Alena Kostornaia | Page 148 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Maybe she can look to Nathan Chen for inspiration.

You mean the same Nathan Chen that left public school after 9th grade and turned to online schooling in order to make everything work since he concentrated more on his skating? Should Alyona also leave her school then? :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/yoek2K4A6wQ
Daniil watching Alyona skate. One can say whatever they want about that team, but watching them you can tell how worried he is up until she finished.
Even at the stsq, which is a pretty easy element for a skater like Aliona, Daniil was constantly nodding through every step, saying “good”, “good”. You can tell the level of attention to details in their team is top notch, and it’s so heart warming to see them so nervous for their girls.

He is the most emotional involved, for Alyona conveys all his artistry, ideas and emotions he put into the staging. Every detail will be talked over, not only with Alyona herself, for a lot of responsibility is delegated to the skaters themselves, but of course also with Eteri Georgiyevna. Perhaps there will be a TV feature on Alyona again, because I think to remember a lot of the small details and embellishments are left to Alyona to fill in herself.

So the skating will be adjusted to fit the flow of the elements over both parts of the program, the 'empty' sliding will be filled with transitions and dance once the entries to and exits from the triksels and combinations/cascades are secure and comfortable for Alyona, all the while maxing out scoring potential. Even within the limits of maximum TES a smart team will find the ideal distribution for Alyona, so we will see small and perhaps larger changes over the season. Come Nationals, everything should've been worked out.

In any case, she seems to have overcome the psychological barrier of skating full speed to the boards, only evading at the precise (and final) moment to turn away into these superb Axels, esp. the first one in combination which we were fortunate to have in full frame by ice right camera. Just imagine how it will look with those low camera's that are behind those notches in the corners? Cosmic probably ... ;-)

Seruleane

Final Flight
You mean the same Nathan Chen that left public school after 9th grade and turned to online schooling in order to make everything work since he concentrated more on his skating? Should Alyona also leave her school then? :)

Well, my point is that she can have her figure skating career (and plan for Worlds, Olympics) and still pursue higher education later. It’s not like it has to be either or, though of course right now, I get that she is focusing on one and not the other. She should still be thinking long term though. Life is long, and her figure skating career while important will only be one part of that. Also, Aliona seems very smart. Most likely, she will do many great things in her life, not just be a figure skater ;)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Was that tweet genuine? If Alyona was asked a question like this, it would have been in one of her interviews from today?

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Well, my point is that she can have her figure skating career (and plan for Worlds, Olympics) and still pursue higher education later. It’s not like it has to be either or, though of course right now, I get that she is focusing on one and not the other. She should still be thinking long term though. Life is long, and her figure skating career while important will only be one part of that.

Thing is that unlike Nathan that has taken maths, Roman art and anthropology, and is only thinking about a career connected with medicine (from an interview: "he’s just putting this out there into the universe — he could one day work in data analysis for the NBA."), Alyona wanted to be a neurosurgeon, and for that she'd have to concentrate on certain subjects early on (actually, she's already late - she's in 10th grade now) if she wanted to go to any reputed Russian med school. So that particular dream is over, most probably; of course, doesn't mean she can't and won't go for something else related to that dream.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Aside from the bent picking toe and slight wrap (hope her team can fix these), literal perfection! I know she said she was training 4S in the interview, but her 3T is super high in the combo.... could be a potential next jump?

I have another nitpick - her hooked-hand (on jump takeoff) are back. Ahhh I thought it was gone as I didn't see it in the SP.
Don't murder me, guys. :scard8: It's just a nitpick that I first noticed almost 2 years ago in her Adios Nonino program. That darn sand-scooping right hand. :p

On the 3Axel.... that side-to-side swishing move she did before taking off into 3A-2T (sorry I don't know the terminology lol).... isn't that a more difficult entry than an Ina Bauer into 2A in the SP?

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have another nitpick - her hooked-hand (on jump takeoff) are back. Ahhh I thought it was gone as I didn't see it in the SP.
Don't murder me, guys. :scard8: It's just a nitpick that I first noticed almost 2 years ago in her Adios Nonino program. That darn sand-scooping right hand. :p

On the 3Axel.... that side-to-side swishing move she did before taking off into 3A-2T (sorry I don't know the terminology lol).... isn't that a more difficult entry than an Ina Bauer into 2A in the SP?

I t h I n k it's a bracket and I love that entry ... Maybe someone can confirm?

Decoder

On the Ice
Well, my point is that she can have her figure skating career (and plan for Worlds, Olympics) and still pursue higher education later. It’s not like it has to be either or, though of course right now, I get that she is focusing on one and not the other. She should still be thinking long term though. Life is long, and her figure skating career while important will only be one part of that. Also, Aliona seems very smart. Most likely, she will do many great things in her life, not just be a figure skater ;)

I don't know if people's mindsets about college education are the same in the two countries. Yes, in US life/working experiences are valued very much, particularly when you apply for graduate studies in some majors. Maybe in Russia kids complete high school + college education without interruption?

Seruleane

Final Flight
I don't know if people's mindsets about college education are the same in the two countries. Yes, in US life/working experiences are valued very much, particularly when you apply for graduate studies in some majors. Maybe in Russia kids complete high school + college education without interruption?

Unfortunately, you may be right. It is doable in the US to complete college education in something completely non-medical (music for instance) and do a post-baccalaureate in pre-med courses then apply to medical school. I would hope the Russia colleges/med schools would make an exception for Kostornaya given her figure skating career, but maybe not.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
You underestimated Alyona Kostornaya in vain: with triple Axels she is stronger than Trusova and Zagitova

Perhaps the new favorite of the season.

Before her first senior season, Alyona Kostornaya seemed the most inconspicuous skater in the team of Tutberidze.

A logical status when you are in the shadow of the titles and popularity of Alina Zagitova, the ultra-jumps of Aleksandra Trusova or the sonorous victory of Anna Shcherbakova in the senior championship of Russia. Yes, and after a season that was cut short due to a strange injury.

But the usually quiet Finlandia Trophy Challenger event knocked over pre-season alignments.

Kostornaya won here even too defiantly - with the fourth highest score in history, finally embedded in her free program triple Axels and technical base good for 70 points. Only are those of Trusova and Shcherbakova are higher.

Kostornaya has been sharpening her triple Axel for two years - since the summer of 2017. Back when she just got over to Eteri and was looking for development after becoming 16th in the junior championship of Russia.

“I will definitely not be the first, but mastering the triple Axel will become the realisation that you are doing something others aren't. It’s still nice”, Alyona said a year ago after winning the Junior Grand Prix Final.

Finlandia Trophy is the first tournament where Kostornaya tried this jump with 3.5 turns. Now she is the 10th skater in history who performed it cleanly.

In general, the Finnish audience were incredibly lucky: in the world only 4 skaters 'own' a triple Axel - and two of them entered this secondary tournament in Espoo.

The second - Yelizaveta Tuktamysheva - irreparably lost to Kostornaya by a lot (about 18 points in the free program alone) - a gap that cannot be compensated by anything but mistakes of others. Even clean Axels did not save her: the judges again (like in the SP) did not like the edge on the Flip - the jump which Lisa had been avoiding for a long time (and now it is clear why).

Kostornaya's two Axels, only the first one was fully rotated - in a cascade with a double Toeloop. On the other she had a small under rotation, taking away 1.6 points - a signal that the jump has not yet been polished and may malfunction.

“I won't say this is my weapon, because it is the same element that someone else can learn. But I can't stand myself not doing it”, Alyona admitted right after the victory in Finland.

But it doesn’t matter - even with unstable triples Kostornaya turns into a skater who is capable of much on a good day.

Kostornaya - the new Karolina Kostner: figure skatings long awaited goddess of components (link to a good read)

Here are just some serious arguments:

• 234.84 - Alena’s sum for Finlandia Trophy, only 3.85 points from Trusova's world record, achieved in the Nepela Memorial.

Yes, in Bratislava, Sasha did not do 4, but 3 quadruple jumps and she definitely will add one, but Alyona also has a powerful reserve.

• This is the triple Axel in the short program - the next logical step for Kostornaya's upgrade. At the moment the risks of its implementation are assessed by the Tutberidze team as higher than its possible profit, but 5 extra points to the total amount is a temptation cannot resist.

This is where Alyona’s potential advantage over Trusova and Shcherbakova is hidden - a triple Axel in the short program is allowed, and quadruples are not.

• component skating - Alyona does not need to increase her second mark or just wait for them to grow on their own (and they will certainly grow).

Already in Finland, her skating was rewarded extremely high for a debutant (71.68 points) - this season only Yevgeniya Medvyedeva in Canada and Alina Zagitova in Japan received more.

Alina, for example, only at the 2018 Europeans earned components above 70 points for the first time - in the sixth senior tournament she won.

But (and this, perhaps, is the main thing) Kostornaya is most deserving of such scores - to understand this, it isn't even necessary to understand figure skating.

Just watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFhQUl_uPls

• fantastic stability - in two years Alena failed only 4 times in jumping: a Rittberger in the 2017 Italy JGP stage; a Flip and Axel - at Czech Republic's 2018 JPG stage and Lutz at the 2018 Junior World Championships.

And almost a hundred - (were landed) cleanly and with good scores.

• high performance bonuses - judges love Alyona and like her serious GOE's: 17.36 - Finlandia Trophy; 15.14 - in the Grand Prix finals.

Those figures might mean little in themselves, but better believe this: when Alyona does an element, it is impossible to complain about it.

Ahead of Alyona Kostornaya are the Grand Prix stages in France and Japan - where she will skate alongside Zagitova.

You'll definitely don't want to miss this?
-----
From: https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/allresp/2603854.html

Timo T

Rinkside
https://youtu.be/yoek2K4A6wQ
Daniil watching Alyona skate.

A Russian viewer commenting behind the scenes (since Aliona landed the first 3A+2T): "Oh!... You can breath out, ladies and gentleman. It was unreally cool! The second one... YES!! Oooh, how cool it is, my God! It's unbelievable... I'm gonna cry... I'm shivering... It's unbelievable... Unbelievable... Thank you for these moments!" :laugh: