2015-2016 US Regional Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 US Regional Championships

just wondering

On the Ice
Ahhh, dorispulaski, your post reminds me of the days when Sylvia managed a message board for Unseen Skaters. Certainly, I join the many skating fans who absolutely appreciate her current site and think it is tremendously supportive of up and coming skaters. A true work of love.

I do, however, miss the commentary on the old message board from people who attended actual events. (I probably post something like this every few years. haha) The interaction from the various Regionals was particularly fun to read, but I think overall interest in posting dwindled to such a level that operating the board no longer made sense. Perhaps your post will inspire some eyes-on posting! Those are the best!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I always watch Elizaveta Kulik with some interest just due to her parents... it would be cool if she made it to Sectionals this year.

She's just barely more than a point behind the girl ahead of her in 4th, but also only 0.02 ahead of the girl right behind her in 6th. Eek.

tulosai

Record Breaker
She's just barely more than a point behind the girl ahead of her in 4th, but also only 0.02 ahead of the girl right behind her in 6th. Eek.

Yes it is a nailbiter :drama: I do think it seems unlikely she'd make it out of sectionals this year anyway but it would be a good experience for her. It does seem she has some triple jumps now that she didn't have last year (and fully rotated too!) so that is encouraging, since many girls of course ultimately just don't get them... though having her parents the odds were likely in her favor.

I do also wonder if she's ever considered pairs...

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yes it is a nailbiter :drama: I do think it seems unlikely she'd make it out of sectionals this year anyway but it would be a good experience for her. It does seem she has some triple jumps now that she didn't have last year (and fully rotated too!) so that is encouraging, since many girls of course ultimately just don't get them... though having her parents the odds were likely in her favor.

I do also wonder if she's ever considered pairs...

Last year, I just remember her withdrawing from Regionals. It's got to stink to have to withdraw.

frida80

Record Breaker

Layback11

Record Breaker
I really liked that girl who got 2nd in intermediate-Kaia Culotta, I think? Really nice skater to watch! From the protocols I saw (there's a drop-down list of planned and executed elements for each skater), she was planning a 2A, 2Lz-2Lo and a 3S in the SP and all of those plus other doubles in the FS-that's a pretty darn good layout for that level. I'll be excited to see how she does at Sectionals!

humbaba

Final Flight
I enjoyed watching Sierra Venetta who placed first in the Novice Ladies at Central Pacific Regionals. Something about the deliberate way she places her feet and legs reminds me of Michelle Kwan. Though Venetta's upper body seems more plastic than Kwan ever was. Sierra did a nice Ina Bauer.

Lily Sun, a favorite of mine among the younger skaters, finished second to Venetta. I think Lily will need to skate better to make it out of sectionals, but I've got my fingers and my toes crossed for her. :)

frida80

Record Breaker
I enjoyed watching Sierra Venetta who placed first in the Novice Ladies at Central Pacific Regionals. Something about the deliberate way she places her feet and legs reminds me of Michelle Kwan. Though Venetta's upper body seems more plastic than Kwan ever was. Sierra did a nice Ina Bauer.

Lily Sun, a favorite of mine among the younger skaters, finished second to Venetta. I think Lily will need to skate better to make it out of sectionals, but I've got my fingers and my toes crossed for her. :)

Do you have videos?

Scout

Final Flight
So excited to see Carly Gold in first after the SP! I really hope she makes it to Nationals this year!

tulosai

Record Breaker
If you're a subscriber, Icenetwork has the Regional videos.

Like Doris said above, it's also not really uncommon for a parent to post a 'fan vid' to youtube (although most do not, so it's not really common either), but that's just a crapshoot in terms of if your favorites have parents who are inclined to do that.

Country
Russia
Some statistics - winners' score of Regionals

Regionals SrLasies JrLadies SrMen JrMen
Central Pacific 141.73 144.58 - 143.73
South Western 139.42 167.45 - 177.23
North Atlantic 142.96 126.66 167.93 118.40
Northwest Pacific 89.34 120.45 - 151.81
Upper Great Lakes 168.01 125.20 174.55 157.20
Southwest Pacific 135.48 151.35 - 176.45
New England 134.69 158.41 173.89 -
Eastern Great Lakes 146.11 116.53 107.64 -
South Atlantic 135.85 128.76 - -

Best scores in Ladies (167-168) have Emily Chan and Bradie Tennell (we've seen them at JGP Events), without them best scores of these Events would be ordinary 133.07 and 112.78.
158.41 of Rebecca Peng - she also was at JGP. and second result of JrLadies at New England is also ordinary - 135.67.

Last edited:

just wondering

On the Ice
YOG qualifier Vanna Giang scored 57.08 in JR SP at SWP!

Whoa! The quality of those elements must have been spectacular. The GOEs are impressive - Base Tech, 28.73 and Base Tech + GOEs, 33.93. Will be fun to see it when it's posted.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Leah Keiser is okay or what is going on with her?? I just saw she withdrew. She also hasn't gotten any international assignments this year which I think is odd since she's in the C envelope group with a bunch of girls who have gotten at least one assignment. Does anyone have any info?

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am glad Carly Gold did win this event! It would be nice if this were finally the year she makes it to Nationals!