Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
My heart breaks for Dai. He is the best male skater in the world in terms of choreo and interp but he is hurt and cannot jump at the moment. What to do? Oda can jump but for me he still comes off as a junior.
Kozuka is also hurt but less so. I am not a fan of Machida's skating but he is on fire(bird). What to do what to do? BTW who was the kid in the kiss and cry who looked about twelve years old? I missed his skate due to buffering. He was in the final flight?

merleice

Rinkside
And the Japanese federation got a lot of criticism for that one. I think the issue here is in general Daisuke's results have been going downhill in general.

Kozuka is also a former world medalist himself.

Add in Daisuke's injury too. The Japanese fed need to consider that Kozuka could fight for an Olympic medal too. So it really might not be wise to leave Dai off.

Criticism in 2005 didn't stop JSF from passing over Yukari Nakano in 2009 in favour of Miki Ando again. Yes Takahashi has been inconsistent but he was splendid in NHK trophy, has performed better than Kozuka internationally this season, and is ranked 3rd in the world, the highest ranked Japanese man after Yuzuru. Kozuka has also been inconsistent and has been reported to be dealing with a congenital hip problem that can only be fixed with surgery and which has affected his consistency. He postponed the surgery to try for an Olympic spot. It's heartbreaking, really, no matter who is chosen :cry:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Criticism in 2005 didn't stop JSF from passing over Yukari Nakano in 2009 in favour of Miki Ando again. Yes Takahashi has been inconsistent but he was splendid in NHK trophy, has performed better than Kozuka internationally this season, and is ranked 3rd in the world, the highest ranked Japanese man after Yuzuru. Kozuka has also been inconsistent and has been reported to be dealing with a congenital hip problem that can only be fixed with surgery and which has affected his consistency. He postponed the surgery to try for an Olympic spot. It's heartbreaking, really, no matter who is chosen :cry:

The Ando situation in 2010 does not compare. The Japanese federation announced that a medal at GPF would secure a spot on the team. Ando was a reigning world medalist, and she was the best at the GP of all the Japanese ladies. Two golds if I recall She placed a close second at the GPF to Yu-na. Ando was also fourth and not fifth.

Ando earned her spot by strong consistent skating.

Dai has pretty much had one good skate this year as has Kozuka. To compare Ando's season in 2010 to Daiuske's would be wrong.

SimplyLex

On the Ice
I hate this! I love BOTH Takahashi and Kozuka, I want BOTH to go to Sochi. Much moreso than I want Machida or Hanyu to. Such a tough choice by the Japanese fed, no matter what they do, someone will end up crushed and some people will question whatever decision they make.
I still think they will choose Dai, though. He's been named a gold contender already, regardless of what form he's actually in at this point.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
why trust Machida to give better performance than Kozuka?
Because if you watch his actual performances this season, at every competition (instead of cherry-picking some convenient numbers!)... he has been very strong, very consistent, and shown impressive determination and strength of character. I think he's only made one really big mistake (which proved very costly!) at the GPF.

This season, I'd say he looks a much stronger bet than Kozuka - and I think performance this season counts for a lot more than past seasons.

aragray

Rinkside
Because if you watch his actual performances this season, at every competition (instead of cherry-picking some convenient numbers!)... he has been very strong, very consistent, and shown impressive determination and strength of character. I think he's only made one really big mistake (which proved very costly!) at the GPF.

This season, I'd say he looks a much stronger bet than Kozuka - and I think performance this season counts for a lot more than past seasons.

oh okay i see i just wanted clarification on what others thought, thanks ! and also, i tried picking the largest international competitions

TelmoFe

Rinkside
I'm sad because of Daisuke, I'm such a fan. But I think he stills deserves the spot with Yuzuru and Tatsuki. His worst place will be the best place of Oda/Kozuka. He stills a contender to the top 5 and he is more famous than Yuzuru. Not to say he is the best guy in the world in terms of interpretation and choreographie. In these 4 years he was the first japan guy medal in Olympics, the first world champion and the first GPF champion. Silver at 2012 Worlds. And he is a big motor of japanese economy, I believe. This season he ins't good, but the programs are always more beautiful than others!!!!

Thats my unfair point of view... Anyway, it will be a strong selection!

bekalc

Record Breaker
why trust Machida to give better performance than Kozuka? i think neither handle pressure significantly better than the other
Machida: 4th at GPF 2013, 6th GPF 2012, 7th 4CC 2011-2012 were his biggest competitions. How will he handle pressure of Olympics without even world championship experience?
Kozuka also did not prove to handle pressure for last 2 years but if he can perform like 2012 Skate America he stands a better chance than Machida at medalling. he had a hard GP season due to injury but clearly improved for nationals. this is hopeful but i'm still unsure with Machida's ability to cope under pressure. thoughts?

Machida's jumps seem much more stable than Kozuka's. His quad is extremely consistent-Kozuka's is not.

Machida has been skating well all season long and had pretty much one bad skate.

aragray

Rinkside
Machida's jumps seem much more stable than Kozuka's. His quad is extremely consistent-Kozuka's is not.

Machida has been skating well all season long and had pretty much one bad skate.

yeah that's true, thanks for your clarification. i hope the jsf makes a reasonable decision

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^He looked ecstatic in the Kiss & Cry. It's always wonderful to see skaters genuinely happy with their skate and placement.

I'm sad because of Daisuke, I'm such a fan. But I think he stills deserves the spot with Yuzuru and Tatsuki. His worst place will be the best place of Oda/Kozuka. He stills a contender to the top 5 and he is more famous than Yuzuru. Not to say he is the best guy in the world in terms of interpretation and choreographie. In these 4 years he was the first japan guy medal in Olympics, the first world champion and the first GPF champion. Silver at 2012 Worlds. And he is a big motor of japanese economy, I believe. This season he ins't good, but the programs are always more beautiful than others!!!!

Thats my unfair point of view... Anyway, it will be a strong selection!

Beautifully put!

I don't think Daisuke will go to 4CC with his injury? So if he doesn't go to 4CC, Olympics and Worlds was this the last we saw of him? Just let THAT sink in.

I feel so sorry for whoever the two skaters left off the team are. They would win the vast majority of ISU nationals...

I think that Hanyu (Olympic gold looks like it's between him and Chan at the moment) and Machida (a very strong season so far) are the two obvious picks for the Olympic team.

I can't imagine how they're going to decide the third spot though. My heart says give it to Takahashi but he's been going downhill technically and hasn't been consistent recently. Between Kozuka and Oda, it's splitting hairs at this point. I'd probably go with Oda who has had a very successful season so far but when you factor past results and this competition, Kozuka would have the edge. I don't envy the Japanese Fed. :/

I just hope Machida doesn't get bumped off the team given how well he's been skating this season.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Yuzu, Machida and Taka. I have not watched any videos yet.

Heartbreaking interview with Dai. Even though with his injury I am not suprised at his
5th place finish, but still...... :cry:

Gigi13

On the Ice
Well this is heartbreaking, I hope Daisuke gets the third spot and Kozuka gets sent to 2014 worlds and I don't even want to speak about Oda :cry: Congrats to Hanyu each and every time I see him he gets stronger and stronger me, mentally and physically and he kill it, Machida did amazing as well, he's a fighter that one and I respect him a lot and congrats to Taka for bringing his A game. I'm so anxious waiting to see who made the team, I'll be sad for whoever is off the team and it might take me forever to recover from the heartbreak. I can't even watch any videos of Daisuke right now :cry:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Machida is safe. Who could argue against him? That wouldn't make any sense. Funny, the three Olympians of 2010 are fighting for the Olympic spot in 2014. Or not so funny at all.....because it is the last chance for all three of them.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Hopefully Takahashi won't be in the olympics. The most deserving ones at that time should be there, the best ones at the time. He's had his time and it'd be a great disgrace to deny other, promising skaters what they deserve simply due to past accomplishments. I have the same opinion about ice hockey in olympics, for example, with certain countries sending in ~40 year olds because it's their last opportunity or whatever, with complete disregard to the athletes that actually are better at the time.