Skaters who retired too early. | Golden Skate

Skaters who retired too early.

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Was there a skater that you though retired before they were able to show their true potentials?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha Proklova and Adien Pitkiev come to mind :cry: :cry:

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
How about Yulia Lipnitskaya? I wish we were able to see a few more routines from her... At least shes happy now.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Yulia Lipnitskaya (duh)
Tara Lipinski (sort of? I don’t like her that much but she was really young when she retired)
Kanako Murakami

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm... Not sure why posters are mentioning skaters with injuries/illnesses?

The question was who retired before they were able to show their full potential. If retirement was caused by injury, their potential was still cut short :(

The question was who retired before they were able to show their full potential. If retirement was caused by injury, their potential was still cut short :(

Well I guess to me such skaters retired before hurting themselves further and are better off for it.

Giselle

Medalist
Zijun LI
Neil Brown
Tessa Hong
Elena Ilinykh
Nicole Orford and Asher Hill
Bryce Davison

too many really...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to start off by looking at this from the other end of the spectrum:

Jenna McCorkell - Not just because she's my local skater. But, she was actually making a lot of progress on the international stage in what turned out to be her final years of competing.

Valentina Marchei - Just when she was becoming a regular podium contender at the Majors in Singles, she switches to Pairs. And then just when she was becoming a regular podium contender at the Majors in Pairs, she retires.

Getting back to the younger skaters:

Anna Ovcharova - Whilst I can totally understand her reasons for retiring, I still felt she had so much more to give. Yes, I am probably biased as I was her biggest fanboy, but I don't care!

Nikol Gosviani - I still have no idea why she quietly disappeared. But, if she had carried on, and got back to the form she was displaying a few years earlier when competing for Russia, I believe she could have put herself in prime position to become the heir to Carolina as Italian number 1.

Anna Dušková - This is a left-field choice, because she is very much still competing. (She will soon be coming back from injury). But, I am talking about her Singles career. At the same time as she and Martin were being so successful internationally in Junior Pairs, Anna had also become the obvious heir to Eliška Březinová as the Czech number 1 in Senior Ladies. In fact, you could argue that she was already the best Ladies skater in the Czech Republic, as Eliška was getting propped up. But alas, Anna (understandably) decided to concentrate on Pairs.

I'm... Not sure why posters are mentioning skaters with injuries/illnesses?

Yeah, it does seem a bit unfair doing that.

Are we counting pregnancy in this category? Because there are a few skaters I think could have achieved more had they not got in the family way.

CaroLiza_fan

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Well I guess to me such skaters retired before hurting themselves further and are better off for it.

Agreed. But still, can't help but wonder what could have been...

- - - Updated - - -

Are we counting pregnancy in this category? Because there are a few skaters I think could have achieved more had they not got in the family way.

CaroLiza_fan

I think that would certainly count. Who did you have in mind? :think:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Artur Gachinsky, the Russian Figure Skating Fed were such utter jerks to him, along with the media and crushed his spirit :( A very sad business.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Agreed. But still, can't help but wonder what could have been...

It's only human nature to wonder.

I think that would certainly count. Who did you have in mind? :think:

As well as the aforementioned Isabelle, the following came to my mind:

Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov - It may seem strange saying them given how much they achieved in their careers, but I do feel that they could have got a few more Major titles under their belts had they continued on / come back after starting their family. Especially since Aljona is no longer getting in the way.

The other is a young skater who I am not going to name because it is not general knowledge that this is why she disappeared without trace. I only found out by accident when I looked her up on Facebook to try to find out if she was still involved in skating and was just falling below our radar. And I was faced with lots of pictures of her with this small child! (At first I thought it was a younger sibling. But the age of the child and the timing of her disappearance definitely tie together).

CaroLiza_fan