Imagining alternative partners in pairs/dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Imagining alternative partners in pairs/dance

BlackPack

Medalist
But the Shibutanis' skating skills are far superior to the Kerrs, so if they did a switcheroo, they will experience a lot of frustration and catching up to do.

BlackPack

Medalist
While Abbott would make a fantastic ice dancer, I don't know if he will be a good partner. It will be hard to deal with his temperament. His partner will have to be extremely understanding and tolerant.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
A role-reversal pairs team, of Mae Berenice Meite, and Florent Amodio.

They would be AWESOME together.

Oh I am just having nightmares on this one. Florent looks way to fragile to lift Mae. In fact, I think Mae might be stronger.

donezo

On the Ice
Oh I am just having nightmares on this one. Florent looks way to fragile to lift Mae. In fact, I think Mae might be stronger.

LOL I was just thinking the same thing. She could probably throw him around. I would pay to see that, actually.

I could see Caitlin Yankowskas paired up with either of the top Canadian pair boys. Since I like Kirsten Moore-Towers so much, I will pair Caitlin with Eric Radford instead. She deserves a partner on that level, and I would really just love her to stick it to John Coughlin in international competition.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

Yeah, it's very unlikely that Florent Amodio is strong enough to be a male pairs skater. Male pairs skaters need big muscles and a lot of upper body strength in order to execute over-the-head lifts. They have to lift weights in order to develop their biceps, as well as their leg muscles, which are also important. Most of them are at least average height, too, and some are above average in height. There are a few who are short, but they are in the minority. If you take a look at the top 10 male pairs skaters in the world, you will see how much they differ physically from most single male skaters.

In fact, Florent Amodio might not have the right body size & strength to be a male ice dancer, either. While they don't have to be as muscular as pairs skaters, they still have to do some lifting and moves with their partners, which while smaller in scale than in pairs, still requires more upper body strength than the average single skater uses.

Now if Amodio's countryman Brian Joubert had gone into pairs skating (as he once hinted/joked he might) that would have been a different story. Joubert is built differently from Amodio and many of the other male single skaters - he is much more muscular and somewhat taller, as well.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I hate to lose a good pair skater because of height issues

I would pair Vasilisa Davankova with her current BF, Sergei Mozgov ( who is very tall and athletic )
has an ice dance going to pairs ever been done in FS history ? too bad jumps have to be relearned

lighthouse

Rinkside

The original quote said "a role-reversal pairs team, of Mae Berenice Meite, and Florent Amodio." I think that means that Meite would throw and lift Amodio!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The original quote said "a role-reversal pairs team, of Mae Berenice Meite, and Florent Amodio." I think that means that Meite would throw and lift Amodio!
Yes, that is precisely what I meant :-D

Mae is strong, with a powerful physique (but capable of grace and delicacy too).
I think she could lift the diminuitive Amodio, and their combined skills and personalities would make an amazing team! :-D

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yes, that is precisely what I meant :-D

Mae is strong, with a powerful physique (but capable of grace and delicacy too).
I think she could lift the diminuitive Amodio, and their combined skills and personalities would make an amazing team! :-D

:rofl:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think Florent Amodio is only 5'4 or 5'5, so yeah, he would probably have trouble being the one to do the lifting. ;)

It would have been interesting if Brian Joubert had carried through with his claim that he was going to go into pairs one day - he's about 5'10 and pretty muscular, so he would have been built for it.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I hate to lose a good pair skater because of height issues

I would pair Vasilisa Davankova with her current BF, Sergei Mozgov ( who is very tall and athletic )
has an ice dance going to pairs ever been done in FS history ? too bad jumps have to be relearned

I think Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier did both at one point, but I guess that doesn't count, since they eventually stuck with dance and didn't return to pairs.

BlackPack

Medalist
Speaking of Mae and Florent, we need a separate thread for the oddest and unlikeliest pairing.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirier did both at one point, but I guess that doesn't count, since they eventually stuck with dance and didn't return to pairs.

I remember reading several years back that they experimented with trying pairs, but don't remember if they actually proceeded as far as doing competitions in pairs or whether they had done just the preparatory work & training. They both used to compete in singles at the junior level, so perhaps the fact that they could already do some jumps is what got them interested in the idea. It was their strong single skating skills that allowed them to advance faster than the other ice dance teams their age and make it to the 2010 Olympics with Tessa & Scott even though they were just teenagers.