spin entrance and loop problems | Golden Skate

spin entrance and loop problems

Sara D

Spectator
Hello all,
I was wondering if someone can help me out on a few things that I am having trouble with on the ice:

1. Spin entrance - I have analysed so may videos in slow motion trying to figure out when does a skater start to spin after the outside edge entrance. When I do a spin I clearly do a too wide of an (so its more like an oval than a semi-circle) and I spin too early. This causes me to spin to far forwards and instead of hearing the "swishy sound" when spinning on the ball of the foot, I hear a "scratchy sound." I am really trying to break this habit, but I need help on how to make my entrance edge deeper when do I actually start to spin so I don't end up too far forward with my blade.

2. ahh the loops, it is basically the same trouble I have with my spins. I mostly have trouble with my forward loops - where I can't seen to get a deep enough edge and my hips are not aligned in the right place to be able to make a correct loop.

Thank you so much for your help!

mskater93

Record Breaker
If your spins aren't correct, you won't be able to do loops. You probably aren't down in the knee enough on your spin entry and are popping up to quickly from the knee bend you have.

Forward loops aren't about depth of edge, they are about control - controlling the skating hip, free leg, shoulders, etc. You have to get everything under control and in alignment and working together to get your loops to work.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
The scratchy sound when you're spinning means that you're too far forward on your blade. You need to shift your weight back a little bit to hit the ball of the foot where you want to be spinning. This isn't a problem with the entrance specifically and can be fixed in the spin proper. As for the entrance to the spin, getting the timing of the skating knee bending down and snapping up is what you need to find. That's most likely what is causing the spin to start too early. Try to think of a hand pushing your skating shoulder forwards as you step into the spin and push against it as you step forwards into the spin.

Loops are not my strong suit, but try taking them slowly and wind up the shoulders past the hips. Loops are largely timing of the knee and pressure of the blade which you just need to figure out by your self through practice.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Assuming you are talking about a forward upright spin, try going into your spin from a standstill on a line, with your feet in a reverse T position (spinning foot in front and perpendicular to the line, with instep of other foot right behind heel of spinning foot and parallel to the line). Bend your knees and ANKLES deeply, then, looking over your skating side shoulder in the direction of travel, lead with your skating side arm and draw a tiny half circle with your blade so that your entrance edge starts and ends on the line (you can see if you started and ended your entrance edge on the line by looking at your tracing after you spin). Don't try to cover any distance on the ice on your entrance edge; think of drawing a circle right in one spot, turning immediately to the left (assuming CCW spinner) rather than pushing out away from the line. Stay down in the knee with your free leg behind you until you are all the way back to the line, then bring your free leg gently to the front while keeping your skating knee bent. You should feel your toepick "hook" and want to start the spin right as you finish your half circle entrance edge. Keep your knee bent and press the ball of the blade into the ice in order to avoid spinning on your toepick.

Last edited: