Kozuka announced retirement | Golden Skate

Kozuka announced retirement

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I am so sad to read this, but to be honest, yes, it was a long time coming. :(
Thank you for all the wonderful skating!

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I'm hoping we see him at the boards soon as a coach. Here is my favorite Kozuka performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnqHYxIp1gc :love:

Doesn't sound likely we'll see him as a coach. In the news report, it says that he's been offered a regular job at Toyota (his sponsoring company) The participation in SOI @ Apr. 17th will be his very last ice show... :sad46: though I'm still hoping he'll at least show up @ Mao's The ICE 10th anniversary

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Doesn't sound likely we'll see him as a coach. In the news report, it says that he's been offered a regular job at Toyota (his sponsoring company) The participation in SOI @ Apr. 17th will be his very last ice show... :sad46: though I'm still hoping he'll at least show up @ Mao's The ICE 10th anniversary
OMG that is so sad.:(

ioanna

Record Breaker
Oda, Takahashi, Machida, and now Kozuka is closing the book of a generation of Japan's top male skaters. Now all male Olympians from Team Japan are retired, leaving Hanyu on the road to the next Olympics. Grateful for all the programs and beautiful skating he has offered and I wish him well in his new career and marriage.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aw, Taka, we'll miss you, but thanks for all of your beautiful skating through the years. All the best in your future!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Ah I liked Kozuka, but after nationals I was wondering if he was going to retire.

Good luck to him, and his new wife.

andyjo24

Medalist
It's sad that Kozuka was not able to reach his potential, but I'm glad that he has at least won a Worlds silver medal in 2011 (unlike Mr. I don't know how to count :palmf:).

If he had just consistently shown the level he was at in 2011 Worlds, he would still be a top contender today, but unluckily, injuries were not kind to him. :(

I always felt he was underscored by the judges in PCS due to his relatively "stoic" face, but his bodily movements were SO musical. It's a pity that judges didn't count that into consideration...

I hope he enjoys a happy life with his new wife, and achieves his new goals!

Perdita

Final Flight
Translation of his comment. Sorry if my English doesn't sound right.

"I have decided to retire by this season. Since I was 5, I always enjoyed to skate, thanks to those who are engaged in figure skating, including the federations, Toyota Motor Corporation and Umemura school, who affiliated and supported me, and many people including the fans. I appreciate their support.

I have many memories throughout my career. I remember every competition, but especially - attending the Vancouver Olympic, winning the Japanese Nationals, and finishing second at the Worlds. Missing the chance to go to the Sochi Olympic at the Japanese Nationals 2013. And, at the Japanese Nationals 2014, after struggling at the Grand Prix Series due to the injury, I finally managed to perform as I wanted and couldn't help punching in the air. These became my precious experiences.

As for my future career, though it means to leave the ice, I decided to start my new life as an employee at Toyota Motor Corporation, drawing on my (figure skating) experiences thus far (it's a common phrase in Japanese and doesn't necessarily mean his next job is related to skating).

It was a huge decision about the huge turning point in my life. Through the courtesy of Toyota Motor Corporation and the figure skating world, I am given a chance to say farewell at the final day of Stars on Ice, 17th April. Please continue to guide and encourage me (in my future career. A common phrase.). Takahiko Kozuka."

----

I was thinking he might retire when he graduates his univ (I think he implied so at some point) and I knew he was writing thesis this year, so I feel I kind of knew this by few months ago. But it was totally unexpected that he'll start a completely new life off ice (though not confirmed)... It's too sad if this means that the figure skating world will lose the amazing skating skill he had . :( At the same time, I want congratulate him for all the achievements he's made especially the silver at the World 2011 and for being a great role model of how to continue one's academic path while staying as a top level skater. He will be missed. So badly.

ETA:
You know what, reading through other's comments, I am reminded that it's quite common for skaters from other countries to start a completely new life after their competitive career. It's rather unusual in Japan so I was just not expecting this from him... but I always had a lot of respect when foreign skaters are encouraged to do something new. It's odd I was expecting something different from Japanese skaters really. Wishing him a bright future ahead.

Last edited:

Kelly

On the Ice
Thank you very much Perdita for the translation. Kozuka is the first Japanese male skater I adore.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I hope he tries all sorts of new things and finds success. However, his skills in skating were so great that I wish that some day he'll come back to the ice and teach other skaters. I know he says he'll step away from skating, but maybe one day...? I hope.

seniorita

Record Breaker
:sad4:Nooo. I always felt like he never fulfilled his potential being in the shadow of Daisuke.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Wow not going to perform or coach after? Worst news of the day. His retirement was something I saw coming but seeing it official makes me really sad. I wish him all the luck in his new life but I hope one day he finds it in himself to return to ice. I guess after such a long career he really needs a break.

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Best of luck to Taka. I'm going to miss his skating. His spread eagle is still one of the most beautiful I've seen. :luv17: