Ladies' Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ladies' Short Program

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I wasn't so much a splatfest...just a bit underwhelming. The good news is the competition should be pretty good tomorrow. There's only 5 points between 1st and 2nd; and less than 2 points between 2nd and 5th, so this competition is still pretty open.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
maybe but those have been longtime flaws of theirs not just something they messed up this competition... though we know rachael can score higher. hard not to be impressed that she held it together with everything she has going on this year

Totally goes with my theory that Rachael actually does better when she's juggling stuff.

That said, I agree that Ashley's flutz is a long-time issue. But Rachael usually doesn't get level 2 spins (in fact, while the positions aren't as pretty, she usually gets level 4s and she got none of those here.)

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Totally goes with my theory that Rachael actually does better when she's juggling stuff.

That said, I agree that Ashley's flutz is a long-time issue. But Rachael usually doesn't get level 2 spins (in fact, while the positions aren't as pretty, she usually gets level 4s and she got none of those here.)

I think the jury is still out on Rachael and her juggling. If she has a decent LP, then I'm on board with her handling it. The LP is what will really tell the story...that's where the conditioning and stamina is tested.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the jury is still out on Rachael and her juggling. If she has a decent LP, then I'm on board with her handling it. The LP is what will really tell the story...that's where the conditioning and stamina is tested.

Agreed. I guess I should have said that it "so far goes with my theory..."

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
at least mirai has the highest PCS deservedly

Yes she did. Not the start I was hoping for but hopefully she'll shake this off. And Tut was amazing in her senior debut! Great job! Ashley and Rachael also did great in their first outing on the GP this season.

ROCK the LP Mirai! You can do it!

Nigel

On the Ice
I think Ashley and Rachel lost points too though. Ashley twittered about her flutz, so I'm thinking she got an edge call. And I feel like Rachael probably lots some levels on the spins, we'll see.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2011/gpcan2011_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Liza and Flatt...no "e" calls. Good for them. Nice jumps by Liza. I suspect that Flatt is rebuilding, after not jumping for almost 3 months. Mirai, Akiko and Wagner had "e" on 3Lz. (Has Mr Nick's worked on fixing Ashley's technique?).

amateur

Final Flight
I only caught 2 skaters:

Cynthia was Smokin' in that dress. Holy cow, what a beauty!!
And she has now developed the right smoldering look for this program, and a good sense of attack.
it,s too bad she has to always keep her programs for 2 years to get comfortable with them, but the results are good, she is a slow builder it seems.
The footwork section really good, but could do without a few of those dips. I hate COP for that!

Rachaels performance won me over by the end, the footwork section flowing and good! She seemed to be doing a lot of "reaching" all over the place in this choreo, they are really trying to improve her line.. she doesn't quite have it in the core yet, there is a lot of stiffness there, but maybe they are getting somewhere. I'll have to look at last year's performance of this program for comparison.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Wow, first senior, first to skate, and first place for Liz! Her skating is a bit too busy for my liking but she's got an attitude like a champion already!!

Step up Mirai and Akiko!

Oh and I agree with the protocols, which takes away the fun of wuzrubbed drama but still great to see! :biggrin:

loren

Rinkside
Yes she did. Not the start I was hoping for but hopefully she'll shake this off. And Tut was amazing in her senior debut! Great job! Ashley and Rachael also did great in their first outing on the GP this season.

ROCK the LP Mirai! You can do it!

?? Wasn't it Akiko who had the highest PCS??:rolleye:

Mao88

Record Breaker
Overall result of SP & Videos

1. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - RUS - 59.57

Short Program

2. Ashley Wagner - USA - 54.50

Short Program

3. Rachael Flatt - USA - 54.23

Short Program

4. Akiko Suzuki - JPN - 52.82

Short Program

5. Mirai Nagasu - USA - 52.73

Short Program

6. Amelie Lacoste - CAN - 50.60

Short Program

7. Alena Leonova - RUS - 49.75

Short Program

8. Cynthia Phaneuf - CAN - 48.70

Short Program

9. Adriana Desanctis - CAN - 47.14

Short Program

10. Sarah Hecken - GER - 44.50

Short Program

Tuktamysheva was clearly undermarked. Deserved far more than 59.57.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Tut definitely is precocious, and if she sails through the puberty monster and maintains her skills with developing more maturity, it will def be something to see. Right now, I'd agree that maturity is what she lacks. But let's keep it down a bit on the over-hype. I'd say I appreciate the judges not going overboard on the marks, especially that she was the first to skate, eh?

Mao88

Record Breaker
Tut definitely is precocious, and if she sails through the puberty monster and maintains her skills with developing more maturity, it will def be something to see. Right now, I'd agree that maturity is what she lacks. But let's keep it down a bit on the over-hype. I'd say I appreciate the judges not going overboard on the marks, especially that she was the first to skate, eh?

That was the problem - she was the first to skate and the judges were obviously therefore being conservative with the marks to allow room for others. I still think though that the score that she got was too low

jaylee

Medalist
I see that Rachael's Lutz got GOEs ranging from -2 to +2.

Overall, though, Rachael got positive GOE on every element.

Interestingly, Rachael was the only ladies skater to cleanly execute the lutz and a flip in the SP. (Ashley also attempted this, but got the edge call on the lutz.) No others attempted both the lutz and the flip in the SP.

That was the problem - she was the first to skate and the judges were obviously therefore being conservative with the marks to allow room for others. I still think though that the score that she got was too low

Well, the judges remained pretty conservative with the others through the end of the competition, as well. Liza's PCS is only about a point lower than Akiko's and a half-point from Mirai's.

Had the judges been far more generous with all the senior skaters in the 2nd group versus Liza in the first group, I'd agree that her score was too low. But they weren't, so I'd say that Liza was fairly scored. She lost points on her layback, which needs improvement. And she also opted for a loop instead of a flip, which means lower base value.

On a relatively trivial note, I wish Rachael had kept the long-sleeved dress from last year (or a similar model). Much more flattering.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
?? Wasn't it Akiko who had the highest PCS??:rolleye:

Yes she was-no need for the eye rolls anyone can make a mistake. Sheesh.

Mirai was second in PCS-still a nice nod from the judges in spite of her mistake on her combo.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, first senior, first to skate, and first place for Liz! Her skating is a bit too busy for my liking but she's got an attitude like a champion already!!

Step up Mirai and Akiko!

Oh and I agree with the protocols, which takes away the fun of wuzrubbed drama but still great to see! :biggrin:

Liza did AWESOME although she wasn't the first to skate-she went second in the skate order. Still TREMENDOUS job right out of the gates for this kid! I so hope the puberty monster stays away and she matures into a great skater.

Just to clarify (perhaps they didn't show her on your feed?) but Adriana Desanctis of Canada was the first to skate.

Liza went second of the 1st group. :)

I think Liza would have scored even higher had she skated in the final group. She still needs some polishing up here and there but this little beauty is off to a great start-and thank goodness she's got a great lutz! No flutz! :cool:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I feel so excited about Liza, I ve been watching her around Mishin camps since she was a novice and now she grew up and is ready to take over the world:biggrin: And she is a little diva and such confidence in her jumps! I feel as excited as when Mao first competed in Gp!
On a side note, i think she has grown up, defenetely looks bigger than last year. If she had skated to the end after the sort of splatfest, maybe she would have been marked a little higher, but these marks is already a PB and I prefer judges to be conservative with her, she and Adelina cant go to Worlds until 2013! I dont want them to burn out.
I loved her dress and Mirai's and Wagner's, I think they were the most elegant.

Art&Sport

Medalist
No doubt that Elizaveta might have scored higher going in the second group. The fact Adriana D was the first to skate, I'm sorry, is quite forgettable, especially with Tukt coming after her, it erases AD from memory. Not trying to be mean, but a couple of these skaters were definitely not in the same league with the top finishers. Alright, let's just say that Tukt was the first to skate of those who finished in the top, which means, as they always say, that the judges will tend to leave room when a top contender skates early in the first group.

Well, I guess you are a huge fan, Sasha (also, seniorita). Elizaveta definitely looks good with a great deal of confidence. Again, I tend not to get overexcited about very young skaters. I hate the way they are often loaded down with expectations. Generally, at this stage they are all sweetness and light and confidence. As they begin to grow up, the pressure tends to be felt more, and they either deal with it and become champions, or they don't. Eliza T is absolutely amazing, but there are some other amazing young up-and-coming Russians, and I think it's still too early to tell how the ladies field will develop over the next several years.

ETA: I too loved Mao when she first competed on the GP circuit. I don't enjoy seeing what happened to her since then.

Last edited: