Mirai Nagasu is doing an AMA on Reddit! | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu is doing an AMA on Reddit!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Don't know how to link to specific comments but here are the things I found notable:

Mirai says that the hardest part about being an elite child skater was going through puberty in public
She was asked if she ever wanted to quit skating and she said yes, after not being selected for 2014
She plans on continuing skating after this season
She has not seen Yuri On Ice (lol)
Favorite place to skate is Japan
Sometimes wears butt pads to prevent injuries when training - safety first!
The biggest hurdle she overcame to get to where is she is now is her own doubts
She's a Gryffindor
Thinks great calves are a necessity for skating (for jumping)
In response to "Do you feel like tech callers are unfairly harder on under-rotations as opposed to pre-rotations?" "Yes and No"
2A is her favorite jump
Thinks she is in better shape now than in 2014
Most memorabe competition experience was 2010 Olympics

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
She is great at this :laugh:

About adding quads: "If I can compete with the pole harness when I go for the quad, I'll consider it."

brightphoton

Medalist
Don't know how to link to specific comments but here are the things I found notable:

Mirai says that the hardest part about being an elite child skater was going through puberty in public

well actually, she said the hardest part was making mistakes in the public eye.

But puberty was probably really hard too :agree:

Overall it was a good AMA

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mirai is awesome :bow:.

Her original live AMA started at 1 pm ET, and she answered questions then for at least an hour and 45 minutes.

She later has come back at least twice to give additional answers -- most recently within the last few minutes.

(Hubbell/Donohue also were great about coming back to give additional answers.)

As solar said, Mirai originally did give an answer mentioning puberty.

I can't find it now, so perhaps she later edited. (If she did, absolutely fine by me.)

Davis/White originally were supposed to have an AMA today -- the final installment of the USOC's pre-PyeongChang series of AMAs.

I hope all is well with D/W.
Meanwhile, cool that Mirai is filling their shoes in this instance :cool:.

brightphoton

Medalist
If you only want to read Mirai's answers, and not the hundreds of randos asking her questions, you can go to this link. There's also some of her more "non-frontpage" answers.
https://www.reddit.com/user/mirai_nagasuskates/comments/

Click the "context" button to see the question that prompted her answer.

I like how someone tried to bait her into answering a question about the Sochi result but she didn't fall for it. :)

Mirai didn't discuss Yuna's silver medal, but she does talk about her thoughts about doping and the doping situation at Sochi.

We type in our hourly schedule on a day to day basis, so they know where we are at all times. That's our 24 hour schedule. They also regularly surprise test us and it's not always at the most convenient times. If we don't produce enough of a sample or it's not concentrated enough, then we are watched while we produce more. It's our responsibility to regularly update USADA and to make sure we know what we're putting into our body, which can sometimes be quite a hassle. However, it's important to me that all athletes compete clean and I respect and abide by the system that's in place because it's a privilege to represent Team USA.

But yes, I can understand the dedication it takes from not just the athlete, but the support it requires from the entire family.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._mirai_nagasu_i_won_the_us/dr7xx2b/?context=3

I just watched it and would definitely recommend seeing it if you haven't already. I think it's insane that what started off as a documentary to see how doping could help an athlete ultimately ended in Rodchenkov in the Witness Protection Program. I also cannot wrap my head around the fact that there was such an elaborate plan at the Sochi Olympics and that they were able to pull it off.

At the end of the day, my responsibility is to myself and I can only control what I'm ingesting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._mirai_nagasu_i_won_the_us/dr7xx2b/?context=3

And :drama: :slink: she has to answer the inevitable "hey u r asian that's not real american" questions.

No, I consider myself an Asian American. Growing up in the American school system, I have more knowledge on US history than of any Asian culture. As far as the potential dirty looks from others, I'm proud to represent the USA and there isn't anything they can do about it!
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._mirai_nagasu_i_won_the_us/dr7ybc4/?context=3

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
well actually, she said the hardest part was making mistakes in the public eye.

But puberty was probably really hard too :agree:

Overall it was a good AMA

Whoa, did I really get it that wrong? :laugh: I was going back and forth so maybe I missed some letters

EDIT: I read further down, maybe she did edit it :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think she was SUPER generous in the time she gave to this AMA. Like ice coverage said she spent almost 2 hours initially and has come back to answer more which is almost unheard of... AMAs are almost always abandoned once the people giving them have spent their initial chunk of time. I also feel like she did try to answer almost all legit, non duplicative, thought out questions from people who were obviously actual fans which given how many questions she got really is saying something. I also appreciated how she skipped over all the questions that were either intentionally or unintentionally bait.

Unsurprisingly given what we know of her her answers were to the point and witty. I actually think this was one of the best AMAs I've read and certainly one of the best by an athlete.

She answered some of my questions too :hap93: even though I posted them 6 hours after the AMA started so I really do appreciate that she came back.