State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

State of the U.S. Men's Figure Skating for 2014-15

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope some will spare Jason for a while, poor kid. :slink: he did great, and his fans are satisfied no matter how much he is scored. It's all that counts.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ambitious content is ambitious for a reason -its very risky. Browns plan is very cop in that he's about maximizing what they are best at and why he won nebelhorn. Brown better than machida and ten at spins and steps and its not even close there. I think brown will beat ten and machida at pcs because he is considered better than them.

In terms of spins, Brown is definitely better than Machida/Ten, but Brown's step sequence got 4.37 points to Machida's 4.30 and Ten's 4.23, which I'd say is "pretty close". Not to mention Abbott actually got a level 4, as did Martinez - and thus higher StSq scores - whereas Brown/Ten/Machida all got level 3.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I hope some will spare Jason for a while, poor kid. :slink: he did great, and his fans are satisfied no matter how much he is scored. It's all that counts.

His attitude after the program was brilliant. He just looked thrilled to be there and put on a show. Love the smile. :clap:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, I am not a fan of Jeremy but I have to say: Today he did really well! Congrats! no quad with that scores is a great start!:yay: I hope he will have a clean LP and get the silver overall.

And kudo to Yuka Sato's for being so beautiful and elegant in the K&C. :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, going to win Skate America, was he?

Great LP from him, just a few stumbles from that second 3A onwards but it never lost steam and perhaps more importantly, he NEVER gave up on it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So, going to win Skate America, was he?
Great LP from him, just a few stumbles from that second 3A onwards but it never lost steam and perhaps more importantly, he NEVER gave up on it.
I enjoy Jason's Lp the most. Best choreography among the medalists. And his muscality is really enjoyable.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think the second footwork sequence for Jason's program could be improved still. The low sideways leg kicks feel out of character here.

The second spin of the program is also not ideal - the movement is a bit incongruous and his broken leg sit position is not great, so another feature should be used instead. It would be better if the second half of this spin was a corkscrew position, followed by a cross leg upright. That should also save a bit of time, which is useful because he has those "slashing" sounds on the soundtrack that could be emphasized better if the spin ends earlier.

For the last spin of the program he can a do pike sit spin instead of corkscrew at the start, which is better anyway because it maintains the leg line going up into the forward catch-leg upright.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
If I recall correctly that second spin was different and ended before the "slashing sounds" in his summer competitions. However I think it was lengthened after champs camp, probably so he can get higher levels. They also got rid of one of the spirals :(

babyskate

On the Ice
He may be 35 points behind Machida, but a silver medal is a great result. Go Jason!
I agree completely. When he makes mistakes he tries not to lose the character of the program and still sells it. He was still his usually bubbly self in the Kiss and Cry which is always fun to see. He is a tough competitor and is internally hard on himself I am sure, but has the ability to put it all in perspective. Congratulations to Jason on the silver.

noskates

Record Breaker
IIRC, Jason starts out a little "slow" (not speed) every year. I think he did great yesterday and I'm very pleased with his silver medal. I am not, however, pleased with Jeremy. With his experience and his skill her should have blown everyone out of the water. This is just another year of brilliant potential and mediocre results. I'm pretty tired of it actually. Wish there was a show circuit for him because he would really shine without the pressure of competition.

I look to Jason to continue improving his program and refining his choreography. His first 3A was beautiful. It's there.

mrrice

Record Breaker
IIRC, Jason starts out a little "slow" (not speed) every year. I think he did great yesterday and I'm very pleased with his silver medal. I am not, however, pleased with Jeremy. With his experience and his skill her should have blown everyone out of the water. This is just another year of brilliant potential and mediocre results. I'm pretty tired of it actually. Wish there was a show circuit for him because he would really shine without the pressure of competition.

I look to Jason to continue improving his program and refining his choreography. His first 3A was beautiful. It's there.

I agree completely. I can't figure out what's going on with Jeremy. He didn't retire which, I'm fine with. However, at this late stage of his career, he knows, or at least should know, that these poor outings will certainly kill any chance he has at medaling even if he skates well at Worlds. If he wasn't ready, he should have given the spot to an alternate and debuted when he could deliver the goods.

Unfortunately for Jeremy and Mirai, a good skate seems more like a "Fluke." Also internationally, and probably in the US by now, I think the judges are just about done giving them chances by holding them up with inflated scores.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Skating for the US men is looking pretty good - a silver and bronze and they look stronger than the Russian men who rank in similar territory as well as Brezina, Reynolds who lookslike he may be finished this season sadly and if they can hold off the Chinese they look good other than some of the Japanese superstars. Brown seems like the "chosen" one but Aaron, Rippon, Farris, Abbott, Dornbush all show some signs of guts and glory.

noskates

Record Breaker
Totally agree SkaterBoy. I think the US men are going to be thrilling to watch this season. I hope Adam can get his nerves in check, Josh can heal, and Ricky can find some consistency.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think the US men are going to be thrilling to watch this season. ...

:agree: And Rostelecom alone is going to be really exciting.

Just realized that it will be a re-match among Max, Carriere, Kozuka, Brezina, and Fernandez ....all of whom will take on Jason and others. :popcorn:

------------------

Special nod to Carriere :bow::

He is a prime example of why NO ONE ever should be counted out.

Congratulations to him for reaching new heights when few expected such greatness from him. Never say Never. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, I'm encouraged to see the men do relatively well so far.

I've updated the scores on the first page. Some highlights:

Top 5 in SP:
Jason Brown 83.59 (Nebelhorn Trophy)
Jeremy Abbott 82.81 (Skate America)
Stephen Carriere 80.33* (Skate Canada)
Ross Miner 80.24 (Skate Canada Autumn Classic)
Jason Brown 79.75 (Skate America)

This time last year, after a few senior B's and two GP events we only had two skaters who broke 80 (Jason Brown and Adam Rippon). it's encouraging to see four different skaters break 80 already! :)

And the score tracker (points for top 5 in each category)

Jason Brown — 125
Max Aaron — 92
Richard Dornbush — 57
Jeremy Abbott - 37
Stephen Carriere — 33
Ross Miner — 25
Adam Rippon — 13
Nathan Chen — 7

And top overall scores:

Max Aaron 240.22* (U.S. International Classic, 1st)
Richard Dornbush 237.28* (Lombardia Trophy, 1st)
Jason Brown 237.17 (Nebelhorn Trophy, 1st)
Jason Brown 234.17 (Skate America, 2nd)
Max Aaron 231.77 (Skate Canada, 3rd)

Stephen Carriere 231.67 (Skate Canada 4th)
Ross Miner 227.26 (Skate Canada Autumn Classic, 1st)
Adam Rippon 220.75 (Finlandia Trophy, 2nd)

Onward to China for Richard Dornbush.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, I'm encouraged to see the men do relatively well so far.

I've updated the scores on the first page. Some highlights: ....

Onward to China for Richard Dornbush.

Thx as always for your data, Mrs. P. :) And best to Dornbush in Shanghai.

The latest from the ISU stats:

ISU World Standings
1 4182 Yuzuru HANYU
2 3774 Patrick CHAN
3 3376 Tatsuki MACHIDA
4 3166 Javier FERNANDEZ
5 3152 Denis TEN
6 3037 Takahito MURA
7 2765 Max AARON
8 2709 Daisuke TAKAHASHI
9 2625 Michal BREZINA
10 2566 Maxim KOVTUN
11 2481 Jason BROWN
12 2463 Sergei VORONOV
13 2449 Richard DORNBUSH
14 2443 Konstantin MENSHOV
15 2259 Han YAN​
Next USA man is Abbott at #21.​

ISU Season's World Ranking
1 968 Alexander PETROV
2 725 Shoma UNO
3 670 Takahito MURA
4 660 Jason BROWN
5 656 June Hyoung LEE
6 624 Max AARON
7 594 Nam NGUYEN
8 592 Stephen CARRIERE
9 570 Ross MINER

10 519 Sergei VORONOV​
Next USA man is Razzano at #20.​

Icey

Record Breaker
I hope Stephen gets to be on the world team this year. Not fond of the combination of music he uses for his lp, but like his skating.