Skaters on Team Japan | Page 29 | Golden Skate

Skaters on Team Japan

ioanna

Record Breaker
The organizers of Prince Ice World Yokohama (April 25 - May 2) have announced more members of the cast today.

As of now, the following skaters are set to appear: Takeshi Honda, Yukina Ota, Shizuka Arakawa, Akiko Suzuki, Nobunari Oda, Tatsuki Machida, Takahiko Kozuka, Kanako Murakami, Shoma Uno and Wakaba Higuchi.

There are probably more to be announced. (source 1, source 2)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bodUrGuILMU#t=11

Miyake Seinan 12-13 years old. In second place behind Sota.
His pirates routine is very cute, and his ending step-sequence is quite entertaining.
I his air position during jumps is generally good (better than Sota and Shoma IMO) though much less running edge going out of them and he has potential.
He is still a novice so let's see how he develops.

Tell me what you think of him?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Sota's air position is still very meh. He landed the 3A but not very beautiful, this jump is not natural for him.
Miyake has good edges for his age. But his jumps are a bit low, especially that axel, kind of disappointing, good air position IMO. But his spins are a bit meh.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Sota's air position is still very meh. He landed the 3A but not very beautiful, this jump is not natural for him.
Miyake has good edges for his age. But his jumps are a bit low, especially that axel, kind of disappointing, good air position IMO. But his spins are a bit meh.

It is difficult to say how big a boys jumps will be at this age though.
Hanyu's jumps were not exceptionally high when he was 12-13. I will keep my eye on Miyake and see how he does. I like the way he skates.

As for Sota, he too, has only just learned the 3A this year. I think it is too soon to say whether or not it will be a stable jump for him.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
It is difficult to say how big a boys jumps will be at this age though.
Hanyu's jumps were not exceptionally high when he was 12-13. I will keep my eye on Miyake and see how he does. I like the way he skates.
As for Sota, he too, has only just learned the 3A this year. I think it is too soon to say whether or not it will be a stable jump for him.
Axel is a very special jump. Either you're very good at it, or you're just so so at it (and someone like Lambiel who has never been good at it). If you actually look at Hanyu's axel when he was 12, you can see his 2A was exceptional compared to his other jumps.
Miyake has good edge for his age, his jumps are hard to tell now for sure. But his spins set me back a lot. Of course he's too young now so I couldn't tell. But personally I don't think he's a good spinner.
Sota's 3A is just not pleasing to the eyes, even when he landed it. His other jumps are good, and he has good skating skill. But overall he still looks like a choreography learned skater at this point which is understandable since he's just 15.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks! i like sota but this time he seemed a bit slow to me, maybe because he is still growing(seriously everytime i see him he gets taller :laugh:), i also think because he is growing his air position is affected (my unprofessional opinion) but congratz!!! :cheer:

i enjoyed Miyake as well, great for 12 year old, pirates of carebbean is one of my all time favourite movies so i cant be objective :laugh: he can be really good , too early to tell

Meoima

Match Penalty
Except for the axel, I think the rest of Sota's jumps are very good, good height and good running edge. He's the type of skater who jump high, like Mura IMO.
But to me he's not charming on ice, at this point. I agree wih matmuh, he looks like he's sleepwalking though his skate. I wonder why...
On the plus side, Sota has good stroke, he covers a lot of ice.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Except for the axel, I think the rest of Sota's jumps are very good, good height and good running edge. But I agree wih matmuh, he looks like he's sleepwalking though his skate. I wonder why...
On the plus side, Sota has good stroke, he covers a lot of ice.
But to me he's not charming on ice, at this point.

Needs a dance coach, to go with his technical coach. Or Akiko Suzuki. :yes:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Needs a dance coach, to go with his technical coach. Or Akiko Suzuki. :yes:
Yeah, I have watched Sota fancam at JGPF, he skated very big, good ice coverage, jump high (Mura's type?) and good edged. He's very promising. Now that I hope he doesn't wear Yuzuru-Weir...costumes...
And Miyake seems to have more musicality than Sota. :slink:

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Yeah, I have watched Sota fancam at JGPF, he skated very big, good ice coverage, jump high (Mura's type?) and good edged. He's very promising. Now that I hope he doesn't wear Yuzuru-Weir...costumes...
And Miyake seems to have more musicality than Sota. :slink:

I haven't watched Sota in person but I have seen Miyake. He does have good musicality for someone his age. Let's hope he banks on that and keeps working on his other elements. Both boys have great potential and let's hope they get a few pointers from Akiko and Nobu. ;)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I haven't watched Sota in person but I have seen Miyake. He does have good musicality for someone his age. Let's hope he banks on that and keeps working on his other elements. Both boys have great potential and let's hope they get a few pointers from Akiko and Nobu. ;)

I just realized, I've been pronouncing his name wrong...I was just looking at the Kanjis. But it's Sena, not Seinan. Sorry.

Meoima

Match Penalty
My friend who was at 4CC said Yuka Nagai has amazing jumps and speed, now that if she can get rid of that bad habit aka popping jumps, she can be a force in the near future.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
My friend who was at 4CC said Yuka Nagai has amazing jumps and speed, now that if she can get rid of that bad habit aka popping jumps, she can be a force in the near future.

I like Yuka and thought she did well at 4CC. I also like that she is a Tatsuki fan. Anyway I hope she and the other Japanese lady skaters step it up as I have read from a post by rosewood in FSU that Japanese female figure skating has been recently downgraded from A (meaning with Olympic gold medal possibility) to C.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Can I leave a cheering message to a already retired skater here as well, please?

I hope, sincerely hope Yasu Nanri will be added back to the Prince Ice Shows team this year. :)
Without getting annoyed by some nasty media/gossip people anymore, of course. Just like everybody else, he is entitled to enjoy both of his personal life and his skating life with privacy now. And let his long-time fans enjoy his skating again.

This is my favorite performance of Yasu during his competitive career: LP @J Nats 2006-07 season https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRkJwb5-f0 Technically very sound, huge 3As!, most emotionally skated and the best circular step sequence I've ever seen from him! :love:

I wish him many good happy things and every success in his life. :yes: Goooo Yasu! :cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like Yuka and thought she did well at 4CC. I also like that she is a Tatsuki fan. Anyway I hope she and the other Japanese lady skaters step it up as I have read from a post by rosewood in FSU that Japanese female figure skating has been recently downgraded from A (meaning with Olympic gold medal possibility) to C.

Downgraded by who? The federation? media?

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
if you just woke up and need to cheer up, there is perfect thing for you to watch, mr nobu in a commercial :laugh:

also tumblr user ohlovesosweet translated 2 interviews :cheer: one with nobu and one with akiko

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
Congratulations Wakaba for your bronze medal! Her free skate was very impressive :cheer:

She told in a press conference that she is working with a triple axel! :cheer2:

I could't find her own thread. Maybe she doesn't have one yet.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yay Wakaba! She was so sure and so clean in that LP! What a way to end her first year in Juniors. She's really amazing.