2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 US Men's Oly/World/4CC team announced

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I think that is why there is a vote, not a score comparison. From what I have heard from the interview the vote was 11-1. Hard to tell from the interview what exactly the vote was about, but apparently they agreed upon the final 3 who have taken the Olympic spots.

May I ask you regarding where I can find one and in interview with whom?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Adam didn't only get in because of that. He skated well at Skate America and then did amazingly at Grand Prix France and should have placed 2nd there. Even if Jason hadn't been injured for NHK, there's no guarantee he would have skated well enough to make the GPF, he's never actually skated great at two Grand Prix events in one season. Both last season and this season, Adam for sure had better overall Grand Prix showings than what Jason has ever accomplished.

And yes I agree Jason at his best is better than Adam at his best, but Jason hasn't been able to deliver his best for quite some time now, whereas Adam did deliver his best at NHK this season and has been better at every single competition this season.

Since 2016 GPF wasn’t part of the criteria, it’s not really that important, but for the record: you’re right that there’s no guarantee how an uninjured Jason would have skated at NHK. But he would only have needed to place 5th to qualify. Prior to 2016, fifth was the lowest he had ever finished on the GP. Even if Adam had earned silver in France, Jason had a higher score at SA than Adam did at either event, so I’m pretty sure he would have qualified ahead of Adam on the tiebreaker. Don’t quote me on that as I haven’t read the rules recently.

As to whether Adam had better showings than Jason on the GP overall two years running...I’d agree on this year for sure. I don’t really think it’s fair to count NHK last year, because Jason was injured. But even if you do, you can’t dismiss the fact that an uninjured Adam scored 233 at the GPF, not much better than Jason did at NHK (218 if I recall). .

There’s no question Jason underperformed this season, both relative to Adam and relative to what he’s capable of. So I’m not arguing that Jason should have been sent to the Olympics over Adam! It’s just that you made some pretty strong statements I disagreed with.

One of the things that made Jason’s performance this season so difficult to take was that at the very end of last season (Worlds/WTT) he was skating brilliantly and earned some of the highest scores of his career (I think his FS PB is still from Skate America).

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except lenient judging is not always consistent thus actually creating controversies.....and IMO, judging should be equal no matter what event you're in. That's the integrity of any sport. You can't be inconsistent and lenient just to satisfy the public. That's not a sport. That's a circus show

I agree, they try but nationalism still gets in the way a lot and seems to have been at the root of the last few controversies.

Globetrotter

Medalist
That’s what I don’t understand; why go on and on about Jason v. Adam, when no one, not even Jason’s most ardent supporters, are arguing that *this year* Jason had a better year than Adam. He didn’t.

But to then engage in reviosionist history that Adam had a superior year to Jason *last year*, prior to Adam’s injury’s? Uh, I don’t think so, Tim....

And, this is just jumping off and not directly related to your post, I thought the point was that it was somehow OK to place Adam over Ross this year based on the fact that Adam had a better year than Jason, but not place Jason ahead of Ross, based on the fact that Adam had a better year than Jason. :confused:

I mean that just doesn’t even make any sense to write out?:scratch2:

Agree. Why is this now a Jason vs Adam discussion when the elephant is in the room - Ross was shoved and did not even get the courtesy of being first alternate?