Max Aaron | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I think you misunderstood my post. (Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better, but I thought the meaning was relatively clear. I even said that the judging didn't display any pro-host bias.)

I'm sorry... I wasn't intending to chide you... I knew what you meant.

Too many of our contributors seem to pick up little catch phrases, like "home cooking," and they repeat them with an air of knowing all about that sort of thing... when there is no evidence to support their claims.

Perhaps it is the nature of the sport and its fans.

"I'm so knowledgeable about skating and passionate about my favorite. If he doesn't win, then obviously there was some funny business going on."

My apologies for inadvertently suggesting that you were of that ilk.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^they don't even care for the fact that Max isn't well-liked by his own fed. It's not like USFA dislike him or anything, but he isn't their favorite style. And history has geen told. He wasn't even sent to 4CC last season even though if it's other fed it's possible.
So now when he wins a competition by his own efforts, so much hard work, they turn around and say USFA has homecook Max. Seriously...

tulosai

Record Breaker
^they don't even care for the fact that Max isn't well-liked by his own fed. It's not like USFA dislike him or anything, but he isn't their favorite style. And history has geen told. He wasn't even sent to 4CC last season even though if it's other fed it's possible.
So now when he wins a competition by his own efforts, so much hard work, they turn around and say USFA has homecook Max. Seriously...

:rofl: This. I don't buy the argument that USFSA *dislikes* Max either- I don't think they've every truly 'held him down' but they have also definitively never 'held him up' or given him a break, to their own detriment IMO... they have never seemed to fully grasp that he is pretty much literally the only US man at this point with a quad that could be called remotely consistent, and so he is in reality probably the US man who has the greatest hope of medaling at major events if the USFSA would back him, but for some reason they haven't been interested in doing that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I have an alternative theory on Max. I don't think that it is so much that USFSA is against him, but I think they maybe did not think he had paid his dues yet to get their full support - as silly as that sounds.

Max won the US title before ever even competing at a grand prix. Some may see him as a bit of a usurper, as someone who got success before it was due and he had not earned it really. It was not so much that they disliked him, so much as they dislike having to treat someone like a US Champion before they felt the person has earned it. It is sorta like they feel like he jumped the line, so they are just refusing to make eye contact till they think his place in line actually arrives.

Now that Max has been on the GP for some time, and has had some success with it, and has shown himself to do well and behave graciously when assigned to post season events... I think people are treating him more how he should be. I think he has worked passed the tarring of premature success and is not being treated as a skater on equal footing. As stupid as this sounds, I think he needed to compete on the GP a few season before he earned the respect of some of TPTB - I think some saw him as having a respect debt that has now been settled. It is a little like the Shibutanis getting a world bronze early on in their career. Rather than it being a stepping stone, it is almost like they have been held back to be put in their place/back in line after the win.

I think a big reason we see more support for Max now is also that he did not go away, and did not start to ***** and moan. He remained respectful, he continued to show willingness to take chances and grow as a skater and now that he has paid his dues... it has paid off for him. Now people are seeing someone who has paid his dues and is good and are treating him accordingly. Skating is a weird sport and Max has taking a strange path. But he survived and is stronger for it. I am glad he did not get discouraged and am glad he seems to have found something that works for him. I won't like I still like more the Tron Gladiator programs, but i would rather see Black Swan Max on the podium than a pewter Troniator Max.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Noticed today that Max Aaron's FS is viewable on IN *without* a paid subscription:

Commentary from Ryan Bradley.

So many comments in this thread to respond to. Don't know where to begin, but in this post, will just give my two cents that I don't think USFS has anything against Max or his skating style.
Instead of making less controversial choices, USFS sent Max to 2014 Worlds and to 2015 WTT.

And USFS would have been more than happy to send Max to Sochi .... if he had placed in the top two in Boston.
In pre-Sochi promotional efforts starting in Spring 2013 and continuing all year, USFS and the USOC were focusing on Max, Jeremy, and Evan (whose comeback was anticipated). (And Ross, to some extent.)
In addition to Max's potential as a skater, USFS and the USOC recognized that he had a great storyline for an Olympic hopeful: surprise win at Nats after needing to qualify through sectionals; former elite hockey player who decided to concentrate solely on figure skating; perseverance after broken back, body cast, etc.; two sisters who are/were elite skaters too.; etc.; etc.

For better or worse, I don't think "paying dues" is a consideration for USFS regarding any skater.
For example, USFS already started treating Gracie Gold as The Next Big Thing as soon as she won silver at Junior Worlds.

I've been meaning to collect (for posterity) some of the many links related to Max at Skate America. If/when I do, I will keep coming back to gradually edit them into this post.

Team USA bros: Max, Ross, Jason
https://instagram.com/p/9JdqYEm305/ (Oct 22 still photo)​

Artsy shot of Max (taken from behind him)

Photo of Men's post-SP press conference

Max and Jason with their medals

NBC Olympics photo for Motivation Monday - re Max's win at Skate America:

Jackie Wong isolated video of Max's wink at the end of his FS
https://instagram.com/p/9U8Y-mks84/ (video posted Oct 27)​

Team USA tweeted a photo montage incl. Max as one of the nominees for its October awards:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know about trying to say that USFS weren't holding down Max. My thoughts keep going back to that extensive post Mrs P made in the US men's thread and the extremely obvious numbers about the PCS inflation - or in Max's case, lack thereof. At US Nationals, for crying out loud. He certainly didn't get anywhere near the boost that the rest of the top five did (especially Adam who everyone was wuzrobbing).

*shrug*

They can't deny him now. Not with Jason starting slow and Joshua not on the ice yet (or at least not competing yet) and Adam still fixated on his quad Lutz and no Jeremy and Chen still an unpredictable teenager. I have a feeling Max will be the only US man to make the GPF if all goes well at TEB (no offense to Jason but the NHK field is pretty tough), and what can they say then? It'll just be the same old boring line: "Max has no artistry".

144 days to go...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The ever-sociable and curious SnuggleBat picking up a new skill from new friends :yes::

I had seen this photo last week :think::

But I just "caught up" with the punch line :cool::

His temporary mentors must have been so tickled that their protégé ended up winning the whole thing that they were working on :yay:.

I don't know about trying to say that USFS weren't holding down Max. My thoughts keep going back to that extensive post Mrs P made in the US men's thread and the extremely obvious numbers about the PCS inflation - or in Max's case, lack thereof. At US Nationals, for crying out loud. He certainly didn't get anywhere near the boost that the rest of the top five did (especially Adam who everyone was wuzrobbing).

*shrug*

They can't deny him now.

Hmmm, thanks for refreshing my memory.
In any case, I agree that USFS can't deny Max now.

And I agree with your previous caveat that we should not risk jinxing him by thinking beyond TEB. One comp at a time. :popcorn:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
golden411, here is Max's interview from NBCSN during Skate America:

https://youtu.be/U-pvYX51Gbs

Many thanks for responding to my request, sabinfire :bow:. And at lightning speed.

Plus at the beginning, you gave us the bonus of the "Challenging Move" with the snippet of Johnny/Tara commentary on Max's FS quads :cool:.

For those who haven't seen this short interview, it is full of Max's big smiles. And I love how he always mentions his parents (and in this case, his grandparents too).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just for grins, a snapshot from the ISU Season's World Ranking at the moment.

Max is #4 with 670 points.

He is the top man among those who have competed in only two ISU events.
The top three -- Samohin, Menshov, Aliev -- have competed in at least three events each. (Four for Samohin.)

And Max is the top U.S. man.
His friend Jason is #7 with 624 points. After Ice Challenge this week (his third event), no doubt Jason will rise above Max.

At the moment, Dolensky and Rippon, who both will compete at Skate Canada, are #19 and #43, respectively. (Rippon is tied for #43.)
Skate Canada will be the third comp for Dolensky and the second for Rippon.

I realize that the SWR will keep changing every week throughout the GP season. Again, just preserving a snapshot :).

1 1020 Daniel SAMOHIN
ISR 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 225 225 300 270
2 805 Konstantin MENSHOV
RUS 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 262 0 300 243
3 703 Dmitri ALIEV
RUS 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 250 250 203 0
4 670 Max AARON
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 400 0 270 0
5 651 Alexander SAMARIN
RUS 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 250 182 219 0
6 648 Deniss VASILJEVS
LAT 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 225 225 198 0
7 624 Jason BROWN
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 324 0 300 0
8 585 Julian Zhi Jie YEE
MAS 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 182 133 270 0
9 571 Matteo RIZZO
ITA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 164 164 243 0
10 558 Shoma UNO
JPN 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 360 0 198 0
11 500 Chafik BESSEGHIER
FRA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 0 0 250 250
11 500 Nathan CHEN
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 250 250 0 0
13 495 Keiji TANAKA
JPN 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 0 0 270 225
14 456 Ross MINER
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 213 0 243 0
15 455 Adian PITKEEV
RUS 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 236 0 219 0
16 453 Roman SADOVSKY
CAN 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 250 203 0 0
16 453 Sota YAMAMOTO
JPN 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 250 203 0 0
18 450 Vincent ZHOU
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 225 225 0 0
19 438 Timothy DOLENSKY
USA 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 0 0 219 219
20 423 Michal BREZINA
CZE 2015/2016 season (100%) 0 0 0 225 198

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I hope no one takes this post the wrong way. It's understandable we're a little sensitive right now, considering the (unjustified) negativity post-Skate America. So, for the record, I will state: I like Max, I'm so glad he won, he absolutely deserved it since he was the only one who showed up to compete for both segments of the competition. No, it wasn't perfect, but it was a step above everyone else.

So with all that being said, I have a question. I took a break during the off season, and basically didn't follow any skating. The last time I saw Nessun Dorma and Black Swan, it was WTT. I was pleasantly surprised by Nessun Dorma and prefer the SkAm version over the WTT one. But Black Swan...

...what happened to that glorious ChSq at the end?!?! I saw he'd won, watched the skate. He was skating so well, and I was really looking forward to that finale... and then it just ends on a spin. Could someone who followed the program throughout the summer explain to me what's going on? (Or did I miss it somehow in my excitement about his win? :scratch:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So with all that being said, I have a question. I took a break during the off season, and basically didn't follow any skating. The last time I saw Nessun Dorma and Black Swan, it was WTT. I was pleasantly surprised by Nessun Dorma and prefer the SkAm version over the WTT one. But Black Swan...

...what happened to that glorious ChSq at the end?!?! I saw he'd won, watched the skate. He was skating so well, and I was really looking forward to that finale... and then it just ends on a spin. Could someone who followed the program throughout the summer explain to me what's going on? (Or did I miss it somehow in my excitement about his win? :scratch:)

It's all right, Sandpiper. I share your grief!

The ChSq was in place as recently as Nebelhorn a few weeks ago. However, since then they have completely recut the music and completely restructured the program. The music for the coda is not in this cut, so I guess they had trouble finding a new place for the coda-inspired ChSq. I do like the new ChSq, it's very nice, but I'm afraid it pales in comparison to the original ChSq...

It looks as though they are rebuilding the LP, but sadly, I think that glorious ChSq might be gone forever. :no: But this was always on the cards. In that TSL interview Phillip did say he wasn't sure about the music cut or that it would be the "final cut". Still...if only Phillip did have social media, perhaps he would have realised how much the fans loved the ChSq. But maybe they got negative feedback from the judges or something.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I also mourn the choreographic sequence so I don't think you sound negative at all!! I will continue to hope for its swift return but like karne I do fear that, in reality, it's gone forever...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Felt it necessary to post this ;adlkfhja;erjh adorable bromantic picture that papagena posted in the US men's thread.

The CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE. I'm ded from all the cuuuuuuuuute!

Thx to karne :) and papagena :).

The original Facebook post of the Max/Jason photo had quotes attached:

"I want to grow and I want to become one of the best. And if I can’t, I’m going to go down swinging. That’s going to be my story." Max Aaron

"It was such an honor to be up there with Max and Shoma. They are amazing and it was so cool to watch them today." Jason Brown

https://www.facebook.com/figureskatingmag/photos/pcb.10154279353467538/10154279321942538/?type=3

Another Max/Jason photo is not as epic, but I like the body language of their heads leaning toward each other:
Funny how the light happens to make the bling on Jason's costume look especially sparkly.

Very cute also that as they waited off ice for the medal ceremony to begin, Max was so busy chatting with Jason and Kori that someone had to come and literally pull Max away to get him into position just in time for the start of the ceremony as he was announced as the gold medalist.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And sabinfire has uploaded Max's FS as shown on NBCSN with Weir/Lipinski commentary:

Thank you, sabinfire :).

I do suggest to other fans of the SnuggleBat that if you plan to watch this, have a British Eurosport version of it handy as a chaser to cleanse your palate of the foul taste...

"I want to grow and I want to become one of the best. And if I can’t, I’m going to go down swinging. That’s going to be my story." Max Aaron

That's our SnuggleBat. :love: :love:

Very cute also that as they waited off ice for the medal ceremony to begin, Max was so busy chatting with Jason and Kori that someone literally had to come and pull Max away to get him into position just in time for the start of the ceremony as he was announced as the gold medalist.

Hehehehehehehe! Poor SnuggleBat probably forgot that he had to go on first!

Aside: for :drama: purposes, I've always thought they should present/announce the podium in reverse order, like they do in F1.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Aside: for :drama: purposes, I've always thought they should present/announce the podium in reverse order, like they do in F1.

The theory i have heard is that they want the first place skater to have the option of using the silver/bronze steps on the way up given that they are walking on skates on carpet trying to get up on the podium. Then again, even the rather little ones seems to figure our how to get on the top step no problem. Though i agree it would be better the other way... just give them a stepping stone if needed!