Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh my goodness, he's adorable. And MGStyle, I think we are in the same boat - I can read Cyrillic & understand a bit of Russian, but very little. Deniss is 16 and conversational in at least 3 languages already...I feel like such a slacker.

Thanks again Acirelk! :thank:

sayeah

Spectator
Hi, everybody!!
It's already been announced here but Deniss' former coach Ingrida and Deniss run a crowdfunding campaign.

https://www.pursu.it/pursuit/campaign/169

There are less than 4 weeks left and the amount of donation is still 22% of the goal.(Though the goal is huge!)

You can contribute to his next season by participating this campaign. You can donate from 1 US dollar. And there are give backs also.

There's not much help from the Latvian federation so he really needs this.

Even if you are not participating please share the campaign with your friends who love figure-skating.

I just hope that he could concentrate on training without worrying about financial problem.

Please help him. Thank you!!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
sayeah I have been following the progress of the campaign with an anxiety like his own mother!! I heard that in Latvia public interest in the sport is non existent so he can't even get a sponsor. Looks like random fans trying to post and repost isn't enough, so I just wrote to the Skating Lessons, which have a global audience, hoping that they will consider my request and do a skype interview with him with an appeal to the campaign thrown in.
I also hope that he will be invited to more shows like he did in Ice Legends, he has a big fan base in Japan where there are so many shows being held, with packed audiences, why not? KOI will pass Riga and Tallinn in November so that would be a big opportunity too, if he is not competing at that moment I don't see why not. I also hope Drobiazko & Vanagas, who have been inviting him to their shows in Lithuania, can somehow step in to promote the campaign in the area.
silverfoxes yeah I see you have been on the same path as mine lol... for an English speaker the Russian grammar is the worst nightmare!!! :eekn: but unlike my first trial two decades ago I have many Russian friends on social, I can get some help and advices, so it should be a little easier now!! Deniss can surely speak Russian, Latvian and English, and I am not surprised if he speaks decent amount of French, having lived there for a few years. And at this pace he might add Japanese in his arsenal pretty soon!!!

Acirelk

Rinkside
MGstyle, silverfoxes haha I understand your struggle! I am now trying to learn Japanese. Good luck with your Russian :agree: I've met quite a few non-native Russian speakers with a very good level, so if it helps to encourage you: it's not that complicated :)

Acirelk

Rinkside
PART II:

(11:50) Deniss: It is very special to be on the Olympic ice in Sochi. The ice is very smooth and it is perfect for figure skating. It is not too hard and not too soft. I am not afraid to smash into the barriers because they are soft. My coach is an Olympic champion Alexey Urmanov. His experience and his knowledge.. these are just perfect conditions for skating! At the same time, there is a maximum of seven people on the ice. But this happens only when the whole group is training. Usually, on our morning trainings there are only three of us on the ice. It is still very distracting when somebody is skating next to you. You always need to plan your route so you don’t disturb other skaters. The skaters can feel the atmosphere on the ice. My life in Sochi is very simple: I wake up. I eat breakfast. It takes me 30 minutes by bike to go to the rink. 45 min of warm-up, 1h15 of ice practice, some more training for an hour and then I go home to eat, sleep and do my homework. Then, I go back to the rink. Warm-up, ice, gym and back home to eat and sleep.

Narrator: Before the performance, Deniss always feels excited (worried). Deniss says that it is impossible to calm yourself. You just have to use this energy in your performance. The most important thing is to control your body.

(16:01) Deniss: I start realizing that everyone can learn the jumps. You just need to have the right strategy: prepare well physically and emotionally. However, it is more difficult to learn how to skate. It can be taught, but to be a good skater you need to have a natural sense of rhythm.
(Are you friends with your competitors?)

I am on that level where everyone is your competitor but there are no enemies. Everyone is friends off ice. We all spend a lot of time together. When I am coming to competitions, I know everyone there. I have just switched to seniors and I don’t have a lot of connections there. Still, all the skaters are quite open. We can be aggressive only on ice. I am the most important competitor of myself. I don’t care what others are doing. I am only interested if I can beat myself. If yesterday I did a perfect performance and today I made errors, it means that I’ve lost to myself. In that case, I can’t be the first. You can skate badly and win the prize. But because of this victory, I am not going to respect myself more. Only when you did your best, you can be happy about your skating.

(24:57) Deniss: […] go forward, strive for the best and seek an Olympic medal. Now I have a two-year goal. Then, it will be four-year goal. I have a project of how to develop myself and how to become better. Right now, I want to be qualified for the Olympics. Actually, now I have to. I need to learn quads.

(Are you proud being from Latvia?)

Yes, I am a patriot of my country. I am proud being from Latvia. My parents taught me to love my homeland. I love the country and I love my city. It probably means more for me that everything that I am doing.

(What about Latvian uniform?)

I want to make a vest for myself: with Daugavpils coat of arms on a back and a small Latvian coat of arms in the front. I am not even asking for them to give it to me.. I am asking if I can make it myself.

Coat of arms of Daugavpils:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...pils.png/800px-Coat_of_arms_of_Daugavpils.png

Coat of arms of Latvia:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...via.svg/1280px-Coat_of_arms_of_Latvia.svg.png

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
He has a very good head on his shoulders for 16. I know he has said he prefers skating in shows, but I think he has the right attitude toward competing, to be so demanding of himself. I think this will be the key to his success. And it's great that Urmanov's team has such excellent conditions, and probably few distractions outside of the rink.

I can't imagine Kings on Ice in Riga without him, that's for sure. They had better invite him!

MGstyle

Medalist
A new interview has been published on an Italian site "Art on Ice". :agree:
Here is the English translation.
Deniss Vasiljevs, aiming for Pyeongchang with his 16 year old enthusiasm and energy.

Deniss Vasiljevs, representing Latvia, despite his young age (he will turn 17 on 9th of August this year) he lets his character shine, which is obvious when he takes on the ice and he proves himself competition after competition, he is the promising future star of figure skating. And his character also shines when he comes in contact with the journalists and fans. A sunny boy, he has his focus set, firmly and straightforward to the sport he loves. Which was once supposed to be swimming, according to his parents when he was little, but now on the frozen rink.

Q: When did you start skating?
Deniss: When I was 3

Q: During 2014-15 season you have won a silver medal at the European Youth Olympics Winter Festival in Dornbirn, Austria. Can you tell us something of the experience there?
Deniss: It was such an exciting and fun competition. The organizers were awesome and I spent a wonderful time there. I was happy to have had that opportunity and to have won the silver!

Q: In 2015 you have started trainning with Alexei Urmanov. How is it working with him?
Deniss: Yes, I decided to work with Alexei Evgenivich last year, he is a tough coach and I must work really hard, but it is also very rewarding and interesting.

Q: In January you made a debut in the Senior rank, skating in the European Championships in Bratislava. How did you prepare yourself for the first competition against the big boys?
Deniss: It was my first European Championships of course, so I was full of emotions and also nervous, I must say I was a little scared among them. I was so worried that I might make mistakes, and perhaps that's why I fell on my step sequence, which had NEVER happened before!

Q: What kind of music do you like to skate to?
Deniss: I prefer materials that my coach and I feel that it suits my style, with which I can express something. When I hear a music that I particularly like I try to construct my programme, note by note.

Q: Who chooses the music?
Deniss: It is a collective decision of all members of my team, including my parents.

Q: May I ask you if you have some ideas for the music you will use for the next season?
Deniss: Of course! But any suggestions still accepted, if you have one!!

Q: Ah, so I guess it is still a secret and you are going to leave us all curious about it! Now, on to the costumes. Who chooses your costumes?
Deniss: Like music, we decide together. I tend to leave it up to my family.

Q: Let's do a test. If I say "2018 Olympics", what would you say to that?
Deniss: I will try to do my best!

Q: your favourite skaters, the skaters who inspire you?
Deniss: Patrick Chan, Javier Fernandez, and the greatests, Stèphane Lambiel and Daisuke Takahashi.

Q: what is your favourite technical element?
Deniss: I like them all! But if I need to choose, I would say the Lutz, and sometimes I have some problems with the Toe Loop.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?
Deniss: I enjoy drawing, and playing video games, especially the strategy types, like chess.

Q: Away from the rink, do you study?
Deniss: Yes I do and I keep good grades. Plus the school I go to allows me the time to train, which is very important!

Q: three or more ajectives to describe you.
Deniss: I think it has to come from another person to give an accurate answer!

Q: What is your dream, be it on the ice or off?
Deniss: To be a great skater, and a good person.

Q: Tell us about your crowd funding campaign "Denis Vasiljevs onward to Pyeongchang 2018
Deniss: Figure skating is an expensive sport. I must live in Sochi when I train and prepare for the competitions. Then there are costs of travels, costumes, choreographers, training staff, therapies and medical care to name a few. Latvian federation is small and they can't fully finance me. So we decided to start this campaign, try to resolve some of the financial problems and for me to be better prepared for the upcoming season, and of course in preparation for the 2018 Games. My first coach Ingrida (Snieškienė) organized and signed this project. Japanese fans have been particularly helpful, who contributed 99% of the donations so far. I am profoundly grateful to them!

Q: What is your goal for the next season?
Deniss: To make this campaign for the 2018 Olympics a success, and continue to win the hearts of skating fans everywhere!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://nra.lv/latvija/regionos/172062-deniss-vasiljevs-raksta-latvijas-vesturi.htm

Denis Vasiljevs writes Latvian history

Sixteen-year-old Latvian daugavpilietis Denis Vasilyev will go down in history as the first in our country daiļslidotājs which the adult world championship competition has managed to get a high 14th place.

Everything is still ahead

Denis, who train in figure skating since the age of five and has a dowry has enough variety of larger and smaller victory, the biggest success yet to come - as their primary objective daiļslidotājs installed by entering the Olympic team and get a medal - the best gold. Although young athletes this sport has been doing for more than ten years, we can say that Dennis at figure skating star has appeared in the sky very fast - perhaps that it is related to a change of coach. In recent years, his growth cares famous figure skater, world champion Yelena Ivanova, who ten years ago from Belarus moved to Daugavpils and the heart and soul cares not only for Dennis, but also other new Daugavpils figure skaters to gain increasing success in Latvian and international competitions .

Daugavpils Sports Department Mikhail Jenbajevs explains: «Now, when Dennis already conquering international ice fields, Elena Dennis trains only when he is Latvian, because mostly he is overseas training camp, including Sochi, where he trains the world-famous Russian daiļslidotājs, Olympic champion Alexei Urmanovs. Both coaches have a very good contact, and they are able to find the best athlete and effective training approach. Also, the same athlete is highly motivated and ready to fight for new victories. "

Currently, Denis agenda is a new short program preparation and choice to fully be able to participate in next year's World Cup, which will be shared signs of the 2018 Winter Olympics. The goal is high, but not unattainable - if the Olympics would qualify after this year's results, the daugavpilietim voucher had already earned. It is now kept in the thumb, the Athlete sufficient strength, durability and a little bit of success, so that the new program would be at least as technically accurate and felt as existing.
World figure skating luminaries, including Tatiana Tarasova, have noted that the young athlete is endowed with talent, that work in synergy to be gained grand success.

Pair of skates - 800 euro

As we would not want to talk about money, it's the thing, without which it is impossible to high-level sport. In addition, figure skating is added to the expensive sports that require not only the athlete's good will, but also the appropriate equipment. The higher their achievements are rising Denis, the higher the costs. Professional skates competitions only paid 800 euros, but one competitor takes two pairs of skates. Some skates need for training. Expensive is also costumes, trainer services, camps and living abroad, participation in competitions and transport costs. "Part of the necessary means to grant Olympic Committee, part of the Figure Skating Federation of something else, children's and youth sports school, the municipality and Daugavpils Sports Department. But it is not enough. In assessing the need to ensure the continued growth of Denis, we see that year required about 35 thousand euros. Denise admire my mother's susceptibility, which is not afraid to go out and knock on all the doors in order to get financial support for his son's sporty growth. In essence, not the one she needed this victory - they are necessary for all of us - all of Latvia, because Dennis is one of them, after which the world community learns about our country. I am really proud that it was in Daugavpils has risen this star, and our task is to help it shine even brighter, "says Mikhail Jenbajevs.

MGstyle

Medalist
Thank you Silverfoxes!! I wonder what "daiļslidotājs" means, the mysterious terminology that automatic translator refuses to translate! champion, maybe? :scratch:

I googled for images of daiļslidotājs and it fished out a whole series of Deniss!!! :laugh:

Last edited:

Acirelk

Rinkside
Thank you Silverfoxes!! I wonder what "daiļslidotājs" means, the mysterious terminology that automatic translator refuses to translate! champion, maybe?

It means "skater" :)

PS: you can see how unimportant skating is in Latvia, if google can't translate such a basic word..

Last edited:

MGstyle

Medalist
It means "skater" :)

PS: you can see how unimportant skating is in Latvia, if google can't translate such a basic word..

Thank you so much Acirelk!!! How incredibly sad about that!!! :unsure:

MGstyle

Medalist
Update on his crowdfunding campaign. They added a new, bigger incentive, aiming for possiblities on a larger scale. With a contribution of $2500 he will wear your company logo on his clothings next season. If anyone have a connection to a corporate which may be interested, or know someone who may have a connection, or whatever, let this be known!!!
Right now at just over $15000, it seems to be picking up a pace, ever so gradually| https://www.pursu.it/pursuit/campaign/169#bonuses

MGstyle

Medalist
https://pp.vk.me/c7002/v7002568/1b8bc/noBQv6CIKDw.jpg

Well, it certainly looks like Stephane is doing choreo for Deniss...what a perfect pairing! I'd love to see them work on some new spins as well (although Deniss is already very talented in that area, of course, but there's always more to learn, and who better to teach him?). :cool:

I must confess I am ever so slightly jealous of Julia there... surrounded by three generations of my ice princes all together :luv17::luv17::luv17:
I am already so excited at this prospect!!! I was sure Stèph was even more impressed by Deniss and how well he performed at Ice Legends, but to see things moving on this quickly... this is even better than I had anticipated!!! :hap93::hap10::love:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I was hoping Deniss will get choreo from Stephane, when I saw Julia will get one. I'm super happy for Deniss (and Julia)! I can't wait to see the program and the spins they will come up with! :yahoo: :hap93:

honghe

On the Ice
Great news! Since Deniss obviously admires Stephane a lot, I'm sure he is also super happy to work with Stephane:clap:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Urmanov talks a bit about Deniss's programs:

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20160516/923027207.html

According to the trainer, Lambiel also puts any program, Denis Vasiliev, Latvian skater group Urmanova. "At the moment, Denis has been with Stefan, and finish the work in a couple of days - told the agency -. Short with Lambiel, he put is not now we decide -. Or leave it for the next season the old program, or change to a new, but not yet we know when it is determined, as Denis taking exams at school and it took too much time. "

The translation is confusing, but it sounds like Lambiel may also do his SP, but they ran out of time and now they are deciding if they will keep the old SP or change it later...is that right?