2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
We like to keep up to date by posting protocols, videos, and direct links to results of Canadian skaters. If a Canadian has competed somewhere we do our best to follow them and cheer them on. Regardless of misspelled names or even skaters put into the wrong category (like Eri in Nice).

Osmond4Gold thanks for reminding me of Vero. I totally forgot about her after Challenge. :hopelessness: She's gotten a very cute puppy. As has Gabby. Team Canada sure likes their dogs. Meagan, Patrick, Eric, Kirsten, Gabby, Veronik, Sarah, Megan Yim... They should do a 'dogs of Team Canada' photo shoot and make it into a calendar they can sell.

We never got to see Keegan's EX from the CTNSC17 gala but here's a cool hydroblade: https://www.instagram.com/p/BROD4KNAV7t/
He's gotten so comfortable with the 4Lz-3T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRHUHdkF1FO/
Can't wait to see it next season!

Hannah and Justine have been modelling for Elite Xpression:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRJ3kFRhHpY/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BROiluPhPR9/

OM*G that quad LUTZ combo is gorgeous.... my favourite ever so far!!!!!! look at him rotate so well!!!! OMG wefijwoeifjwoeij0193joleknnlksdnvlksndlk;eokwojfnv

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
OM*G that quad LUTZ combo is gorgeous.... my favourite ever so far!!!!!! look at him rotate so well!!!! OMG wefijwoeifjwoeij0193joleknnlksdnvlksndlk;eokwojfnv

He's more at ease with this combo than his 4T-3T IMO. It's just insane. It's like he was built to do this combo.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
(But I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was too distracted by his happiness :dance2: for  Larkyn that she was within striking distance of a medal.)

As someone who was in the believer category, ice coverage, when the Canadian women were not doing so well, and a certain poster took much of his GS time bashing and trashing, constantly criticizing us for having bigger dreams, to then be united in our celebration, "by his happiness" as you said, of the successes this season, ...it's hard to believe his joy, or be charitable to the poster, when fortunes change.

Can you say, ...hypocrisy!

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
:laugh2: what a comedy of errors ;)

as I said... all in good fun and sport.

Now, regarding Mervin... I just want him to be able to skate when he deserves a spot. I was not really happy he didn't get any assignments after getting a silver with Marissa at US Nationals... that's just unfair and when you look at the results of the pairs who went to 4CC, only S-K/K did well... C/T deserved a spot...

but this should be in US Pairs' thread.... even if we love our Canadian boy Mervin, I am afraid he won't really be making this thread that often.... getting US residency? Can he do so by the fall????

Thought I should mention Mervin's commitment to both skating and his current partnership here because there was a lot of chat on this thread about wanting Mervin back skating for Canada after the USFSA decisions on assignments came out after US nationals.

The Ice Network interviewer, while apologizing for doing it, was quite relentless on pushing them on the Olympics and on the citizenship question. Thought they handled it really well. But it's clear Mervin is committed to the partnership and getting US citizenship.

By the way, while everyone keeps saying that Mervin needs to be in the US to get permanent residency, my understanding is quite the opposite. My recollection of the process [from when I was a grad student in the US and attended an info session on US immigration processes in case I got a job there and stayed], was that you had to be outside the US to apply for a green card. In fact, one of the things we were cautioned to get legal advice and support on was how to do the delicate dance of saying you aren't planning to stay in the US as required for the temporary work visas, while starting the process for a green card in which you say you want to stay permanently in the US. Applying for the green card from Montreal actually would be more straightforward. I suspect the challenges will be greater after he moves on to the next stage in terms of maintaining a residency in the US while training in Canada.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thought I should mention Mervin's commitment to both skating and his current partnership here because there was a lot of chat on this thread about wanting Mervin back skating for Canada after the USFSA decisions on assignments came out after US nationals.

The Ice Network interviewer, while apologizing for doing it, was quite relentless on pushing them on the Olympics and on the citizenship question. Thought they handled it really well. But it's clear Mervin is committed to the partnership and getting US citizenship.

By the way, while everyone keeps saying that Mervin needs to be in the US to get permanent residency, my understanding is quite the opposite. My recollection of the process [from when I was a grad student in the US and attended an info session on US immigration processes in case I got a job there and stayed], was that you had to be outside the US to apply for a green card. In fact, one of the things we were cautioned to get legal advice and support on was how to do the delicate dance of saying you aren't planning to stay in the US as required for the temporary work visas, while starting the process for a green card in which you say you want to stay permanently in the US. Applying for the green card from Montreal actually would be more straightforward. I suspect the challenges will be greater after he moves on to the next stage in terms of maintaining a residency in the US while training in Canada.

Agree with the bolded part. I don't know if Mervyn realizes that a substantial physical presence in the US is required for citizenship. The same is true with Canada. You can't just get residency and wait to become eligible for citizenship unless you do most of that waiting in the country you intend to join.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Agree with the bolded part. I don't know if Mervyn realizes that a substantial physical presence in the US is required for citizenship. The same is true with Canada. You can't just get residency and wait to become eligible for citizenship unless you do most of that waiting in the country you intend to join.

just for moving back in quebec... the first year back, i wasn't allowed to out of the province for an extended period of time and i had to prove i had spent more than 180 days in quebec to retain my newly reacquired medicare card

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
just for moving back in quebec... the first year back, i wasn't allowed to out of the province for an extended period of time and i had to prove i had spent more than 180 days in quebec to retain my newly reacquired medicare card

It's similar in all the provinces. Snowbirds think you just have to show up in your medicare province once every six months. In fact, you have to spend more than 6 months in the province every year to retain your medicare. But they don't always or often ask for proof.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's similar in all the provinces. Snowbirds think you just have to show up in your medicare province once every six months. In fact, you have to spend more than 6 months in the province every year to retain your medicare. But they don't always or often ask for proof.

i was asked for proof the first year... not the following years .. i guess i am ok now lol... but yeah... i don't know how mervin would be able to train in montreal but prove he is in usa long enough... poor boy...

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

When my uncle got his green card last year he wasn't allowed to leave the US while the process was taking place. And he was there at the time on a work visa.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When my uncle got his green card last year he wasn't allowed to leave the US while the process was taking place. And he was there at the time on a work visa.

yup... once you are about to get it, you have to stay in the US for quite a while... so again, kind of tricky for someone who would like to go train or compete outside the us borders

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm seeing so much critical analysis of the US ladies right now. It's amazing to see that after all the usual comments of 'well the US ladies are >>>>> than the Canadian girls' that I am blessed to read in this thread. :laugh:

Tessa Virtue has let us know that we'll be seeing some new moves in the Prince SD: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRTihLalpK3/

"Patrick is poetry on ice": https://www.instagram.com/p/BRS8OfogKk5/

Kim & Joseph trying imitate Meagan & Eric: https://www.instagram.com/p/BRCQSBHAt4r/

Also not sure what this was for but here's Ted Barton with a few QC skaters: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZE97rh6aJ/

The ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships are this week in Mississauga at the Hershey Centre.
Skate Canada's site: https://skatecanada.ca/event/isu-world-junior-synchronized-skating-championships-2017/
ISU website: http://www.isu.org/en/synchronized-...rld-junior-synchronized-skating-championships

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
patrick is poetry on ice indeed.... :love:

kim and joseph... i predict a breakthrough for them next year.... kim was very close to getting to the national team this year. joseph is improving very fast.

what i find hilarious is that the US ladies' tradition was indeed very strong but not lately.... sure Ashley got a silver last year... but that was their first medal in years... and there was Joannie for Canada at WC and OG.... sure, her career wasn't as long as it could have been considering her colleagues Mao and Caro are still skating (and Yuna made another round in 2014).... but it's not like Canada was always in a deep hole with its ladies. Of course, our weakest discipline for sure but it still has managed to produce some medals and more to come.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
We normally get a very one dimensional overview of US ladies skating here. I don't hear the same comments about any of the Japanese or Korean ladies. So the honesty I'm seeing now is kind of refreshing??

I think Skate Canada believes in Kim. They gave her an assignment to US Classic in September. She missed that chance to get the Worlds minimums so she can't be an alternate. But maybe next season we'll see her at Autumn Classic.

Joseph does look to be ready for Junior Worlds. But Roman also appears to be doing fine (he's at YRSA these days) so it looks like the Bavarian Open trio will not be reunited for now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well it's about time...

but honestly, I think it's because they feel good about Nathan now.... because they were also still turning a blind eye on the state of US men the last few years, when none of them had reliable quads.

I am not here to put on a trial on the fans, definitely not... but you are correct. It's refreshing, though I tend to stick in the Canadian thread.

I am looking forward to worlds so much... I hope our athletes do well. I am counting on Kevin to bring the rotating quad Kevin to the game. I think he will be ready... unlike at 4CC. I have good feelings about Patrick doing slightly better than last year (he finished 5th).

Duhamel and Radford will have their best skates of the season. WIll it be enough? It doesn't matter. I'd prefer if they didn't win the championships this year, as going into the Olympics with a 3rd world title just sounds like Canadian curse to me... What will be interesting to see is how I/M do (they could do top 5 if they land their SBS) and how Seguin Bilodeau do.... So much promise but so far, so little luck.

I count on Tessa and Scott to bring gold home... at least, Canada has good chances to have another gold this year !!!

P squared and Weapo shall redeem from 4CC's disastrous outings.

And our ladies... what can I say... I am most nervous for them as they probably have the most pressure and the most to lose. They both have done well this year in important competitions. However, I am afraid that the talk about the 3 spots is getting to them a bit. Until 4CC, I thought Kaetlyn would be definitely on top... now I am not sure anymore... I am not saying that her momentum has shifted completely but Gabby is also bringing it and each time I see her compete, I like her more and more. I also think that Gabby is the present AND future of Canadian ladies... she is younger than Alaine and Kaetlyn so I am thinking that she may keep at it until 2022... she would only be 23 by then anyways.... right?

Anyways... it's late... i am not sure I am making any sense...just thinking out loud LOL

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
^May want to be careful friend. Don't want to end up with a 'Negative or Unnecessary post' infraction.

We can only be cheerful and necessary. :)