2016 Autumn Classic Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Free Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Thank you! Well a lot to digest there. My immediate impression is that it is a better program than the Olympic Farewell To Our Careers and Funny Face, but not as interesting as Carmen or the first half of their Latin program (both of which were fascinating failures). Some other drive by impressions:

--The descending stationary rotational lift to end the program is ID's Newest Cliche! Wow! I think I just saw my fourth grade teacher do it with her husband! Find a partner and You Can Do It Too!
--The entrance into the twizzles is wonderful
--Ditto their first lift
--The straight line lift is complicated but at first I thought they missed it and were trying again.
--Bringing David Wilson in to co-choreograph was a very very wise decision. I can't be as enthusiastic about the choreography after one go round as others here, but bravo for not being mush. Big big bravo. There are layers to that, particularly in the step sequence that will be interesting to see develop and deepen.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Thank you! Well a lot to digest there. My immediate impression is that it is a better program than the Olympic Farewell To Our Careers and Funny Face, but not as interesting as Carmen or the first half of their Latin program (both of which were fascinating failures). Some other drive by impressions:

--The descending stationary rotational lift to end the program is ID's Newest Cliche! Wow! I think I just saw my fourth grade teacher do it with her husband! Find a partner and You Can Do It Too!
--The entrance into the twizzles is wonderful
--Ditto their first lift
--The straight line lift is complicated but at first I thought they missed it and were trying again.
--Bringing David Wilson in to co-choreograph was a very very wise decision. I can't be as enthusiastic about the choreography after one go round as others here, but bravo for not being mush. Big big bravo. There are layers to that, particularly in the step sequence that will be interesting to see develop and deepen.

Yeah, its that good :)

sarama

Medalist
I finally managed to watch V/M's FD. Overall I like it, there is a lot to be polished but that is expected at this point, the lifts especially were stunning but still not as smooth as they could be. David Wilson's input was definitely there and I'm glad for it. To end my rant I have a question though: WHY on earth is this program so open? Skating with uncanny speed and power while being in close hold and the effortless frequent changes of hold are kind of their trademark (at least in my mind), it's a pity not to show those abilities.

olayolay

On the Ice
I finally managed to watch V/M's FD. Overall I like it, there is a lot to be polished but that is expected at this point, the lifts especially were stunning but still not as smooth as they could be. David Wilson's input was definitely there and I'm glad for it. To end my rant I have a question though: WHY on earth is this program so open? Skating with uncanny speed and power while being in close hold and the effortless frequent changes of hold are kind of their trademark (at least in my mind), it's a pity not to show those abilities.

It's not like they were getting extra points for it before, LOL.

They probably thought, 'screw it'.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
To end my rant I have a question though: WHY on earth is this program so open? Skating with uncanny speed and power while being in close hold and the effortless frequent changes of hold are kind of their trademark (at least in my mind), it's a pity not to show those abilities.
Unfortunately, I think this is on Dubreuil. After all, Papadakis/Cizeron's FDs with Dubreuil/Lauzon/Haguenauer have been quite open too so far. As for Virtue/Moir, they got better (obviously) training conditions and a somewhat different style with this coaching team, but seems there are some things they lost that were more good than bad. So it is - with the good comes also the bad (figuratively speaking, of course).

sarama

Medalist
It's not like they were getting extra points for it before, LOL.

They probably thought, 'screw it'.

Unfortunately, I think this is on Dubreuil. After all, Papadakis/Cizeron's FDs with Dubreuil/Lauzon/Haguenauer have been quite open too so far. As for Virtue/Moir, they got better (obviously) training conditions and a somewhat different style with this coaching team, but seems there are some things they lost that were more good than bad. So it is - with the good comes also the bad (figuratively speaking, of course).

You are both right, but the idealist in me still wish they would go for the difficulty (albeit not rewarded) just to show that they didn't come back only to please the judges and win medals, but mainly because they want to skate on their own terms and fully explore their potential. That said, they are probably smart to go this way, I'm just a little disappointed (but alas, we idealists often are!)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You are both right, but the idealist in me still wish they would go for the difficulty (albeit not rewarded) just to show that they didn't come back only to please the judges and win medals, but mainly because they want to skate on their own terms and fully explore their potential. That said, they are probably smart to go this way, I'm just a little disappointed (but alas, we idealists often are!)

Why is there no sound? Other YouTube videos played ok. Is it my iPad?

Any ideas? Thank you.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
H/B were fine, a lovely improvement from last season. HOWEVER V/M were just peerless.

Word to the wise: don't compare scores across competitions its a pointless activity. Rather look at protocols and the quality of the skate :)

Now let me go watch their programs again :)

Was it really outside Marina's reach to create a beautiful program like this for Sochi? I thought Mahler was just too saccharine (sweet); really difficult for me to watch it all the way through, but this has the potential to be magical.

So excited about H/B!!! They show some real promise for the future.

elif

Medalist
Tessa and Scott, did you really come back for that FD? Skating -as usual- beautiful, but music choice for me doesn't work (I don't like this style) and choreography very boring. Small lifts everywhere, a lot of poses, series of crossovers for turning corners. While short dance is very dancey and different, this looks old and boring. Remind me Mahler with all the poses, small lifts and two foot moves. That kind of skating easy. I'm not going to criticize Chock&Bates anymore. At least they are fast while doing easy moves, poses or hops.

Just watch after the spin. Small lift, pose, crossovers, pose, another pose,small lift,crossovers into the step sequence.. After or before that you can see more poses, lifting Tessa. Two foot skating everywhere except step sequences.(unfortunately for them, necessary)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
How I saw it at the venue post 2/4

(Please see warnings and disclaimer as posted in my summary 1/4 in the ladies thread)

After the ladies,

I was thrilled that we were going for Ice Dance... For some reason, I need that :)

Warmup Group 1

Most noticeable : Luis Fenero, Eric Radford's boyfriend is quite cute, much better live than on pictures... (oh yeah... from now on, 4everchan starts the fanboying... sorry not sorry !)

The first Canadian team Haley and Nikolas : I have NEVER heard of them. I thought she was radiant on the ice. And well, with his hair, he is promised to a long career in ice dance. However, what I will remember from their dance is that scary but OMG so scary fall that happened in the middle of the ice. It looked like something went horribly wrong at one point and he had to sort of let her go in slow motion. It was EXTREMELY painful to watch. But meh, she continued after, radiant smile on. Good for them. Promising.

Carla and Luis were next : for those who blame Marie-France and Patrice for mushy choreo... well this one was super fun. Interesting lifts, dancing. The crowd was so pleased. Spotted in the pre KnC, Dubreuil and her legendary eternal beauty was all smiles and fake fur.

The not suspicious bio at all couple of Marie-Jade and Romain were next. I think that their acrobatic lift, looking like a twist is probably on the lips of most of you who watched the stream. What I noticed from being there was their vibe. They really skate in harmony. A real on ice in life couple and it shows. The last lift was cool too.. and their coach is just gorgeous.

Firus and Soucisse were next. Brand new couple. Twizzles were off... oh wait!!!1 It's Eric Radford!!!! OMG... I m guessing he came to support Luis.... he is so good looking in person. Tall and manly. Light beard. Nice... oh... where are we with this dance... oups... almost over.... promising but yeah... the team needs a lot of mileage. Oh and guess who is there in the pre KnC? Patrice Lauzon. More fanboying happening :)

That was a quick group and I didn't mind it was over. There is really a huge difference in the groups in these events I guess. I saw it in the ladies, but it was the same everywhere.

Warmup : OMG Tessa and Scott are on the ice : you can already see the difference in speed and ice coverage. While looking at them... my eyes catch on Nikolaj. That's it. I am in love. Sorry but I have seen him on tv and online before but OMG he is so gorgeous. A tall man with the perfect ratio of lean muscle and round assets where needed. I was just so shocked by his beauty and then

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Tessa and Scott nearly crashed with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc It was a close call. Everyone gasped. I don't know if you saw that on the stream.... it reminded me of when there was a near crash with P/C and V/M. Well, maybe that's a good omen for the americans. Maybe that will lead them to the world title one day ;) More fear than harm....

Isabella and Ilya from Israel are on the ice. SIGH .... why???? WHY are you doing the nutcracker? I thought Ice Dance was trying to get away from ballet on ice. The music is not working for me at all. The add-ons later on to make it into a clear tempo is making me angry.... so glad a judge expressed agreement with me by giving them a music requirement violation!

I noticed their twizzles being VERY slow compared to other teams.

Olivia and Adria were next : right away, one could notice how much speed and flow they had compared to all previous teams. I think this new partnership will work and be good. Another mess up in twizzles... I loved their entrance in parallel camel position for their spin. It reminded me of Brasseur and Eisler. SPOTTED Josée Picard (I think she coached B/E) and then of course, he was trying to grab her foot in a lift and couldn't see it (from my angle it seemed he had her skirt in his face!!! )and it was another scary moment in Ice Dance world... Sigh... I started to be afraid about pairs at that point. VERY promising

Laurence and Nikolaj fanboying over the feline body of Nikolaj some more... his costume is gorgeously showcasing his immense beauty... but you know, I can also recognize that Laurence is also very beautiful. I like her very long braid. This was skated with elegance. It was like Prince Charming was on the ice with his lovely princess. MUAHAHA I cannot believe I just typed that. It shows that the Dane is skating with a local Quebec girl. Laurence got massive cheering. At the beginning, the voice overs were extremely annoying. We couldn't hear a thing with the echo. They are a bit slower than the previous Spanish pair but they compensate with their lines. Finally, we start hearing a song out of those weird voiceovers... it's L'Hymne à l'amour from PIaf. It's starting to pick up and they finish well. The crowd goes nuts. I remember that my phone is dead... or else I'd take so many pictures of him !

Tessa and Scott are now on the ice : I have to admit that I am a huge fan. I have given my heart to Nikolaj (sorry Patrick) for the day.. but Scott is a close second ! What is striking when watching live is how much more bulky Scott is compared to the other ice dancers. Of course, I suspect he is not the only bigger dancer (I think Alex Shibutani is also quite tall and strong) but today, he is the dude of the ice !

A mother lode of cell phones are pointed in their direction. They haven't even started and the crowd is going crazy.
They start with a beautiful opening lift. Here, it's the attention to the choreography that marks me. Every note is supported by a precise gesture. It's incredibly beautiful to watch. Their twizzles are very fast and precise. They are really emoting like nobody else. I feel I am witnessing something special. They are soft, smooth, very fast and connected to the music and audience. Scott gets really tired near the end and for a second I think the last lift is not going to go up... it does but it is laboured. I cannot wait to see this dance when it's polished. I nearly teared up.

Jean-Luc and Kaitlin now have the tough chore of skating after the crowd gives a very big standing ovation to V/M.

After fanboying over Nikolay and Scott, I cannot help noticing how small the Americans are. I am not really worried about height difference. They seem to have enough there but, I am not sure how they will connect with the audience. I have not seen a lot of them in the past, maybe a couple times only, so I am very open to experience their style. First strike : Liebestraum... I immediately think about M/D and tune out for a second. Then, I am amazed by their soft and beautiful skating. They flow, they have deep edges. It's just gorgeous. They do their twizzles very well. Everyone sitting between me and the front has left after V/M so I have a completely unobstructed vision of them. The final lift helps them convince me that he is okay lifting because the previous ones didn't . I am not convinced that they should at this point, skate on only 1 piece of music, especially a classical warhorse. Yes, their skating is so beautiful but it almost felt like they were skating for themselves. It was a bit introverted IMHO. I'd try to push them in as many styles as possible while they are young and so capable of learning so many things fast. I have no idea what their future is considering how strong is dance in the USA right now. I'd like seeing the top 4-5 USA dance teams to see how they distinguish themselves from one another.... It sort of feels wrong that these two kids will be limited to smaller events. Lots and lots and lots of potential.

Scores come up... Crowd, what's left of it, is cheering. V/M are back with a gold.

Time for me to eat... oh no... I forgot about arena food... sigh... huge lineup. Junior skater Celestino is in line too He is very bubbly and happy looking. Let's hope for future PChiddy! I swallow something fast... while they do the medal ceremonies by the restaurant. So many people are glued to Scott and Tessa. I am getting ready to go back inside as I don't want to miss the pairs.... and then. OMG I bump into Nikolaj I do not collect autographs....but well, I have a pen and a notebook and I dare asking for him to sign my book. He seems amused as before me, he must have signed the books of 15-20 9 or 10 y o girls and here I come, a grown up man, not shaven, presenting him with my book and my sharpie. This moment will stay with me for a long time as I got to admire his perfection while he is printing his name with my pen inside my book. I tell him how much I appreciated his skating. He thanks me. I leave, suspended, not believing how much beauty I just saw in front of me. WOW. :dbana:

Last edited:

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
fanboying over the feline body of Nikolaj some more... his costume is gorgeously showcasing his immense beauty

:laugh:

Thanks for the detailed description of what you saw at the venue that we may not have caught on the stream! Both technically and...otherwise ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I definitely will!!!!! I have a list of things I want to watch online to see how they translate and I had already put them there to see them again! Is Shane Liam's brother?
love your enthusiam!! take another look at baby team soucisse and firus.. something good is starting to happen there

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Is Shane Liam's brother?

Yes, Liam is Shane's big brother.
Old photo of them together:

BTW, at the time of High Performance Camp, Liam mentioned in an interview that Shane and he are living together :cool:, now that both are training in Montreal.

Thx for writing out your observations.
The near crash btwn V/M and H/B was not apparent on the streaming, AFAIK. Yikes, thank goodness that a crash was averted.
Mother lode of cell phones is a great word picture :cool:.
I loved Tessa and Scott's FD -- and that opening lift :luv17: was especially amazing.

Congratulations to Tessa/Scott :bow: + Kaitlin/Jean-Luc + Laurence/Nikolaj.

Mattieu

Medalist
I really enjoyed the FD apart from the fact I felt they were trying too hard.
When they get more used to the program, I think that will improve.