Ladies and quad jumps? | Golden Skate

Ladies and quad jumps?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Who do you think among current crop of junior & senior ladies (or maybe even novice - there's Young You after all) could master such in the future? I think that with modern technique, training and equipment as well as very competitive field (that can encourage at least few to set themselves apart) we should have some trying to learn them and possibly eventually incorporate those jumps into competitive programs :) Or is that beyond their beyond their physical capabilities or too dangerous? Up to now the first and only female skater to land quad (salchow) in ISU event was Miki Ando in 2002 or 2003.

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
My bets were on Polina T who, in my opinion, is one of the best current jumpers out there. Unfortunately she is SO plagued by injuries that my only wish by now is that she remains healthy and safe, maybe trying to add a quad would be too dangerous for her.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I agree about Polina Tsurskaya. For others, I'm thinking that Gabrielle Daleman might be able to do a 4T since her 3T is amazing.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Surya Bonaly probably landed 4T and 4S in practice as she attempted those jumps in competition. Sasha Cohen also landed 4S in practice, but none were ratified. Polina Tsurskaya may be capable of doing quad, but due to her injuries twice in a year, I don't know at this point. Tall height does not seem to be advantageous for ladies skaters to rotate in the air. Rather petite skaters with a well muscled body could be do well at quad someday.

mcq

Record Breaker
Based on how huge her jump is, I would bet on Gabby Daleman. Her 3T is so huge, some men's 4T would even be put to shame.
However, I saw Tursynbaeva land a 4S in her practice video so maybe you don't need to have such massive jumps in order to land one. I think it is more beneficial to have a reliable and consistent 3A and 3-3 than a quad. A downgraded quad is such points giveaway.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Most likely it will be one of the small built super fast rotators. Can't really think of any right now. I don't think it will be Tsurskaya though due to her height. She is more likely to be able to muscle out a 3A rather than a quad. The other bet I put on 3A is Wakaba Higuchi. Quad? Gubanova, Tursynbaeva, maybe Higuchi if she tries hard on the 4S?

TGee

Record Breaker
Most likely it will be one of the small built super fast rotators. Can't really think of any right now. I don't think it will be Tsurskaya though due to her height. She is more likely to be able to muscle out a 3A rather than a quad. The other bet I put on 3A is Wakaba Higuchi. Quad? Gubanova, Tursynbaeva, maybe Higuchi if she tries hard on the 4S?

Lil Bet TurSynbaeva definitely is already landing a 4S in training.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKrXU01ANgX/?taken-by=elizabet_tursynbaeva&hl=en

She's having a tough season, so it could be a while before we see her as a jump innovator in competitions. But absolutely no doubt she can do it.

andromache

Record Breaker
It'll be happening in juniors for junior-sized ladies (so no Polina Tsurskaya) soon enough. Seeing it translate into seniors will be more rare.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does having a 3A in your stable of jumps make you more likely to land a quad? How about Rika Kihira or Liza T?

andromache

Record Breaker
Does having a 3A in your stable of jumps make you more likely to land a quad? How about Rika Kihira or Liza T?

I doubt it, at least not until the overall technical capacity of the ladies division increases. The acquisition and maintenance of a 3A probably means there's no time to get/keep a quad.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Liza T - maybe? Rika's 3A as stable as it is, looks slightly cheated on the entry to me (I could be wrong); she's not a big jumper more like fast rotator but at the same time she still is a child.

mrrice

Record Breaker

I don't know, I trust Patrick's quads more than his 3 Axel. Same with Adam Rippon. As far as Ladies land quads, it's certainly possible as Miki Ando has landed one in competition and there's a video somewhere that show's Sasha Cohen landing a really good one in practice. I don't think she ever did one in competition, however. This isn't the one I remember but, here she is attempting one in the warm up at skate America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIsRJSjotE

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The main problem with a quad attempt is that a skater probably has to replace a triple she can do well to try the quad. Factoring in the likelihood of earning -GOE with a UR or fall, as well as the mental and physical toll the attempt can take on the program, it is rarely a good risk to take.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The main problem with a quad attempt is that a skater probably has to replace a triple she can do well to try the quad. Factoring in the likelihood of earning -GOE with a UR or fall, as well as the mental and physical toll the attempt can take on the program, it is rarely a good risk to take.

I agree. I thought that Alaine's Triple Axel attempts derailed the rest of her program when she failed to land it in competition. Did she ever land a clean 3A in competition?

sarama

Medalist

I don't think so: I can't remember a single lady who ever talked about both a 3A and a quad. Anyway, if rules stay what they are it's far more convenient to have a 3A: you can do it in both programs and it ends up replacing the least worthy jump of your programs (except for 2toes and loops of combos), which is also mandatory (so the other can't help but having it). It's a huge advantage!

mcq

Record Breaker

They probably will replace the 2A. Most ladies do 2 2A in their layout. But I agree with you, unless they are confident in getting the full rotation most of the time, quad is not worth the try. Men are more inclined to try many quads because at least if they fall, they can still get the rotation.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Last year I thought Vivian Le can do quads, because some of her jumps were so high. But it seems this year she is working on a different jumping strategy.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hmm
Just judging by their stability, technique, and quality of their triples/2A
Soyoun - 3A or 4S
Wakaba - 3A
Adelina - 3A or 4T
Zhenya - 4S? -> she rotates fast and it is one of her more stable jumps
Gabby - 4T
Yuna A - 3A

nadster

Final Flight
I don't know, I trust Patrick's quads more than his 3 Axel. Same with Adam Rippon.

I don't trust Adam Rippon's quads.. Over the last 2 seasons his axels are consistent ( but tiny ) and the quad is still inconsistent.