2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Golden Spin of Zagreb Men

mrrice

Record Breaker
Based on the video, he did 3F, 3A (skid landing, hangs on) and 3Lz+1T

Thank you for that report. He's just like Alex. He'd be right up there with Denis if he could just skate clean. Oh well. Hopefully he'll have a clean long like he did at Nationals. I will say this about Adam though. The Boy has a Butt for DAYS!!!!!

Last edited:

Jombi

On the Ice
My stream stopped for a few seconds in the middle, but I saw enough; I only missed his single jump. The commentator was gushing at the end as well. He did a beautiful quad-triple and a ridiculously high and gorgeous 3A out of nowhere. Step sequence lovely as usual. My stream stopped again just before they announced the scores so I don't know what he got, but wouldn't be surprised if it was over 90.

Thank you for your live updating! Very much appreciated!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh Adam, I've been arguing to ditch the 4z and now this?:sad21:

But really, all these Queen programs, I'm not feeling any of them. Bring home the Beatles LP tomorrow, that is growing on me. :clapper:

MIM

Medalist
It is very high. I'm a bit :confused: about his PCS though; only 41.85.

His PCS is almost same as one he got with a clean Caruso in Zagreb (41.60 in 2014 vs. 41.85 in 2015).

overall nice skate but program is quite lacking transitions to jumps,
Whereas last season Caruso had 4T, 3A, 3Lz+3T*, this season Misa Tango has 4T+3T, 3A, 3Lz*. For the quad combination he might take a longer set up. But, it looked probably more than he needed. He could jump slightly sooner and leave more space for his 3T. Maybe he is still working on his timing. Once he gets comfortable with the jumps and the choreography at the competition setting, I think the program will feel much fuller.:)

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A very impressive skate for Denis, the jumps were great but overall I'm not a huge fan of the programme. I like Gorshkov and though he was undermarked on PCS, he certainly didn't deserve to score nearly 5 points less than Adam, who gave a so-so performance. I was expecting Adian to push on from his COR success but his jumps were a bit off today.

I enjoyed Morris K's skate, it's bizarre and off the wall but fun. The commentator was saying that the 'What is love' section is inspired by the movie 'One night at the Roxbury' and that is explains his outfit. I just thought it was something completely random but maybe not.

Does anyone know who the commentator is? I liked her, quite knowledgeable.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Nice from Denis...I still can't make any comments on how I liked it because the video was so choppy it disturbed the flow of the skate. But all the jumps looked great! Woohoo!

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Denis' program this year isn't as memorable to me as last year. It looks like some standard Classical 101 program that Lori picked out of a hat. That said, he's a gorgeous skater that he makes it work anyway. The camera work in these competition usually isn't the best but the fact that he makes everything look flawless even under crappy technology is really a testament of his talent.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Denis' program this year isn't as memorable to me as last year. It looks like some standard Classical 101 program that Lori picked out of a hat. That said, he's a gorgeous skater that he makes it work anyway. The camera work in these competition usually isn't the best but the fact that he makes everything look flawless even under crappy technology is really a testament of his talent.

I can't believe I'm reading this comment. I was just coming here to post my complete and utter dislike for his choice of music for his SP. I'm Ok with vocals but, that music is too big for ANY singles skater. It's a miss for me. Fortunately, Denis is an incredible skater and will be fine until he meets Pat, Jav, and Hanyu. Hoping he has a great Long Program.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1XQu6sZ78I

Ok, watched a better video of Denis' SP.
Pros:
His jumps have come back!
His skating is as powerful and smooth as ever
His expression and upper body poise are a thing of beauty!

Cons:
First 2 spins a little slow today
Lacking in transitions into his 4t-3t and in other areas a little empty.
Ponderous music again. -I know Denis is well capable of doing a style that is less heavy than this. But that's just my opinion.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yay! For a great short!

Does that mean he'll probably bomb in his next event? :cry:

No. He won Golden Spin last season and Four Continents was his next event. And Worlds was pretty darn good as well.

The idea that Denis can only hit one event is a myth. The idea that he is a late season skater is reality.

I believe, however, that last season at Golden Spin he nailed the short and placed second in the free. I'd hypothesize the free is still developing. One step at a time.

MIM

Medalist

This is the video of Denis' SP at the NWR a week ago. The angle is better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfM9Gl5J87Q

I was deeply moved by his NRW performance. Surprisingly he received the lowest PCS (39.07!!) of his past two seasons. It is a heavy music, not received to the judges and audiences as easily as let's say You raise me up(SP) or Titanic(LP) of Jorik HENDRICKX (winner at the NRW). But I don't think it is just a random choice of classical music. (I did a little bit of a homework out of curiosity. I didn't know his music except "santo santo ..." in the LP)

He and his team chose Misa Tango by Luis Bacalov, a mass in a tango style. Out of 5 parts, they picked Kyrie for the SP and Sanctus for the LP. (I listened to five of them, if there is any mixed cuts, please let me know)

Kyrie (¡Señor, ten piedad de nosotros!)
Gloria (¡Gloria a Dios en las alturas y a los hombres en la tierra paz! Te alabamos, te bendecimos, Señor, Dios Rey celestial.)
Credo (Yo creo en un único Dios todo poderoso, Creador del cielo y de la tierra. Amen.)
Sanctus (Santo, santo, santo, Señor Dios del universo. Llenos estàn los Cielos y la tierra de tu gloria.)
Agnus Dei (Cordero de Dios, que quitas los pecados del mundo. ¡ Ah ! Ten piedad de nosotros, da nos la paz.)

Misa Tango is based on the Latin ordinary of the Catholic mass but written in Spanish. it combines in a entirely satisfying unity, what might be considered disparate elements, different musical genres, crating a nostalgic but joyful musical texture, stressing the Tango own character.

Some might think it is ridiculous that we have to look for the music, before a music comes to us in order to enjoy skating. I understand that, too. Denis owns/feels/interprets the music, yet he needs to project to the audience better. It will be extra hard because it is grand, complex, and not self-explanatory(Caruso was easy relatively). Unfortunately, I don't know how well he has improved on his presentation in a week due to the lack of quality footages . As a Denis' fan I am slightly reserved with the Golden Spin video clip, but hopeful because he skates clean and the PCS is raised by 1.78 (he should have done something right).

I am proud of Denis, who doesn't want to use music as a backdrop, but pick the inspiring piece of music to elevate his artistry and his skating together. Downside though is the music is too grand that his skating can be a backdrop, if not done correctly.

Edit: I watched the link Interspectator posted. Thank you! I changed my opinion on this performance - I love it! he is awesome! :love:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's the spirit!!! Go Denis! :yahoo:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Congrats Denis:luv17: