2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Nationals Women's Short Program

Skating91

Medalist
Muravieva wins the award for “if I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.”

Clears the difficult hurdle and then loses precious points on the step sequence of all things. And those are the points that cost her the lead.

I was wondering where you were with Russian Nationals around the corner. I enjoy your posts.

Skating91

Medalist
I mean, most skaters don't say it, but this is generally how skaters with Ultra-Cs approach competitions. Yes, some have one set layout, and they will push through that no matter what, but most will drop or include elements on the basis of what's working in training.

Like, for Sofia, likely the question will be two or one 3A. If the 3A really isn't working out, she might drop it completely in an effort to not fall off the podium entirely, as she would be able to fend off most of the skaters behind her with a clean skate even without a 3A.

She goes for two 3A. She just landed one in the SP.

There is 0% chance she jumps less than two 3A at the biggest event of the year.

Unless of course she has some terrible sickness leaving her with no strength, but she will 100% attempt two 3A.

Isk

On the Ice
Just to warn you - it's not proper Chopin. It's the Nâdiya song based on one of his pieces. Radionova did an EX to it a few years ago.

CaroLiza_fan
Watched it, mmm, not going to be my favourite SP of the year. :D And yes! I remember Radionova do the number with a conductor's baton or something like this and change of costume to this song.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irony alert: the age limits that were raised in part because of Kamila looks like will benefit Kamila the most.

She is at the point now where, although she can’t absolutely smoke the competition, she can physically push them around.

She now has a considerable power advantage over everybody and she can physically impose her will on her competition. It’s the new stage in her career.

As long as she stays hungry and motivated, she can do this for another decade.

And forget about it if she can start landing her quads again. Then those vintage Valieva butt whoopings might make a triumphant return.

Kamila at 70% of her all time best is still an upper echelon player in this game.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Gushchina - "I did everything I could. I thought I skated well - one of the best skates of the season. But for some reason my score was low, this was upsetting."

All of these girls without fanbases just get treated like trash by judges - Anisimova is another case.

She landed feather-light jumps. I cannot believe her axel got only a +1 by one of the judges!! Disgusting!! NOBODY here can defend that on a rewatch. Theres so much to break down here. 7.50 SS? Seriously?

I dont think theyre doing it on purpose, I think they just dont care. They dont pay attention to girls who fans dont pay attention to. They just throw a +2 in for any landed jump and give average PCS marks and call it a day. Its so frustrating to see this girl crying - not over a fallen 3A, or a slip, or a forgotten element... crying just saying, I skated as well as I could, I was fully prepared and had no excuse - why was I scored so low?

The judges would never give a straight answer.

thatdarncat

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great short programme, the women picked up where the men left off, Adelia was flawless, shame Daria and Sophia Zakharova had rough skates. Kamila really owns her short programme, she is a tough cookie.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Gushchina - "I did everything I could. I thought I skated well - one of the best skates of the season. But for some reason my score was low, this was upsetting."

All of these girls without fanbases just get treated like trash by judges - Anisimova is another case.

She landed feather-light jumps. I cannot believe her axel got only a +1 by one of the judges!! Disgusting!! NOBODY here can defend that on a rewatch. Theres so much to break down here. 7.50 SS? Seriously?

I dont think theyre doing it on purpose, I think they just dont care. They dont pay attention to girls who fans dont pay attention to. They just throw a +2 in for any landed jump and give average PCS marks and call it a day. Its so frustrating to see this girl crying - not over a fallen 3A, or a slip, or a forgotten element... crying just saying, I skated as well as I could, I was fully prepared and had no excuse - why was I scored so low?

As someone who put Gushchina in 5th in her predictions I can only agree! :mad:
(otherwise I may not have payed attention)

katymay

Medalist

Agree. The axel had a difficult entrance, and when the GOE popped up I groaned. Her skating skills are at the same level as most of the girls, and certainly Maya should not have had such a PCS advantage. While Petrosan has outstanding spins, SS , her jump GOE was inflated. I do think most of the coaches of the non Eteri girls explain that politics will play a role-but it shouldn't be like that. When and if Russia is part of the international skating community again, they ought to think about bringing in outside judges for Nationals. (Really all nations ought to think about doing this). On the other hand, except for National team funding, this year doesn't matter a fig. Next year might be a whole different story.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
All right time to watch the ladies!

We begin with Maia, who I've always had a soft spot for :) I really enjoyed her Loco program a few seasons back, but she has been struggling a bit this season! Hmm now this maybe a sign of terrible acoustics on the Russian GP videos, but I don't even remember this music :laugh2: She did well! Also love the dress, very nice colour and good use of sparkles!

Interesting they've replaced coach-cam with "Next skater up" cam.

Katya Anisimova - I've heard a lot about her, but I'm not sure I've actually watched her skate before! She's fast! And skating to ol' reliable (Carmen), I like her performance, very musical! Huh surprised to see her behind Maia, but she looks happy enough, plus I assume she has some quads to bring out in the free?

Veronika Y!!! A favourite :biggrin: Speed, power and a really good illusion spin! And of course the Y-slide is worth the price of admission ;) TAT seems most impressed! Wow, that was intense, I feel puffed just watching Veronika and she looks like she could skate it again! Bonus points for green skate guards which I also have - although not the new fancy kind (funny story last time I went skating I almost forgot to take them off before stepping on the ice, fortunately someone warned me 😅 ) She scores over 70!

Adeliya aka the Russian Missile - Look at her go! She really owns this program! Big fan of the pants. Excellent step sequence, great spins! I'm sure she's going into the lead and could well be in it for a while! :clap: She doesn't break 80, but loved the fierce look at the end of the replays.

Maria T - I wonder what the story is...did the Italian Fed decide they didn't want her, or did the Russian Fed not release her? Any case, it's nice to see her here, although whoops, fall :( I like how elegant her dress is! It was a bit of a rough skate for her, but I'm liking the crowd support :) This music reminds me of Pogo, fortunately, Maria avoided Pogofalls!

Ksenia S - Elegant as always, lovely opening combo. Entrancing step sequence, gorgeous spins! She looks pleased, as she should! And into second place she goes with a healthy mid-70s score!

For the benefit of your eyeballs I will post each group separately - also because I'll probably go over the emoji limit :p

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Group 2

During warmup wow Lyudmila that's certainly...a costume. Kinda goes with the I Will Survive playing during the warm-up music though, now put in some...um I've forgotten the name of those, whatever it is John Travolta does in Saturday Night Fever.

Daria S's costume looks super familiar, didn't Anna S wear that once?

Wow Sofia Z's costume is amaaaazing! I assume she's skating to something fire-related!

Finally Frolo!! Always a pleasure to see her. Coach R is having a busy competition thus far!

Onto the skates!

Sofia B - Ah a Bond program, without the vocals! I actually like the sparkly gloves short as they are! I haven't been keeping up with my Russian lady skaters because TBH I don't remember her, but a very nice skate indeed! Also I don't like Bond movies, I never realised they had such Shawshank Redemption-like music :p

Liza K! Great to see her here - Dunno about this music choice, I was expecting something Sleeping Beauty-ish with the costume, but she's selling it! For some reason I feel like this is a Eurovision song, I'm sure it's not though! Into 4th she goes!

Um...I don't like the casual backstage stuff when someone else is coming out, it's rude to said skater!

Anywho lets see what Lyudmila has to show us :) Oh dear...this music is dire, the really high parts are making me ears hurt. Also... I think the music listed was wrong - isn't Woodkid a boy band, at any rate I don't recall any highpitched squeaking in their other songs. Ahem...well anyway, that was interesting. Looking forward to seeing her FS.

Daria S - Or maybe it was Sofia A who had this dress? Well, it's a nice dress so... Haha is this a song from the Twilight soundtrack? I feel like it is... Hooray cartwheel! But invalidated spin?! Uhoh! What a shame, it looks like she might know it too, she looks worried! She does win nicest skateguards, tri-coloured! But oh dear... her score :( Well hopefully she can regroup for FS!

Sofia Z! I managed to miss what music she's doing, but we've got an interesting starting position here. Ah dang it, I thought she had that opening jump! She did get to combo in though so :clap: Only Level 2 step sequence though, but overall pretty good! Plus that dress is the bomb, definitely a contender for best costume awards - or do we only do worst costume awards here ;) Gee that score is rough! Don't be sad Sofia Z! The gold eyeshadow is a next level touch!

Is that Frolo in the mask - I hope she's well! She looks nervous! OK here she is! The nerves don't seem to have negatively impacted Frolo, she's looking strong, great emoting! Lovely to see her back :) and getting such a nice reaction from the crowd! And she breaks 70! That was unexpected to me! Wonderful news for her :)

Interesting group, met some new skaters I hadn't before! I'm intrigued by Lyudmila - firstly I haven't seen that name in forever and secondly I wonder if her FS will be a completely different style? I hope so, because that music was a shocker. Teenagers can hear higher frequencies than older people like me, so how she wasn't wincing is a mystery to us all :p

Interview with Adeilya! She's adorable :) I do wonder, isn't Alina Z cold in that outfit?! Seems not - it is a funny picture though, there's Maxim T in his super-lumberjack jacket thing and there's Alina Z without sleeves! :laugh2:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Final group!!! There's Sofia M looking ready to bounce onto the ice, nervous times! Be cool everyone, be cool.

Wow Ksenia G's costume is most eyecatching, does the lightning bolt maker her go faster? ;)

Right OK, I was mostly distracted during the warm up, but here we goooo.

Maria A wearing a very cool looking unitard, I haven't seen her before (I know, I know), but she looked to have fun out there :) Also love her coach's red hair. That combo looked massive length wise, like she flew over the ice!

Oh shoot, Sofia M time, I'm not ready! But everything crossed that she is!

Will she go for the 3A?! I don't know if she should or shouldn't...

LOL I thought I made a weird sound when Sofia landed it, but TAT put me in my place! Huh interesting it got positive GOE, but hooray!!! Go Sofia M, go!

ARRRGHS no!! A fall?! WHY?!! I was just thinking "Wouldn't is suck to get a 3A and then fall on something else "- damn my brain.

Oh dear, oh dear :( Don't be sad Sofia M! Hugs.

On a better note, re: armography, Sofia's brings to mind a famous Dick Button quote, paraphased "She's bamboozling us with her hands" - he meant it in a bad way, but I mean it in a good way :p

Hmm, Dima M was not doing his usual contortions as far as I could see...I apologise for making fun of them before, please bring them back, Dima I feel like they might help Sofia M stay on her feet.

Phew, her score isn't terrible! A mark and a bit off Adeliya's. Adeliya does have quads for FS though, so it's gonna be super tough for Sofia M to beat her, hope she can keep on the podium.

Right OK, after that excitement onto Alena G who's dress is a magnificent shade of green and she's also got an interesting opening position. Huh, was that just me or was there a bleep towards the end of her program?! I assume someone pressed the wrong button, which hopefully wasn't heard in the rink.

Arina K - Breaking the rules with a white costume, but fortunately the boards have dark colours so I think we'll be able to see her. Hey isn't this Sofia A's/Andrei M's music? Oops, she kinda sat down on the end of that combo, but the 2A was nice!

Cameraman whhyyy would you show us Sofia M now?! Leave her be :(

Aww poor Arina, she got kind of buried there :(

Ksenia G - well her fabulous outfit is fabulous! Let's see what she can bring to the table. Hmm not gonna lie I was expecting something in the Burlesque kind of music family. This dress is too cool for this piano piece. But Ksenia G has a nice step sequence (Level 2 - because usually if i like a step sequence it gets a Level 2 😅

Haha love the Flamingo stuffie, it even has ice skates on!

And finally someone else skated and no doubt did a good job but I feel uncomfortable watching knowing what went down so I'll leave others to comment more thoroughly on how that went.

I see that the Ladies will be skating at the time tomorrow, which means I'm gonna miss it :( I can't stay up that late! So best of luck to all the ladies tomorrow and may butts be kicked, jumps be clean, spins rotated and no falls!