2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Rhythm Dance

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think G&F's RD would work better if they dubbed the song as SHE's gotta be fast and SHE's gotta be strong and SHE's gotta be Larger Than Life.

Leave Charlene's costume the same-it is totally Marvel comics she- hero.

Dress Marco in a man-on-the-street costume.

Because the way it is, I roll my eyes every time at "HE's gotta be Larger than life."

Because Marco just isn't.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I also miss the very old ice dance, I don't watch older Free skating programs that much, as I do think free skating today is much more positive than free skating 20years ago. But in many ways, older ice dance just feels fantastic to watch, and I don't think it will ever be as exciting in some ways (I.e. 2008 and before). Due to the rules of the sport rather than the skaters of course, I am huge Tessa and Scott fan.
I've recently gotten into watching older competitions (being a young millenial myself 😅). I really liked some of the original dances circa 1990s/early 2000s especially the waltz and quicksteps (e.g. Grishuk/Platov 1995). The OSPs from earlier are also interesting. When they first dumped the pattern dance section last season, I was hoping for the pattern type step sequence to have more of this (interestingly partnered footwork where the steps reflect the music). But what we have now is often more a case of one person doing their turns while holding onto the other person who skates around pushing them, and then they switch around. I get that it makes it easier to do clean turns, but it often makes for very unmemorable step sequences.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think G&F's RD would work better if they dubbed the song as SHE's gotta be fast and SHE's gotta be strong and SHE's gotta be Larger Than Life.

Leave Charlene's costume the same-it is totally Marvel comics she- hero.

Dress Marco in a man-on-the-street costume.

Because the way it is, I roll my eyes every time at "HE's gotta be Larger than life."

Because Marco just isn't.
I laughed at the height joke, not to ruin it but Larger than Life is defined by (using goole definition): attracting special attention because of unusual and flamboyant appearance or behaviour. I think it makes sense, then again I am probably blind for my favourites 🤣.
I've recently gotten into watching older competitions (being a young millenial myself 😅). I really liked some of the original dances circa 1990s/early 2000s especially the waltz and quicksteps (e.g. Grishuk/Platov 1995). The OSPs from earlier are also interesting. When they first dumped the pattern dance section last season, I was hoping for the pattern type step sequence to have more of this (interestingly partnered footwork where the steps reflect the music). But what we have now is often more a case of one person doing their turns while holding onto the other person who skates around pushing them, and then they switch around. I get that it makes it easier to do clean turns, but it often makes for very unmemorable step sequences.
Pattern type steps now are done purely to tick boxes unfortunately. Almost always on the slowest music. I would like to see a "little" more variety in this section, and like you say it's often least memorable part of the program.

As "boring" as PDs are I can't help but watching over Grishuk/Platov silver samba, Klimova and Ponomarenko Westminster waltz, Fusar Poli/Margaglio ravensberg waltz. Tessa and Scott Golden waltz/Tango Romantica.

For me, some of the best original dances were in the season of the 2006 Olympics (yes that event was cursed). Delonel/shoenfelder for example was an underrated couple before.

Although, if I have to come back to any original dance I would say 1994, Torville and Dean. Yes they were probably not athletic prime, and not very fast compared to their younger selves, but watch his knees. Such knee and ankle bend throughout, that is so rare most of the time. Whilst maintaining perfect posture. Her technical movements and turns in such awkward/difficult positions. They were probably very slow compared to prime torville and dean and Grishuk/Platov but the hold work and knee work was supreme.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In interviews I think she said something about getting to skate with Scott a lot. I think Madi probably had huge influence with skating technique but skating with Scott (I.e. in holds etc) probably helped her improve the level.
Good point. And since Anthony was injured and recovering so much of the time, I can see why she skated a lot with Scott.