Mao Asada | Page 194 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

gotoschool

Medalist
I wish the best for Mao tomorrow in the LP. She has given me more than any other skater ever so I wish she would relieve the pressure, relax, and give a performance she is completely satisfied with.

Having not seen Mao's SP performance and not knowing how to find it anywhere, it is hard to say, but many on twitter have commented that Mao's presentation was very beautiful and that Mao's score was too low for just missing the triple axel because even with it she would have 70 points at most or at least that is what I was able to make out from the online translation.

https://twitter.com/goddessofstsq

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
I wish the best for Mao tomorrow in the LP. She has given me more than any other skater ever so I wish she would relieve the pressure, relax, and give a performance she is completely satisfied with.

Having not seen Mao's SP performance and not knowing how to find it anywhere, it is hard to say, but many on twitter have commented that Mao's presentation was very beautiful and that Mao's score was too low for just missing the triple axel because even with it she would have 70 points at most or at least that is what I was able to make out from the online translation.

https://twitter.com/goddessofstsq

Oh yes. I am not saying about her score (I am neither a judge nor an expert.) but I have also seen so many many tweets say that Mao’s performance was “exceptional” even with that failed 3A.
That was very nice challenge for a 26 y/o woman still attempts it in competition and while she knows than anyone else that they would watch for a chance to lower her, though it's a national competition. Besides, she still was able to smile in the Kiss&Cry. What a skater.

I wish the best of luck for Mao tomorrow, too. :hap10:

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I saw Mao's performance in the live feed. Mao had a really beautiful performance except for the popped triple axel, which she managed to come out of quite gracefully thankfully. The steps, expression and skating skills and the rapid spin and pirouette with the skidding stop at the end were the best of the season in my opinion with the most rink coverage, and visually her outfit, make-up and appearance were as stunning as I have ever seen her. The beauty of her skating, steps and expression are mesmerizing. I think Mao received a harsh ur call on her combo, again in my opinion tech crews continue to give a big advantage to pre-rotation of over 180 degrees instead of calculating total rotation which is the foundation of a ur to me. I also thought Mao's PCS scores were far too low considering the improvements in performance, artistry, musical interpretation and speed which is another example of how PCS scores are largely and erroneously tied to tech scores for many skaters, though there is a clear difference. Though, I am unsure because I have been unable to find a protocol, I saw one tweet questioning the value of her step sequence and mentioning a level 3 with +1.3 GOE. I don't know if this is accurate, but I think Mao should have had a level 4 with the highest GOE. I wish Mao all the best in the freeskate. I hope she will skate to satisfy herself.

I am glad that Mao seemed to gain some satisfaction from her performance and not to be too disappointed. But to me and I may be wrong, she did seem a bit sad during and after her interview. I wish she would know that fans like me and I know there are many more value her and her performances infinitely more than some arbitrary score in a subjective system.

I heard that Mao was hitting the triple axel well in warmup, but she hasn't been including them in her runthroughs so it is a matter of getting used to them like this. That's why I hope she practices the triple axel and all her jumps in run through tomorrow

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Thanks to rosewood for this interview and comments about Mao's future intentions.

Q by announcer: What about today's skating?
Mao: In this morning's practice I could land an [triple] axel finally. It was good to me that I could make a challenge today which I wanted to do.

Q by Daisuke: Your ability to create an atmosphere was on your own league. Tell me about your feelings for today's SP?
Mao: I could land an axel this morning. So I was in a good mood for SP. There was a happiness in my mind that I could come up to the condition where I was able to make a challenge.

Q by D: Lots of people came to see your skating. What did you feel?
Mao: I was happy lots of people came to the rink. I could hear people were rooting for me like saying "Ganbatte!" I wished to show them good skating.

Q by D: What are your thoughts for tomorrow?
Mao: I think I'll include a [triple] axel tomorrow too. I wish I'll show a performance that I want to do. And I want to finish this competition without any regrets.

Comment from Daisuke after the interview:
Probably some frustrations remain in her mind but it's Mao who can show her power when she's facing difficulties. I'll keep watching over her with expectations.
_____

Hearing her interview, it sounds to me that she was not focusing on winning a spot for worlds this time to begin with, but it sounds she was just focusing on going up to her own top level and Nationals is a step to the future (next season.) I'm kinda happy to see she was able to make a challenge what she wanted to do. I'll watch over her drama with expectations tomorrow like Daisuke said. :cheer: I'm not devastated this time since Mao was not crying but smiling. Kind of relieved. :)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...he-love-of-skating.99143/page-14#post-4963224

I have heard that Mao was focused on next season in another article from a while back that I translated in google, but I am not sure since I don't speak Japanese.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I am so glad that Mao was smiling and taking it easy, it is like in Boston. Just relax! I wish her the best :)

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Wow, I just watched her SP, she was so alive and so captivating. Based on the score of 60.32 one could not possibly imagine how gorgeous a skate this was. No wonder she smiled brightly after she was done. The performance factor was turned up to eleven and frankly the popped axel did not diminish my enjoyment one bit.

This is one of those performances I'll keep coming back to, and I truly hope it isn't the last we've seen of this program.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
I actually love both her programs this season, be good if she would keep them for next season and work on perfecting them :)

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
by the way I would like to share this intro to the Japanese Nationals this year with you. The graphics was really gorgeous. And of course it ended with Mao!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mao's SP was wonderful! Yes she did not land the 3A but her skating was otherwise glorious and more importantly she looked satisfied!

Good luck in the LP Mao!

yhmafan

Medalist
Wow, I just watched her SP, she was so alive and so captivating. Based on the score of 60.32 one could not possibly imagine how gorgeous a skate this was. No wonder she smiled brightly after she was done. The performance factor was turned up to eleven and frankly the popped axel did not diminish my enjoyment one bit.

This is one of those performances I'll keep coming back to, and I truly hope it isn't the last we've seen of this program.

Totally agree and I like your avatar :thumbsup:

By the way, Mao will try 3A again in her LP! All I/We can do is just praying and wishing the best of luck for her. Mao, you can do it! :ghug:

gotoschool

Medalist
I believe, Mao, you have the resolve and focus to give your most gorgeous performance and that the determination to land all your jumps wonderfully! Ganbatte!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Go Mao!!! Get that 3a and slay your Choreography!! She can do it :yahoo:

cdngirl

On the Ice
I loved Mao's performance. I usually never comment on the costumes but her costume caught my eye from the beginning along with her dramatic make-up. Mao has a strong elegance about her when she's on the ice and, for me, she puts all the other skaters to shame.

While I'm also a fan of one of her competitors I just feel that everything Mao does is done with ease. She skates like a true professional and her competitors just seem so young with a lot to learn because no one in the women's field has such a presence on the ice like Mao. And I mean the women's field internationally, not just in Japan. She skated beautifully today and as always she was a joy to watch. She's in a league of her own and I hope she does really well in the FS. You can do it Mao. You just have to remember that... well... you're Mao!

DiamondDust

Final Flight
I've read posts at the Nationals thread about her FS. While I am saddened to know (she seemed to not have done that well), I'm sure this'll motivate her to do better next time. I can only hope she doesn't rush the 3A, and just take her pace to be ready. I know what she is capable of and so I'll always look forward to see her skates. It'll be awesome if she can still go to Worlds. :)

yhmafan

Medalist
Well done Mao, well done :thank: and thanks for showing us that “the layouts that only I can do and programs that only I can do” as she used to say and even if some jumps did not succeed she could prove it to us again. She said she will continue her competitive career so we’ll have another chance to get to see her skating in competitions next season. yay

Please rest enough and replenish your energy.