Patrick Chan | Page 289 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
He talks exactly like he does in interviews he was pretty formal but very approachable. The worst he could say was no if he didn't want to talk about his programs so I just asked. You're welcome to include my photo and if you want to mention it I don't mind.

Thanks, Krunchii! Perhaps we the fans will be able to interview him ourselves in the future! :biggrin:

All, here's a photo from the Flat Rock Cellars event:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG0OEg7DVKZ/

Here's one from the LCBO:

https://twitter.com/EmperorNerd/status/744285359274622976

I will gather the rest on the fan blog.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He said maybe! I think he's just taking it easy until he feels comfortable with the jump.

I think that perhaps, he is learning his lesson from 2014... the real season that matters here is 2018. If in 2016-2017, he is still needing more time to solidify what he has as a current layout, while training the 4S, that's fine. I think we need to remember that when Patrick has a jump, he has it... when he brought his 4T, he brought them royally. There was no season of ups and downs with them really... They were there... so when his 4S is there (and I still would want to know if he is trying 4F or even 4Lz as it I believe his toe jumps are a bit stronger than his edge jumps), he can bring it on and it should be stable.. it is totally fine if it happens only at 2018 games... and takes him to the top, like it did in 2011 when he got his 4T. :)

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Here's my recap of yesterday's events. Thanks, Krunchii, I did use your photo and mention what you said about Patrick's skating.

http://pcskatingfan.com/2016/06/patrick-chan-meets-fans-ontario/

Everyone, if you have any music suggestions for Patrick, please give them to me and I'll be glad to compile a list on my blog. I can also go back through these forums, but if you have any additional picks, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
lol scroll back for mine :) i'm on holiday :) :laugh2:
Here's my recap of yesterday's events. Thanks, Krunchii, I did use your photo and mention what you said about Patrick's skating.

http://pcskatingfan.com/2016/06/patrick-chan-meets-fans-ontario/

Everyone, if you have any music suggestions for Patrick, please give them to me and I'll be glad to compile a list on my blog. I can also go back through these forums, but if you have any additional picks, let me know. Thanks!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
today is our let's disagree day dear crossover :)

purist me doesn't like these pieces at all ... we call them crossover (nothing to do with your username as I suppose it is related to crossovers in figure skating!!!) ... crossover is a "lighter" version of classical music, sort of combining pop with classical... those are two fine examples you gave... lots of movie music can fit into this... for instance schindler's list or the piano would.

purists just dislike those a lot... so it would be very painful for me if patrick chose one of these... i'd cry non-stop for a year until the next program comes out... i was lucky i ddin't follow figure skating much when he skated to POTO.. hahaha it would have been equally painful.

but, i am just one of Patrick's many fans... and I will accept whatever he brings us ;)

let's resume to agreeing with each other tomorrow ;)
My music suggestion for Patrick; very romantic piano pieces

Warsaw Concerto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0QEpXYmUw

Cornish Rhapsody https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSg7yyrQX28

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Haha, it is okay to dislike my suggestion because the music can be very reminiscent of Rachmaninoff's works. Therefore such musics sound very familiar to many people's ear, but also can give an impression like not authentic or not original. We had a disagreement on Prokofiev's Piano Concertos previously, so I understand your purist stance. :) While I've complied video clips of past Olympic performance, I was fascinated by the musics. While the musics are beautiful, the skaters to music didn't get much attention because of their mistakes here and there. So I thought Patrick known for performing great to classical music, especially piano music pieces, could utilize the music very well. But that can be just me.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
prokofiev is real classical but i find him shallow :) i would take it over crossover pieces anytime...

to show i am agreeable... :) here's something by prokofiev ;) i played this piece a very long time ago... cannot tell you how long... it makes me very old :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRls_Kjt9I

it's very fun and well as i said shallow :) but there is a beautiful melody here
Haha, it is okay to dislike my suggestion because the music can be very reminiscent of Rachmaninoff's works. Therefore such musics sound very familiar to many people's ear, but also can give an impression like not authentic or not original. We had a disagreement on Prokofiev's Piano Concertos previously, so I understand your purist stance. :) While I've complied video clips of past Olympic performance, I was fascinated by the musics. While the musics are beautiful, the skaters to music didn't get much attention because of their mistakes here and there. So I thought Patrick known for performing great to classical music, especially piano music pieces, could utilize the music very well. But that can be just me.

PS

since you like more "romantic" Prokofiev sonata number 1 might please you

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
prokofiev is real classical but i find him shallow :) i would take it over crossover pieces anytime...

to show i am agreeable... :) here's something by prokofiev ;) i played this piece a very long time ago... cannot tell you how long... it makes me very old :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRls_Kjt9I

it's very fun and well as i said shallow :) but there is a beautiful melody here

PS

since you like more "romantic" Prokofiev sonata number 1 might please you

Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I like the "romantic piece by Prokofiev. The music is like water flowing away. As for your assessment on Prokofiev's music being shallow, I don't know how to describe his music because I don't have profound knowledge of music. However, what I like about Prokofiev's Piano concertos is when I listen to the works, it is like I'm washing my teeth or my face with very clean and cold water in the morning. I know that is a weird comparison, but the musics give me like cleansing my brain, so when I sometimes really need to focus on my work or have to come up with some idea, I listen to his music. :laugh: The world of classical music is so wide and deep, so there are many music that I have never heard before.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
shallow classical music... like prokofiev... for me... (and some colleagues) is when a composer uses "cheap" flashy tricks.... over and over... prokofiev does that in his concertos and sonatas, everywhere. However, he is also capable of writing beautiful melodies. For instance, his 2nd piano concerto, the opening is AMAZING... but in general he favours virtuosity and showmanship over depth. After such a beautiful opening, it just goes downhill into how can one makes this piece as virtuoso as possible ;)

the middle section of his first concerto is nice too.... Here Martha Argerich plays... she is special and whenever she comes to town, whatever she is playing, I will go :) The concerto i cannot stand in #3 and unfortunately that's the one everyone plays.

I think if we were going with a romantic piano concerto for Patrick... i'd suggest Rachmaninoff but not the common #2 or #3 or Paganini variations. he could do well with #1
Thanks for the suggestion. Yep, I like the "romantic piece by Prokofiev. The music is like water flowing away. As for your assessment on Prokofiev's music being shallow, I don't know how to describe his music because I don't have profound knowledge of music. However, what I like about Prokofiev's Piano concertos is when I listen to the works, it is like I'm washing my teeth or my face with very clean and cold water in the morning. I know that is a weird comparison, but the musics give me like cleansing my brain, so when I sometimes really need to focus on my work or have to come up with some idea, I listen to his music. :laugh: The world of classical music is so wide and deep, so there are many music that I have never heard before.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
shallow classical music... like prokofiev... for me... (and some colleagues) is when a composer uses "cheap" flashy tricks.... over and over... prokofiev does that in his concertos and sonatas, everywhere. However, he is also capable of writing beautiful melodies. For instance, his 2nd piano concerto, the opening is AMAZING... but in general he favours virtuosity and showmanship over depth. After such a beautiful opening, it just goes downhill into how can one makes this piece as virtuoso as possible ;)

the middle section of his first concerto is nice too.... Here Martha Argerich plays... she is special and whenever she comes to town, whatever she is playing, I will go :) The concerto i cannot stand in #3 and unfortunately that's the one everyone plays.

I think if we were going with a romantic piano concerto for Patrick... i'd suggest Rachmaninoff but not the common #2 or #3 or Paganini variations. he could do well with #1

This conversation has made me look back on my past when I used to lurk in classical music forums. :) It was fun and informative, so thanks, 4everchan. Anyway, whatever music Patrick would choose for his programs, I'm sure he would not make his fans regretful.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we will see... I trust David Wilson... i am not sure I trust Pasquale.... but, it will be a short program anyways ;)
This conversation has made me look back on my past when I used to lurk in classical music forums. :) It was fun and informative, so thanks, 4everchan. Anyway, whatever music Patrick would choose for his programs, I'm sure he would not make his fans regretful.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
we will see... I trust David Wilson... i am not sure I trust Pasquale.... but, it will be a short program anyways ;)

Pasquale made beautiful programs for Kaetlyn last season, but she couldn't perform them with her full potentials. Besides, among his works for Daiuske Takahashi, I absolutely love his La Strada, so we'll wait and see how he would do for Patrick.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh... i think i expressed myself wrong... i don't doubt his competences, i just am suspicious of he and Patrick having the kind of unity Patrick has had with other choreographers ;) like Jeff for instance for Elegy... or Wilson for the Chopin...
Pasquale made beautiful programs for Kaetlyn last season, but she couldn't perform them with her full potentials. Besides, among his works for Daiuske Takahashi, I absolutely love his La Strada, so we'll wait and see how he would do for Patrick.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Haha, thank you for your suggestions. And unless anyone objects, I may just comb through this fanfest to find previously suggested musical pieces.

I bought another photo for the site - you can see it in the header slider. Enjoy!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
maybe you should check with me so we can reduce the list for my suggestions ... i gave him music for the next 5 olympics.... hahahaha :) nice photo ;) love the site!!!
Haha, thank you for your suggestions. And unless anyone objects, I may just comb through this fanfest to find previously suggested musical pieces.

I bought another photo for the site - you can see it in the header slider. Enjoy!

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
maybe you should check with me so we can reduce the list for my suggestions ... i gave him music for the next 5 olympics.... hahahaha :) nice photo ;) love the site!!!

Lol, post your list of what you think is relevant for the next two years, then. :)

Go to this photo page if you want to see the entire image of all of the purchased images I used on my site.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hehe.. but i am on holidays ;) hahahahaha

here are the next 2 years...

Ravel piano concerto 2nd mvt
(2017 LP)
Schumann Rhenish Symphony 1st mvt (victory LP music for 2018)

Rachmaninoff Vocalise for 2018 SP
Goldfrapp lovely head for 2017 SP (to show I can find something that is not classical)

Lol, post your list of what you think is relevant for the next two years, then. :)

Go to this photo page if you want to see the entire image of all of the purchased images I used on my site.

:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
oh lord ;) haha

what i love about patrick is that he is so close to so many other skaters lile Eric, Andrew, Scott and Javi... it speaks volume about how kind and friendly he is. and of course, how much people love him...

Thank you, 4everchan! I'll add these to the list.

In the meantime, Eric Radford tweeted a funny one about Patrick: