2017 Philadelphia Summer Championships | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 Philadelphia Summer Championships

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I should note that the men's SP at Liberty is at 5:30am on a Saturday morning and I am not a morning person, so any...thoughts...I share will be likely very limited as I will still be half-asleep.

Although I have to say, when I first saw this, I thought, OMG! Did I misunderstand the schedule *that* badly and who is going to be at the rink at 5:30? Not me!:eeking:

*Then* I saw the poster:laugh: I'm afraid I won't be much help with the jump layout, but it sounds as though folks far more knowledgeable than I can give you that. I'll let you know about atmospherics;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm confused with the schedule, but 5:30 AM has got to be a typo! We plan to leave the house @ 10 AM today & watch the practices/competition through the evening.

We saw Max in practice yesterday. His music was Bring Him Home/One Day More from "Les Mis." Got to chat with him after the practice! :biggrin:

Sean Rabbitt was in a different practice group, and we got to see his "Tequila" short program! :hap10:

Looking forward to meeting up with other GS people today & tomorrow!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm confused with the schedule, but 5:30 AM has got to be a typo! We plan to leave the house @ 10 AM today & watch the practices/competition through the evening.

We saw Max in practice yesterday. His music was Bring Him Home/One Day More from "Les Mis." Got to chat with him after the practice! :biggrin:

Not a typo - it's what time it'll be here. And yes, I am actually going to do this. Because I'm an idiot.

Glad you got to chat with him! Isn't he just the sweetest?

concorde

Medalist
I thought Max looked the strongest by far in the men's warm up yesterday. I know there were alot of cheers for him when he landed a quad and he hot alot of them.

Max was super nice by agreeing to take photos with alot of the young girl skaters. My daughter and her friends got the benefit of his kindness.

Camden was in the 2nd warm up and he knocking out the triple axels. He is super nice and I see a super bright future for him.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone know if there have been any changes to the schedule? (I don't want to wake up at the wrong time and miss Max.)

concorde

Medalist
I believe I got this right. Max drew #8 for the short and #1 for the long.

Senior men have the short today from 3:35 until 5:15. Senior men have the long tomorrow evening from 6:40 until 8:45.

doublehelix

Spectator
I believe I got this right. Max drew #8 for the short and #1 for the long.

Senior men have the short today from 3:35 until 5:15. Senior men have the long tomorrow evening from 6:40 until 8:45.

No, they only drew for short. Max is the first skater in short.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reactions:

That is the most sensitivity I've seen Max display on the ice. I wasn't overjoyed with the music choice when I heard it, but it doesn't look cliche at all. The 4S looked great, and hearing of the 4T3T combo going well... I'm ready to see this.

Is Andrew Torgeshev going for a 4F? That first jump was popped, so I don't know if it's a 3F or 4F combo or if the combo is on the back end of what was intended to be a 4T. Not a good jumping run-through for him, but I like the program. The kid has flair to his skating.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I'm getting mildly concerned for Andrew. He popped himself out of contention at JWC and popped every one of his jumping passes here. I don't know if it's mental or technical but he may need to consider a coaching change if he can't fix it ASAP.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No, they only drew for short. Max is the first skater in short.

Full start order -- Senior Men (International) SP:

1 Max Aaron USA

2 Nicholas Vrdoljak CRO

3 Andrew Torgashev USA

4 Lincoln Yuen HKG

5 Alex Johnson USA

--------

6 Donovan Carrillo MEX

7 Sean Rabbitt USA

8 Yaroslav Paniot UKR

9 Vincent Zhou USA

10 Larry Loupolover AZE

-------------

11 Camden Pulkinen USA

12 Jordan Moeller USA

13 June Hyoung Lee KOR

14 Timothy Dolensky USA

15 Alex Krasnozhon USA​

Pacafla1

Rinkside
I'm getting mildly concerned for Andrew. He popped himself out of contention at JWC and popped every one of his jumping passes here. I don't know if it's mental or technical but he may need to consider a coaching change if he can't fix it ASAP.

I agree. Or Andrew can consider hiring a private coach, like Drew Meekins to Vincent, to plan, oversee and onsite coach his training. It works for Vincent very well so far, but it may cost a lot extra $$...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Andrew is coached by his parents. I don't think he will leave them for good, but getting some outside help from a jump coach would certainly not be a bad idea. The rest of his skating is fantastic, so his parents deserve credit for that.

That said, it's just a practice video and it's just a summer competition. Nothing to freak out about yet.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not crazy worried about Andrew just yet. With very few exceptions, skaters have been using these early comps more as program run-throughs than anything else.

Vincent's program is a notable exception, I concede.

But, as you note, we don't want this to be a pattern with Andrew, either.

I'm kinda hoping Max comes out first in the SP and throws down an unbelievable, mid-season form program with a 4 and a 4-3, just to shake up the boards.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:bed:

*sleepy mumble* I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot...

It hasn't started yet, has it? only saw that Max was skating first after I woke up just now. But there is a man skating.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
:bed:

*sleepy mumble* I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot, I'm an idiot...

It hasn't started yet, has it? only saw that Max was skating first after I woke up just now. But there is a man skating.

Non-international Senior Men's SP just concluded.

And Zamboni just came out a minute ago.

International Senior Men will start thereafter.

Go, Max :yay:.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Non-international Senior Men's SP just concluded.

And Zamboni just came out a minute ago.

International Senior Men will start thereafter.

Go, Max :yay:.

Thanks, ice coverage! Enjoy! GO, MAX! :yay:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
MAX UP FIRST
He's in the Black Swan costume. Bring Him Home/One Day More.

4T fall, 4S, 3A, spin improvement from Nationals has stayed, and this is so gorgeously beautiful and I'm not crying what are you talking about