Longevity in Pairs Skating? | Golden Skate

Longevity in Pairs Skating?

Alifyre

On the Ice
Hi Goldenskate folks! I'm kind of a newbie to following the pairs scene (like, I really only left my singles skating bubble and started watching pairs at the 2017/18 GPF) and I have a question. So I was observing this season that people are totally wowed by Carolina Kostner being 31 in singles, but it seemed less surprising to people that there were two women in their thirties who medaled at the Olympics in pairs. I also find it interesting that Valentina Marchei moved from women's singles into pairs sort of late in her career, at an age where many women's singles skaters retire. When I watch pairs skating, I find it very shocking that the women could continue to compete at top level into their thirties, as throw jumps seem to be much greater impact on the body than a normal jump would be. Moreover, it seems that pairs has the greatest potential for danger out of the disciplines, as ladies can be dropped from lift and twist elements. So why do we see more older women in pairs?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's actually more rare that we happen to have had older women in pairs this last Olympic quad.

Usually the discipline that sees skaters competing the longest (oldest) is ice dance.