2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 297 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

brightphoton

Medalist
So Flatt wasn’t doing the Beilmann in her spins because of the injured back? I know that up until recently (the 2015/16 season???) the beilmann was required to receive a level 4, right? So I’m guessing that lots of ladies, including Flatt, got injuries trying to achieve that position?

Oh wow don't remind me. There was some sort of rule in that era, which said you had to get your blade above a certain height or into a certain position to get points. But not everyone has the back flexibility. So what did skaters do?

There were layneck spins, tilting the head backwards, if they couldn't bend their back for the lauyback. There were hair cutter spins, you grab the foot and haul it up to your ear. There were catch foot spins, you put your foot behind you and grab it. So many awful positions, just to get that level 4.

Yuna Kim also had back issues from an injury in her Junior days, and she had to try her best to do the Bielman and layback spin, and had to drop her chest almost to the floor to get her leg up high enough for the spiral sequence. Some skaters like Fumie (I think) just accepted their back wouldn't allow them to do the spin and resigned themselves to the fact that they wouldn't get points for it.

louisa05

Final Flight
Retail is the worst job imagine able from an infectious standpoint... customers shop irregardless of how they feel, coughing all over you and merchandisease which sales associates must handle. I usually remain healthy thru flu season, but I too filled in briefly in a retail situation once and came down with the worst flu of my life, so miserable!!

:laugh:

Try teaching. Know what kindergarteners do when they don't feel well? Come right up to tell you and cough in your face. Or hold out their snot covered hands for you to clean up. Or just vomit in your lap.

I'm a sub teacher. So not only do I get it from the kids, I go into the room when the teacher is sick and have no choice but to handle all the germ covered stuff left out for me.

jimini

On the Ice
Oh wow don't remind me. There was some sort of rule in that era, which said you had to get your blade above a certain height or into a certain position to get points. But not everyone has the back flexibility. So what did skaters do?

There were layneck spins, tilting the head backwards, if they couldn't bend their back for the lauyback. There were hair cutter spins, you grab the foot and haul it up to your ear. There were catch foot spins, you put your foot behind you and grab it. So many awful positions, just to get that level 4.

Yuna Kim also had back issues from an injury in her Junior days, and she had to try her best to do the Bielman and layback spin, and had to drop her chest almost to the floor to get her leg up high enough for the spiral sequence. Some skaters like Fumie (I think) just accepted their back wouldn't allow them to do the spin and resigned themselves to the fact that they wouldn't get points for it.
Now that the layback is no longer required in the SP for women (you can do sit or camel instead), I hope we'll see less skaters doing laybacks (at least not as a solo spin / LSp). Don't get me wrong, a great layback +Biellman is great! But so few skaters can even do a nice regular layback, I'd rather see them try something else, especially if it means avoiding injuries.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
:laugh:

Try teaching. Know what kindergarteners do when they don't feel well? Come right up to tell you and cough in your face. Or hold out their snot covered hands for you to clean up. Or just vomit in your lap.

I'm a sub teacher. So not only do I get it from the kids, I go into the room when the teacher is sick and have no choice but to handle all the germ covered stuff left out for me.

OMG!!! I know schools are the worst... daycare my friend's toddler attends wipes all surfaces and toys down with germ killing agents a gazillion times an hour.. who knows if it helps?! Your reference to snot had me in hysterics... nothing worse than that except animal messes.... YUK!! :drama: :roll9:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
When will the name for team event announced? Im curious. Will bradie skate both? I think not

It would probably be announced very close to the actual event, as IIRC the countries are able to modify the lineup even after the short programs.

EDIT: Today, Rippon stated during a teleconference: "I hope I'll be asked to skate in the Team Event. I think I would be a very helpful asset to the team because of my experience."

So I think the skaters and their teams are still lobbying for a place in the competition.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Now that the layback is no longer required in the SP for women (you can do sit or camel instead), I hope we'll see less skaters doing laybacks (at least not as a solo spin / LSp). Don't get me wrong, a great layback +Biellman is great! But so few skaters can even do a nice regular layback, I'd rather see them try something else, especially if it means avoiding injuries.

Wait, when did that happen? I thought the requirements are still layback, combo and a flying spin (sit or camel). Is that a new change to the rules for 2018-2019? :scratch2:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Wait, when did that happen? I thought the requirements are still layback, combo and a flying spin (sit or camel). Is that a new change to the rules for 2018-2019? :scratch2:

no the rules have been this way I think since last year. You can do a solo sit or camel instead of layback. You just can't change feet. EX: flying sit, broken leg hold for eight, tuck. That would be a lvl 4 replacement for layback.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
no the rules have been this way I think since last year. You can do a solo sit or camel instead of layback. You just can't change feet. EX: flying sit, broken leg hold for eight, tuck. That would be a lvl 4 replacement for layback.

Definitely must have missed that. Seems like everyone is still doing a layback spin though...most of the main competitors anyway. That's probably why I didn't notice the rules changed.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Flying spin cannot replace the solo spin. Flying spin in one position still required. Senior can be camel, sit or layback. Junior this season is camel or layback due to the flitting sit requirement

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Definitely must have missed that. Seems like everyone is still doing a layback spin though...most of the main competitors anyway. That's probably why I didn't notice the rules changed.
There are subtle or less subtle changes in requirements almost every year for each discipline (definitely for Ice Dance for obvious reasons) ... coaches, skaters and choreographers obviously follow them or at least should while we mostly overlook them somewhat, some of them only for one particular year like requirements for death spiral in Pairs as they may change every 2nd year or compulsory Lvl3 lift of specific type in Pairs this year. This particular change of layback spin rule was not particularly emphasized by commentators, albeit I recall one thread dedicated to this change on this board. I think many skaters continue with layback spin simply out of habit. Lvl4 solo (no combination no flying) layback spin has the highest BV of all spins so there's that additional incentive of doing it :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

macy

Record Breaker
Audio of Mirai's 2018 pre-OWG media teleconference:

Ice Network topic link where audio of all 2018 pre-OWG media calls will be added:

Karen's audio is there.
Jackie Wong's Twitter thread re Karen's call:

Happy Birthday to Bradie :hb:.

interesting to know Karen will be taking next year off. makes me wonder if she will decide to retire after if she will be more focused on school, or if she'll be able to make a good comeback.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
interesting to know Karen will be taking next year off. makes me wonder if she will decide to retire after if she will be more focused on school, or if she'll be able to make a good comeback.

Sorry, I'm not sure what your post is trying to say?

In any case, I think what Jackie's tweet means is that Karen will be taking a "gap year" in terms of her education, not in terms of her skating?

So Karen will not need to make a comeback in terms of her skating?

(I have not listened to Karen's audio yet. Just going by Jackie's tweeting.)

ETA:
I now have tried listening to Karen's call, but the audio is garbled at the end -- before any mention of a "gap year" (or any question about her education). So impossible to nail down what she intended to say. :(
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/265554398/v1873701183

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
The tweet wasn't very clear. The first time I read it, I interpreted it like macy; then immediately read it again and interpreted it like ice coverage. My sense upon looking at it that second time was that she was asked about her plans for her education and answered by saying she has time to clarify those plans because she is taking a year off from school.

macy

Record Breaker
The tweet wasn't very clear. The first time I read it, I interpreted it like macy; then immediately read it again and interpreted it like ice coverage. My sense upon looking at it that second time was that she was asked about her plans for her education and answered by saying she has time to clarify those plans because she is taking a year off from school.

oh I understand now, I thought she was referring to skating. well that makes me feel better since i'll be attending nationals next year :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nagasu endures hard times with parents' support
Two-time Olympian recommitted herself to skating after 2014 heartbreak

Posted 2/1/18
by Philip Hersh, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/01/265623186

Lovely article :luv17:.
Not only a recap of Mirai's media call, but also the bonus of enterprise reporting by Hersh -- who (for example) got comments from Michelle Kwan in reaction to Mirai's comments on being inspired by MK.

The last four paragraphs had me bawling :sad4: :ghug::

Best of all, her parents get to share the dream-come-true with her in PyeongChang. They call her frequently to tell her about the things they are most looking forward to seeing and doing in South Korea, even if their stay will be just a week.

"Then it's back to reality," Nagasu wrote in an email. "The restaurant business is unforgiving. They have to physically be there to generate business."

Nagasu has competed at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships as a senior on 11 occasions; of those, her father has been in attendance exactly zero times. He made it to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the proximity of which to Los Angeles allowed him to minimize the time away from work.

"I am really, really happy they are getting this opportunity, especially my dad, because as the owner and sushi chef of that restaurant, he has never really had time to watch me skate," Nagasu said. "For him to close the restaurant, even for a week, to come watch me skate means the world to me."

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Nagasu endures hard times with parents' support
Two-time Olympian recommitted herself to skating after 2014 heartbreak

Posted 2/1/18
by Philip Hersh, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/01/265623186

Lovely article :luv17:.
Not only a recap of Mirai's media call, but also the bonus of enterprise reporting by Hersh -- who (for example) got comments from Michelle Kwan in reaction to Mirai's comments on being inspired by MK.

The last four paragraphs had me bawling :sad4: :ghug::

Best of all, her parents get to share the dream-come-true with her in PyeongChang. They call her frequently to tell her about the things they are most looking forward to seeing and doing in South Korea, even if their stay will be just a week.

"Then it's back to reality," Nagasu wrote in an email. "The restaurant business is unforgiving. They have to physically be there to generate business."

Nagasu has competed at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships as a senior on 11 occasions; of those, her father has been in attendance exactly zero times. He made it to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the proximity of which to Los Angeles allowed him to minimize the time away from work.

"I am really, really happy they are getting this opportunity, especially my dad, because as the owner and sushi chef of that restaurant, he has never really had time to watch me skate," Nagasu said. "For him to close the restaurant, even for a week, to come watch me skate means the world to me."

That is lovely. I am so happy for her and her family.