Top Baby Names of 2003 | Golden Skate

Top Baby Names of 2003

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, RG Jr.'s name is high on that list. When I named her 9 years ago (actually, 10, because I picked out the name immediately upon learning I was pregnant), no one had this name! Thanks to the media for ruining my originality. :\

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I wonder if the popularity of "Aidan" for boys has anything to do with the "Sex and the City" character.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
RealtorGal

I know what you mean. 18 years ago my daughter was the first Sarah I had ever known. However, by the time she went to school, she had to be known by her first name and last initial. She thinks I saved all the originality for her younger sister.

On the other hand, my younger daughter thought I had given her a much less common name to make her life difficult. She has grown to like her name now, because she has a ton of neat nicknames from it. Now, I'm the only one to call her by her beautiful name:cry:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Both of my boy's names are on the boy's list.......I guess that's a good thing? 42

I never had any children, but I have tons of cousins and some neices/nephews great neice/nephews and a great great nephew....the only ones with a name from the list is my grt. grt. nephew, Tyler and a cousin, Michael.

I like the names on the boys list more than the girls'. When I was young I had romantic ideas of naming a girl Heather Brook, but now I hate that combination! I like Katie Michelle. And for a boy, I would've used the name Jacob-Patrick Michael, JP for short.

eliza88

On the Ice
Yeah, both of my daughter's names are NOT on the list (and neither is mine!!) I chose more old-fashioned names for the girls but for a few years my eldest daughters name hit the top 10...

I remember how big the name Lisa was when I was in grade school--I swear, one year I had 4 Lisa's in my class! John's were also everywhere...

eliza88

Now I'm really feeling my age. I've never heard of the name "Aidan" before.

Mathman

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Eliza, it has become stylish to give old-fashioned names to children these days. I can only comfort myself by knowing that NO ONE with her first name will also have her middle name, which is an oddball Hebrew name that means HALO.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
SusanBeth said:
I know what you mean. 18 years ago my daughter was the first Sarah I had ever known. However, by the time she went to school, she had to be known by her first name and last initial.

I didn't really have this problem in elementary or high school, since I was pretty much the only Sarah, but now, in University, Sarah is one of the most common names. 2 of my very close friends are named Sarah.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Reminds me of a Designing Women episode where Julia was talking about the trends in first names and she said something about, "Yes, in 50 years the children Ethel and Hortense are going to be running around playing in the yard while their grandmothers Tiffany and Brittany sit on the porch drinking iced tea."....:D

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Now I'm really feeling my age. I've never heard of the name "Aidan" before.

Mathman

Scott Hamilton's son's first name is Aiden

and Scott was hoping that his son would have a unique name! OOPS! :laugh:

guinevere

Final Flight
I had a friend in college whose mother was Dutch. My friend's older sister was given a Dutch first name and an American middle name; by the time my firend was born, they thought an American first name would be easier for the child, so she got a very common American first name and a Dutch middle name. Both girls switched to their middle names when they went to college - the older one because she was sick of having to explain her Dutch name, the younger because she hated being one of a thousand Heathers (right around the time the movie came out, too)!! The grass is always greener....

guinevere