Skaters who retired too early. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skaters who retired too early.

viennaskater

Medalist
Why has no one yet mentioned Oksana Baiul? Only 16, Olympic champion, and it looked like she couldn't wait to go professional!

Another one I was sad to see go was Shawn Sawyer from Canada.

And yeah Ilya Klimkin. So so different in style and refreshing to watch!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Has Valentina Marchei officially retired?

That's actually a good point. There was an announcement that she and Ondřej had split because he wanted to retire (see this thread). But, there has been no further announcements about her plans.

So, I was maybe a bit premature putting her in this thread.

But, I still say she had more to offer in Singles! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

DenissVFan

Medalist
That's actually a good point. There was an announcement that she and Ondřej had split because he wanted to retire (see this thread). But, there has been no further announcements about her plans.

So, I was maybe a bit premature putting her in this thread.

But, I still say she had more to offer in Singles! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

I knew about the split but I was wondering if there was any follow-up to it.

If she doesn't retire after all, she can find another partner OR maybe return to singles ;)

alithia

Final Flight
Marchei posted an instagram story saying she hopes to find someone at least at Hotarek's level and come back.

asingingwife

Rinkside
It would have been great to see Oksana, Tara and Sarah develop. I know Sarah tried but school and injury got thr best of her. But I also understand that Oksana probably needed the money and Tara's had serious hip injuries right?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Marchei posted an instagram story saying she hopes to find someone at least at Hotarek's level and come back.

Gosh do I hope so! She and Hotarek were an absolute highlight at the Olympics for me :biggrin:

esteticlove

Final Flight
Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov - It may seem strange saying them given how much they achieved in their careers, but I do feel that they could have got a few more Major titles under their belts had they continued on / come back after starting their family. Especially since Aljona is no longer getting in the way.

CaroLiza_fan

I absolutely agree with you. In 2016 when they came back, I think there was an interview in which Maxim said that it was difficult for them to keep up because there were a lot of other pairs with higher tech content than theirs. But still they won the Europeans in the same season. Honestly, I even think they would have had a chance for a medal at the Olympics this year if they were competing and injury-free. Aljona and Bruno didn't have the highest TES neither but they had high quality elements and therefore big GOEs. I say that Tatjana and Max had the potential to improve their elements and reach that level, it wasn't that far for them. And they also had such a special artistry that I don't see in pairs skating anymore, I am sure they could have elaborated in this department as well. :sad21:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I absolutely agree with you. In 2016 when they came back, I think there was an interview in which Maxim said that it was difficult for them to keep up because there were a lot of other pairs with higher tech content than theirs. But still they won the Europeans in the same season. Honestly, I even think they would have had a chance for a medal at the Olympics this year if they were competing and injury-free. Aljona and Bruno didn't have the highest TES neither but they had high quality elements and therefore big GOEs. I say that Tatjana and Max had the potential to improve their elements and reach that level, it wasn't that far for them. And they also had such a special artistry that I don't see in pairs skating anymore, I am sure they could have elaborated in this department as well. :sad21:

Potentially coming 2nd to Aliona/Bruno in the Olympics, or 3rd behind Sui/Han, too, would have been a letdown after gold in 2014, though.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Oksana Baiul apparently had horredndous conditions for skating back them in Odessa (there were blackouts and the skaters would have to resurface their own ice), but going pro at 16 ruined her. She had talent, but was not at her peak in 16 and then all her trouble took toll on her and she done some tragically messy performances.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yulia Lipnitskaya

I mean, I know she‘s happy now and thinking back she definitely made the right decision given everything she had to go through but I still can‘t help but feel sad sometimes. She was a performer and an artist and she always touched me. Her spins were mindblowing, the best in the business. I feel like she could have done more, explored more styles if it hadn‘t happened... well, like it did in the end. But she‘s coaching now and she‘s doing it with her entire heart so I‘m happy for her. :)

Nirti

Medalist
Probably :biggrin:

She retired at 34, for a single lady it's quite a record :)

But to be more in the theme of the thread, I had some hopes on french skater Yretha Silete, but she retired too early because of injuries...