2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Men SP | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Men SP

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I opted not to get up super early to watch this so I must ask -- did anyone have a really nice standout skate I should go watch?
Sota Yamamoto's skate was very emotional, but the tech was very low level. Daisuke Murakami and Keiji Tanaka landed their Quads beautifully. I would always watch Shoma even if he fell on all his jumps (which he didn't, he didn't fall but his 4T combo cost him) but that's the fan in me speaking. Well, I cannot say there is a MUST WATCH in this competition. Mura's step sequence was nice, though.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I opted not to get up super early to watch this so I must ask -- did anyone have a really nice standout skate I should go watch?

Keiji, then Mura, then Sota.
Sota had a brilliant return, considering his injury, he's got some of his triples back, and the first two had a blast. Best we've seen of Keiji probably, or at least on par with CoC.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Keiji had an excellent skate. The other guys weren't particularly clean so not many must-watches.

While Uno singled the toe loop on his combo (which cost a lot of points since it deducted from his quad whereas a double toe would have put him easily over 100) he was also the only guy to land two quads, including a nice quad flip to open. And I thought his overall performance was great.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker

Sota Yamamoto is a must watch :) Daisuke Murakami also made a strong comeback!

Alifyre

On the Ice
Thank you all!! I'll get right on those! (I already watched Shomita and Keiji, too bad on the 1T for Shoma but Keiji did really well!)

da96103

Record Breaker
Shoma strategy is to feed the Ice Monster
different jumps at every competition before the Olympics so that Monster would leave him alone at the Olympics.

I fed you 4F several weeks ago at IdF. Then I give you a 3A snack at GPF. Today you get a nice 4T combo plate. So you better keep your end of the bargain and leave me alone for a clean Olympic SP.

Latremu

Final Flight
Shoma strategy is to feed the Ice Monster
different jumps at every competition before the Olympics so that Monster would leave him alone at the Olympics.

I fed you 4F several weeks ago at IdF. Then I give you a 3A snack at GPF. Today you get a nice 4T combo plate. So you better keep your end of the bargain and leave me alone for a clean Olympic SP.

Yep, I'd extend that to the FS as well. He offered up the solo 4T in Sk Canada, and the 4L in GPF. :laugh: Let's hope the Ice Monster is now full.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Sota Yamamoto's skate was very emotional, but the tech was very low level.

Given what Sota went through, his tech was very impressive. I'd have hoped a story like his wouldn't have to draw comments about "low tech", especially when on the other hand there are so many complaints about too much tech and resulting splat fests this season.

IMO, Sotas skate was the highlight and must watch of this competition :sad46::luv17:

riminin

Rinkside
Random side note, I was checking out Shoma's awesome SP victory in the standings and this is the first time I've seen a sponsor listed as a skating club. Just curious, is this usual or is there an actual skating club owned by Toyota Motor Corp?

I just get this vision of Toyota developing Shoma as a super-powered skating bean, like the new Aibo or something. :)[/QUOTE

Have you never seen Japan Nats before?

riminin

Rinkside
To me too - it looks like he's caught Yuzuitis when it comes to Nationals. Yuzu also put in lacklustre performances when he was the clear favourite. I think we underestimate how much being National Champion means to these guys, remember Shoma last year and how emotional he was? I think it matters to them only less than the Olympics. Anyway. I think Sho will bring it in the free....

Sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate or fair to draw a parallel to another skater just because Shoma wasn't perfect now... At Nationals 13 right before Sochi Hanyu was brilliant. At 14 Nats he had to perform with an acute health problem and much pain that forced him to withdraw from the following exhibition to undergo a surgery right away. At 15 Nationals he was suffering from the lisfranc problem already which culminated in the 2 months complete rest off the ice right after the Worlds 16. Apart from such and the peaking issue he had after his GPF victories he was mentally very well up to the pressure to be the champion. He's that poised and aggressive. Shoma's mindset is different judging from the interviews he's been giving lately. He wants to win a competition but doesn't want to be burdened with the status/responsibility of a champion, if I understood correctly. Anyway I thought Shoma did great apart from the missed combo and will do great in the free, too.

yude

Record Breaker
Random side note, I was checking out Shoma's awesome SP victory in the standings and this is the first time I've seen a sponsor listed as a skating club. Just curious, is this usual or is there an actual skating club owned by Toyota Motor Corp?

I just get this vision of Toyota developing Shoma as a super-powered skating bean, like the new Aibo or something. :)

Miki Ando and Takahiko Kozuka were sponsored by Toyota in the past, and they were also in the nationals as the members of Toyota.
As for this year, skaters like Mura, Daisuke, Kaori and Mai (happy they got the same sponsor!) are also listed under the sponsors :)

Latremu

Final Flight
Aw, only got to watch Sota now, because my streams were buffering so badly yesterday (until I decided to get that free trial, since Chinese guy's streams weren't working for me). So heartwarming, you could see his joy just to be able to get on the ice, and the crowd cheering him on from the moment he was called to the time he left the ice. I think his expression in skating is better now than when he left, actually. Wonderful, and a good score for someone who was just back on the ice doing singles a few short months ago! I hope his recovery just continues and he gets better and better!