the article said she had Mono in the summer which affected her training. I think the author of the article has made the leap from that to say that it affected the GP.

Ant

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the link. Wishing Kimmie a speedy recovery. She must be disappointed. Maybe when she resumes off ice training she should take it down a notch on the treadmill. I will miss her at Nationals.

kate

On the Ice
Treadmills are notoriously bad on your hips. I've had surgery on mine and it was in big bold underlined letters that you are never to use a treadmill again because of how much they destabilize your hips.

Taking time off is definitely the right path with hip injuries. You can skate through them, but it only makes surgery basically inevitable.

Particle Man

Match Penalty
IMO, an injured spirit. She doesn't want to go to Nationals and embarrass herself.

That's pretty presumptuous. So Kimmie is just a liar, making up stories so she doesn't have to face her competition? Give me a break.

And I ask again - are any other ladies out besides Kimmie? I seem to remember someone else withdrawing, it wasn't Alissa was it?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I think the "no chicklets at Nationals" comment is a reference to a fluff piece done a while back on "future" skaters, Danielle Kahl, Katy Taylor and Kimmie. None will be skating at Nats next week. Get well soon all!

dewey

Rinkside
Treadmills are notoriously bad on your hips. I've had surgery on mine and it was in big bold underlined letters that you are never to use a treadmill again because of how much they destabilize your hips.

Taking time off is definitely the right path with hip injuries. You can skate through them, but it only makes surgery basically inevitable.

Kate, did they say why the treadmill is worse than, say, running on a track? Because I love the treadmill, but I don't want to ruin my hips.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Yes, B/A did WD. I thought PM was asking about the Ladies' competition and Chicklets comment.

Alicja

On the Ice
This is sad! Kimmie out, Emily out... :cry: will there be anybody left by the time the actual competition starts???

kate

On the Ice
Kate, did they say why the treadmill is worse than, say, running on a track? Because I love the treadmill, but I don't want to ruin my hips.

It's because the "floor" is moving underneath you and thus isn't stable like a track would be. Treadmills are not necessarily bad for the average person, but for a figure skater -- many of whom have a body type that is predisposed to hip injuries -- that is training several hours a day and has usually started heavy torque jumps (triple sal, loop, etc.) before they've stopped growing, treadmills are just one more stressor on the hip. Same goes for certain other activities (golf especially) or anyone who has previously injured their hip.

kate

On the Ice
Yeah, the latest crop of 14-year-old flashes in the pan, who haven't ruined their bodies yet:cry:

Actually, Caroline Zhang is the youngest this year at 15. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first year that all the senior ladies were age-eligible for worlds since the age rules were put into place.