Patrick Chan | Page 287 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Violet Bliss thanks for pointing out the goal setting.

I do want to say that though I have less expectations I'll still be judging Patrick's actions towards achieving his goal. That includes increasing the technical difficulty of his programs, which was initially why you spoke about goals. In the era when men are doing three different quads and many are doing two, one type of quad is not going to cut it. I think that is also part of why Patrick gave up on winning Worlds this year - he tried to add the quad Salchow but it didn't work out, so he increased his tech with another 4T and 3A but that wasn't enough. Realistically speaking he knows he needs more quads. And if he doesn't include them then I have to wonder how far he is willing to go to win. I'm waiting to see what he does before hoping for that OGM.

There are two parts to your thinking here. To you they are cause and effect. You look at the environment and accordingly set the criteria of winning. Then you assess what Patrick needs to have a chance of winning, which you decide he does not have. Thus you refuse to hope until he his fulfilled your criteria.

Let me address the hope part first, which I did with a long winded post earlier. Basically, you refuse to hope for fear of disappointment which to you would be more intense than the joy of hope. What if you eliminate disappointment? Decide that you will not be disappointed no matter what, then could you simply enjoy the hope? Joy without pain!

Then there is a matter of winning. We have enough experiences from previous events big and small to know it is really not predictable and out of our control. It does not necessarily happen according to conditions you or I set, as logical and realistic as they may be. As a competitor, Patrick needs to do his part of preparation for competition, physical, mental and emotional. In accordance with formula for success, the winning mindset is a prerequisite, indispensable even with all the training and the technical prowess. Ask Mohamed Ali. As Patrick's supporter and knowing that he does want to win along with his other goals, I am not going to exclude it from my hope and expectation. And neither should Patrick.

BTW, it was not in Patrick's plan to introduce the 4S last season. He and his coach had mapped out a progressive plan to reintroduce the big elements in his programs for his comeback without risking injuries. They achieved the goal with 2 quads and 2 3As beautifully executed in his LP at 4CC. A repeat performance would have put him on the Worlds podium but their deliberate ruling out winning resulted in the unfortunate circumstances and an out of podium finish. I cited various observations and examples as demonstrations of the such metaphysical consequences.

I look forward to see his 4S next season. I won't be disappointed if he does not do it.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Violet Bliss thanks for pointing out the goal setting.

I just want to add something about negative goal setting and conditional goal setting. People often self impose conditions of achieving their goals, or making their achievements sequential and consequential, e.g. to have happiness after success, to have love after weight loss, to win only if self determined amount of hard work has been put in, etc. when they are really separate goals and not necessarily dependent or consequential unless you make them so. Thus, performance and winning are separate goals even if they are often associated.

Steven Bradbury just wanted to have his best performance but notice he did not rule out winning. I LOL :rofl: when it happened live! Another funniest win in speed skating was when a non contender rushed out in front early against all smart strategies in a long distance event. The contenders ignored him but were watching one another. He ended up lapping them all and tucking himself comfortably right behind everybody, looking like he was dead last but won easily by almost a lap! See, there are many many ways to win so why rule it out? Winning is not in conflict with performing well. They are neither conditional or exclusive.

Do well. Win. Have it all, Patrick. Above all, be happy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I assume it's Jean Luc Baker who posted it. All three trained at DSC. My question is "where"? Montreal? A show somewhere else, since they all have skates on, and the other two dudes wear the same costumes?

Yes, Jean-Luc's Instagram shows himself reunited with Patrick and Elladj.

They are reunited at DSC -- where the club's ice show starts today.
(Jean-Luc and Elladj are scheduled to perform on all four days of the show; Patrick only on Sat and Sun.)

The DSC Facebook page has had tons of photos of show prep.
Among the latest batch (which was posted today) are pics including Jean-Luc and Elladj in their bright blue jackets/tops.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
There are two parts to your thinking here. To you they are cause and effect. You look at the environment and accordingly set the criteria of winning. Then you assess what Patrick needs to have a chance of winning, which you decide he does not have. Thus you refuse to hope until he his fulfilled your criteria.

Let me address the hope part first, which I did with a long winded post earlier. Basically, you refuse to hope for fear of disappointment which to you would be more intense than the joy of hope. What if you eliminate disappointment? Decide that you will not be disappointed no matter what, then could you simply enjoy the hope? Joy without pain!

Then there is a matter of winning. We have enough experiences from previous events big and small to know it is really not predictable and out of our control. It does not necessarily happen according to conditions you or I set, as logical and realistic as they may be. As a competitor, Patrick needs to do his part of preparation for competition, physical, mental and emotional. In accordance with formula for success, the winning mindset is a prerequisite, indispensable even with all the training and the technical prowess. Ask Mohamed Ali. As Patrick's supporter and knowing that he does want to win along with his other goals, I am not going to exclude it from my hope and expectation. And neither should Patrick.

BTW, it was not in Patrick's plan to introduce the 4S last season. He and his coach had mapped out a progressive plan to reintroduce the big elements in his programs for his comeback without risking injuries. They achieved the goal with 2 quads and 2 3As beautifully executed in his LP at 4CC. A repeat performance would have put him on the Worlds podium but their deliberate ruling out winning resulted in the unfortunate circumstances and an out of podium finish. I cited various observations and examples as demonstrations of the such metaphysical consequences.

I look forward to see his 4S next season. I won't be disappointed if he does not do it.

I just want to add something about negative goal setting and conditional goal setting. People often self impose conditions of achieving their goals, or making their achievements sequential and consequential, e.g. to have happiness after success, to have love after weight loss, to win only if self determined amount of hard work has been put in, etc. when they are really separate goals and not necessarily dependent or consequential unless you make them so. Thus, performance and winning are separate goals even if they are often associated.

Steven Bradbury just wanted to have his best performance but notice he did not rule out winning. I LOL :rofl: when it happened live! Another funniest win in speed skating was when a non contender rushed out in front early against all smart strategies in a long distance event. The contenders ignored him but were watching one another. He ended up lapping them all and tucking himself comfortably right behind everybody, looking like he was dead last but won easily by almost a lap! See, there are many many ways to win so why rule it out? Winning is not in conflict with performing well. They are neither conditional or exclusive.

Do well. Win. Have it all, Patrick. Above all, be happy.

Violet I'm going to reply together and then let us agree to move on and let the fans celebrate Patrick. PM me please if you'd like to continue.

In any sport that is not based on beating a clock you have to consider the environment and other athletes. In a sport where men need quads to be on the podium then unless the men with the quads have a melt down (kind of like 2016 Junior Worlds) you cannot win just doing triples. Adam Rippon is an example of that this year. He had brilliant performances but could not crack the top 5 with just triples (and that under-rotated 4Lz). How do you propose we set the criteria of winning? Moving, clean performances that are not technically on par with other top athletes will not guarantee a win.

As for hope, no I don't want to have false hope. As harsh as this sounds, I don't want to be disappointed again when it comes to Patrick. That is my personal choice from experience. That's why I wish Patrick well but do not hope or expect much. It'd be great to see him do some of the amazing things he's capable of but if he chooses not to do them then there is no harm. I am no longer expecting him to be the best. If he is, that's great. If he's not, oh well. I'll still enjoy what he puts out there, and I suspect so will most of you.

This thing is, in order to win you have to give it everything. Everything artistically, everything technically. If that means upping your game, then you do it. No one should go into the Olympics hoping that their rivals will mess up enough for them to win. You should be at the top of your game to the point that you are not beatable unless you have a meltdown. I've seen Hanyu fans understand this quite clearly - if your rivals learn new tricks, you keep up. That is the bare minimum I want to see from Patrick. He doesn't skate in a vacuum, and he cannot expect his rivals to make mistakes. He's already no longer earning the highest PCS. He has no cushion left PCS-wise. What's the next step when you've got a ceiling for PCS anyways? Up your TES. That's what I want to see, and I want him to do it seriously. The two 3As and extra 4T were nice, but he knows he needs more than that to keep up with Fernandez, Hanyu, Jin, and now Uno. Especially when he has pops and turns the quad into a triple regularly.

And yes, his coach and him had a plan. After GPF he tried to change it up. He practised quad Salchows. He hurt himself, and gave up on including it this season. Bev Smith wrote about it here. He also states here the limitations he's put on himself. That's where some of my questions come from - I know he's capable of more technically, but he's already stated that he won't do four quads in a program. I can bet you that some men are going to be doing just that next year because they are pushing themselves technically and have a strong desire to win. These are not limitations I'm putting on Patrick, but the ones he's choosing for himself.

As for the second part of your post: I'd like to see him win doing his best, regardless of what everyone else does. He should be aiming to be technically untouchable while also aiming to win. I'm not sure what else to say to convey this opinion.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Hi all,

My project is still in progress but is viewable now. Please go to pcskatingfan.com and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hi all,

My project is still in progress but is viewable now. Please go to pcskatingfan.com and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

:clap::clap::clap: Well done, vivley! Kudos for the initiative and effort to actually design a beautiful site for Patrick!

I don't know which translator you use but it does an admirable job, and a funny one too when WeaPo is translated as 武器 (weapon) as in the caption for their pic: Patrick 與武器的美麗照片 !(Beautiful photo of Patrick and weapon!) :biggrin:

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks, guys! I couldn't believe that there was no up-to-date site devoted to Patrick. Anyway, I just had to scratch this itch, so I did it.

VB, the Weglot translation plugin is far from perfect but does a better job than Google Translate because it allows me to make some tweaks to the translation. Glad you found a funny one that I didn't touch yet. :laugh: Imagine if it had said "Canada's secret WeaPo".

4everchan, if you have the time and inclination to do so, you are welcome to write a guest post on Patrick's music.

I love it vivley!! 😍 This is now my browser opening site

Aw, thanks, Kuan!

Between here, Twitter, and my site, you'll probably see things reposted more than once. But that's okay, because my goal is to spread the word about Patrick and his skating. Happy browsing!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks, guys! I couldn't believe that there was no up-to-date site devoted to Patrick. Anyway, I just had to scratch this itch, so I did it.

VB, the Weglot translation plugin is far from perfect but does a better job than Google Translate because it allows me to make some tweaks to the translation. Glad you found a funny one that I didn't touch yet. :laugh: Imagine if it had said "Canada's secret WeaPo".

4everchan, if you have the time and inclination to do so, you are welcome to write a guest post on Patrick's music.

Aw, thanks, Kuan!

Between here, Twitter, and my site, you'll probably see things reposted more than once. But that's okay, because my goal is to spread the word about Patrick and his skating. Happy browsing!

let's see what music he picks next :) :) :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
OMG, vivley, did you create the fan site all on your own? Wow....I thought you created one video clip, so "Where is it within the site?, All I can see is posts and posts, and I don't see any posts updated today or yesterday" or "What she meant was for us to see the front page design?" And then kaboom!

YOU CREATE THE WHOLE SITE!!! NOT JUST ONE CONTENT!!!!!

This must be taking a great deal of time. You have my deepest respect!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Hi Crossover,

Yes, I did create the fan site on my own and it's been a great learning experience. Haha, it would be nice to create a video someday, since I do have an avid interest in that medium! I'm glad you like it!

OMG, vivley, did you create the fan site all on your own?

This must be taking a great deal of time. You have my deepest respect!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!

I plan on making updates and improvements throughout the summer so that by the time skating season starts, it will be a robust site. Right now I'm working on adding a music page to list Patrick's program music and a page to list motivational quotes. Plus, there are so many other Patrick-related pages to create!

I added an Events & Appearances page last night - I noticed that Flat Rock Cellars had the wrong link to his Facebook event page, so I let them know and posted the correct link on Twitter. If any of you are going, right now it's only showing that 1 person is going to the event??!! I'm sure more will show up unannounced.

If you have any ideas for the site, I welcome your suggestions.