Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
The French were great but 118? Seriously overscored! And the Shibs and C/B were so closed score-wise _ almost a half point separating them. Me thinks the judges carefully scored them close for a reason .... In my mind, C/B should have scored better technically and artistically. Anyway, am happy that after a very difficult and frustrating season, they made it to the podium even though it is not the right spot. :hap93:

Yes, so HAPPY they made it on the podium!!! But darn it, that French pair is sooooo BORING! Of course they are over-scored, lmao! I seriously don't get what is so good about them besides their unison and flow. They lack absolutely ZERO connection on the ice! It's like I am watching two individuals doing a contemporary dance by themselves. Have you ever seen that show "So You Think You Can Dance on TV"? You know those couples that come out doing contemporary free style dances, that what I see in them except they lack zero connection. I think the judges are setting that french pair up against Virtue and Moir as the 1,2 pairs for when they come back to competition, since my understanding is Virtue and Moir now share the same coach as that French pair, which, I don't think is a coincidence, lol.

But definitely, Chock and Bates over the Shibs all the way! I just cannot get into a brother sister program, that's just me though :)

icekiwi

On the Ice
Congratulations to Maddie & Evan for the Bronze!!

(In my opinion, should have been at least a Silver, but I'll take that podium finish given the way politics have been played out)

Just finished watching both the SD and FD for the top couples. Maddie and Evan should have been ahead of the Shibs in both SD & FD (the FD especially!!)

I had chills from the first few movements of the FD, wow......it was SO EMOTIONAL. I was drawn in from the first movement, completely enthralled. I have never seen Evan so emotional. The way he closed his eyes and leaned on Maddie, wow......it was the ease and naturalness of it, not faked.....I didn't see that coming. Whew! I thought I saw the best at 4CC, but this was out of this world. The intensity and chemistry they displayed tonight - I literally had tingles up my back.

If you followed the Russian channel you can hear Tatiana Tarasova's cheering and yelling 'bravo, bravo' and speaking in a whole lot of Russian which I wish someone could interpret for me. Tatiana was completely ecstatic and overjoyed. She was a lot less vocal and ecstatic with the other team's FDs. She was very quiet at Weaver/Poje's FD, wonder why.

I am not an Ice Dance judge, but I felt the French broke hold (skated separately each on his/her own) in 2 places - I felt that part was unnatural (it was also irrelevant to the music) and broke the flow of the dance. The Shibs skated well but really lacked that male/female chemistry - spark - how a man and woman would look at each other in the eyes.

Anyway, well done, Maddie & Evan! Fabulous beyond words!!

And a big thank you to everyone who posted 'live'!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved their performances live in the arena and felt privileged to have been able to see them. I particularly loved the opening moves and the full commitment they gave to them in the FD. I was saddened though by how tepidly the audience received them before they skated compared to the Shibs or many foreign teams especially in the SD. They did well to change minds to a partial standing O by the end of the dance.

Last edited:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

(In my opinion, should have been at least a Silver, but I'll take that podium finish given the way politics have been played out)

Just finished watching both the SD and FD for the top couples. Maddie and Evan should have been ahead of the Shibs in both SD & FD (the FD especially!!)

I had chills from the first few movements of the FD, wow......it was SO EMOTIONAL. I was drawn in from the first movement, completely enthralled. I have never seen Evan so emotional. The way he closed his eyes and leaned on Maddie, wow......it was the ease and naturalness of it, not faked.....I didn't see that coming. Whew! I thought I saw the best at 4CC, but this was out of this world. The intensity and chemistry they displayed tonight - I literally had tingles up my back.

If you followed the Russian channel you can hear Tatiana Tarasova's cheering and yelling 'bravo, bravo' and speaking in a whole lot of Russian which I wish someone could interpret for me. Tatiana was completely ecstatic and overjoyed. She was a lot less vocal and ecstatic with the other team's FDs. She was very quiet at Weaver/Poje's FD, wonder why.

I am not an Ice Dance judge, but I felt the French broke hold (skated separately each on his/her own) in 2 places - I felt that part was unnatural (it was also irrelevant to the music) and broke the flow of the dance. The Shibs skated well but really lacked that male/female chemistry - spark - how a man and woman would look at each other in the eyes.

Bravo on your post!!! I could not AGREE more with your comments!!!! Evan and Madison were magnificent tonight and should have beat the french pair and the Shibutani twins in the dust, LMAO! :))

topaz emerald

Match Penalty

I know what you are talking about, I saw them break hold too. Gosh, that French team does not stir any emotion in me, I just don't get the hype with this pair.

Also the Shibs don't stir any emotion out of me either. But another American sibling pair imo, are way better than the Shibs and I'm averse to sibling couple too. They are still in junior ranks, the Parson siblings, imo, should enter the senior ranks asap. Why are they holding back? They are so good. Unlike Maia and Alex, the Parsons grab my attention even thought they are siblings.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to C/B for winning the Bronze Medal it was truly an outstanding performance!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I would like to know what Tarasova said about it.

She was very happy with their FD. She thinks it was one of their best performances ever. I probably agree with her on that. She also said they lived in that dance, not acted. Only warm words, she loves them and tis FD.

But she was less happy abou the SD. Particularly with their music choice for a waltz part.

As for me, I'm very happy with their result. I was sure they will medal but hoped for a silver at least. I started appreciate them only last season, but now I think I love them. Congratulations :yes2:

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
I loved their free dance last night. I was in the audience as well and it was captivating. I'm super happy they got the bronze, they truly deserved it!! :hap10:

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So many congratulations to Madi & Evan for a brilliant performance of their Rach FD at Worlds. I loved the subtle changes to the program, the emotional connection to each other they demonstrated in the skate, and their performance under pressure was really unbelievable. Such a stellar performance of their FD in the biggest moment of the year, on the biggest stage of the season. Their dedication and hard work really paid off after what can only be described as a difficult season & I hope they are really proud of themselves.

Incidentally, Madi & Evan are now ranked #1 internationally, which is a testament to their consistent international results over the last 3 years. They haven't missed a podium in the past two seasons, which is amazing. So exciting for them and I'm so looking forward to next year already. I think the struggles this year will only help them be a better team in the future.

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

(Also, I just love their exhibition program, and hope they can incorporate part of it into next year's short dance!)

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
Here's the latest tidbit about the stylish (Evan was right to describe her as stylish) Madison Chock:

Best-dressed lady

There are plenty of fabulous divas on this list. Weaver looked stunning all week. Wagner is also impeccably turned out, even coming back from practice. Gilles has an intriguing sense of style.

Winner: Chock. How this woman can look perfectly put together even under an umbrella in the pouring rain is beyond me -- and she always looks spectacular, to be honest. For our tour of Harvard, Chock wore a cute hat, a lovely scarf, a long draping coat, nice little boots and an Yves Saint Laurent bag. She accented with touches of deep crimson -- Harvard's color -- including her hat, her lipstick and her partner Evan Bates' jacket.
(Source: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/04/170427270)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here's what Evan had to say about this season in the Golden Skate article about the Worlds FD.

Chock and Bates’ romantic and spirited Rachmaninov routine included deep edges and tender choreography highlighted by distance-covering twizzles. They earned 113.31 in the free dance to finish the competition with a total score of 185.77.

“We believed it would elevate our game and we would grow into the music,” Bates said about the warhorse music choice. “It took longer then anticipated, but now I think this season will be marked as the season with the most growth that we’ve had in our five years together. A lot of it has to do with (coach) Igor (Shpilband) and with the vision that he sees for us.”

Snow63

Record Breaker
I would like to know what Tarasova said about it.

I decided to translate full Tarasova's reaction for you, Doris. :)

Her exact words right after the FD:

'Bravo! Simply bravo! Thanks so much to Igor [Shpilband] for that he polished this programm to the end of the season! Such amazing dissolution into the music, every movement and every thought! I believe that this is one of the best free dances ever. And I think it was underappreciated before, because it was probably not skated to its full potential [she said 'underskated', it's russian slang]! I have just incredible feeling from this dance. They feel the music so deeply, such an amazing finds [features], such an amazing gliding, such amazing things they did... hardest things were done and it was like they were talking in a whisper at first, and then it was like they scream! She just hears this music with every cell of her hand and her soul. It was truly breathtaking. I enjoyed it so much, really to the tears. I swear, it was a great pleasure!'

tulosai

Record Breaker

'Bravo! Simply bravo! Thanks so much to Igor [Shpilband] for that he polished this programm to the end of the season! Such amazing dissolution into the music, every movement and every thought! I believe that this is one of the best free dances ever. And I think it was underappreciated before, because it was probably not skated to its full potential [she said 'underskated', it's russian slang]! I have just incredible feeling from this dance. They feel the music so deeply, such an amazing finds [features], such an amazing gliding, such amazing things they did... hardest things were done and it was like they were talking in a whisper at first, and then it was like they scream! She just hears this music with every cell of her hand and her soul. It was truly breathtaking. I enjoyed it so much, really to the tears. I swear, it was a great pleasure!'

Thank you!!! So glad she liked it :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Snow63, Thank you so much for the translation! I found their Boston performance very special myself, and am glad an expert like TAT agrees with me! Evan may prove to have been right; this program is a turning point for them. They improved a great deal this year, struggling to do justice to this program.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I watched the Russian video on YT and of course I couldn't understand her but I could feel her great enthusiasm for the program.

I hope Madi, Evan, & Igor hear her comments, it really validates their hard work to improve & polish this program. They really did end the season on a high note with this FD and it must be such a satisfying feeling.

Snow63

Record Breaker
Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I watched the Russian video on YT and of course I couldn't understand her but I could feel her great enthusiasm for the program.

I hope Madi, Evan, & Igor hear her comments, it really validates their hard work to improve & polish this program. They really did end the season on a high note with this FD and it must be such a satisfying feeling.

I'm sure Igor will hear the praise. I believe he had a meeting with Tarasova after FD competition.

And welcome to everyone :) I'm glad they showed their versatility and skated to BIG music. I honestly was absolutely sure they will be smashed with this dance when season just began, but now I see the light! Amazing dance.