Measuring Skater Jump Height | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Measuring Skater Jump Height

CarneAsada

Medalist
I've updated the thread with results for some of the Olympics ladies SP. I've only gotten through the first 9 so far (in order of how they scored in the free skate). Overall the video was pretty good quality since it was 25 FPS interlaced, so I was able to extract the individual frames via Avidemux and effectively view it at 50 FPS (albeit at half the resolution). The replays, when usable, were often at 1/3 the speed so those jumps were analyzed at 150 FPS which is, needless to say, very good.

The jump layouts in the different SP's were fairly similar to each other (probably due to requirements), so they allow for a better direct comparison between the different skaters.

I'll get around to SoYoun's jumps in a bit. However, what do you recommend for Patrick's and Yuzuru's data? I'm wary of using the Olympics for that because it was such a splatfest so I don't think it's as representative of their abilities. Is there another event where the video is readily available (and hopefully good quality) for them? Similarly, what are some good events for Mirai?
Could you do 2014 Worlds sometime later when you have time? Maybe just the top 10 - I'm curious about how the skaters' jumps vary between events, like for Mao neither 3A at the Olympics was particularly ideal (and her SP didn't have a single hit jump), and I wonder if there was much of a difference for Carolina between her clean SPs.

For Yuzuru you could also probably use his recent LP from 2014 GPF. For Mirai, her 2010 Olympics LP.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^I think Yuzuru's SP at Sochi might be better. He was at his top form there.

fure

Rinkside
Thank you Vanshilar, it's absolutely interesting.
I wonder, if you don't mind and if you have time, I would like to know Plushy next, esp during 2012 Euros or Sochi Team Comp. We know that he has very consistent quads through all the years, but I wonder how high they are.
Thank you!