GPF: Men's SP - Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

GPF: Men's SP - Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
chenf.jpg
With his jazzy "Caravan" routine and helped by a beauty of a quadruple flip, American Nathan Chen squeaked out a win over Japan's Shoma Uno in the 2018-19 Grand Prix Final Men's short program, impressing the fans from Vancouver, Canada.

Though classically dressed in black pants, white shirt and a grey vest, the outing wasn't classic Chen. The 2018 World champion struggled on his planned quadruple toe loop-triple toe loop combination when he fell out of the first jump. He still earned a season's best of 92.99 points for the effort.

"That was something I did not want to lose out on this time," he said of his strong levels, which edged out Uno, but were not as high earlier in the season. Chen earned level four grading and high grades of execution on all his spins and footwork.

More...

Share your thoughts on the Senior Men's SP at the 2018-19 Grand Prix Final!

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nathan and Shoma: Sigh, either of you could have buried the other here with a clean SP, but instead you both made errors to keep things close.

Michal: Pop on the 3T, but otherwise, pretty much what he's been delivering so far this season.

Junhwan: Lack of expressiveness keeps me at a bit of a distance from him, but he was the only clean performer here, and he should probably have been ahead of some of the people he's currently behind.

Sergei: Iffy.

Keegan: He just looked out of it here, and I don't even mean with the jumps (which weren't his best, but far from the worst this season); he looked slow, and wasn't selling the program with any of the gusto he normally does. I was wondering going into this if the Alaska earthquake was going to be weighing on his mind, and I'd say it might be -- in which case, totally understandable. Or maybe he was just nervous (also understandable).

jillredhand

Record Breaker
1. Keegan: good heavens, but his spins were miles and away the most impressive of the night. Jumps not totally there, but he held it together alright. But honestly, those spins were just unbelievable in person. Also I just love him so much he's so charming and I would die for him if he would just promise to russian split-3Lz over my dead body.

2. Nathan: I do not understand this scoring. But this program is charming A F and I love it.

3. Michal: I have been on a seesaw of caring/not caring about Michal's comeback all season, and let me tell you, I am on a big CARE CARE CARE swing right now. What a show!

4. Jun: I honestly did not know how many people were crazy about Jun until I heard the arena go nuts for him. He was very good. Liked him. Has nice qualities. Still don't understand the Jun Fever.

5. Voronov: Am on a down swing of hardcore ehhhh about Voronov's late career bloom. He was nice.

6. Shoma: Well, good heavens, seeing him live even with a jump error might be the ticket to getting me on the Shoma wagon. He was very magnetic to watch live, though I tended to think his programs boring when only streaming.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In this head to head of Nathan vs Shoma which I'm really enjoying BTW, I have some thoughts on their SPs

Nathan -I loooove the exuberance Nathan brings throughout the program. The style is uninhibited and slightly off-balance and he makes that work in his favor. Great musicality and commitment. The only time this drops is before going into his jumps. There's a blank bit before he jumps where it's all business.
There were moments in todays SP where Nathan's edges were not very clean or crisp. His blade seemed to jitter over the ice. --Could be an ice quality issue though.
This is a program that can be watched and re-watched...but I want a clean version so that I can archive it. ;) Next time.

Shoma - A certain amount of tension in the upper body is needed for this music and this suits Shoma very well. He has beautiful posture and leans into his edges in such a way that conveys a lot of power for such a small stature. My only quibble with the program is the part where the guitar music begins to build and Shoma is casually doing crossovers around the rink. At this point the music and the skating disengage. The step-sequence is a highlight and the over-all performance was commanding.

I still cannot really decide who should go ahead in the Power Rankings thread. Still a dead heat till tomorrow.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Warning beforehand: I am 1)a notorious uber-fangirl and 2)at the verge of just giving up rebuilding the house of cards that is my mental health, so my thoughts are not much of value. Here goes anyway:

- Keegan Messing: Jumps a bit wobbly but held on, and boy can he spin. Didn't realize at first (was trying to fix VPN and internet issues before Junhwan came up on the ice), but on second viewing he seemed somewhat disconnected. Maybe it was nerves or maybe it was the Alaska earthquake as Colonel Green there has suggested, I don't know. I'd rate it overall as above Rostelecom but below Nebelhorn.
- Michal Brezina: He continues to wow me, he's the true spirit of the uncle renaissance. The fire is still burning hot inside him.
- Sergei Voronov: Unfortunately failed to wow me this time, while not terrible he did not manage to show the spirit of the uncle renaissance. Brezina produced a flaming torch, he produced a lit match.
- Nathan Chen: I am warming up to the program and he is selling it better every outing, but all that's left to mind is that he lost the combo in a very awkward way.
- Uno Shoma: Something like the purple (or better, burgundy) velvet version of Nathan Chen's costume would be better than the eggplant outfit, but that's just my tastes. Anyway, messed up the 4F but somehow managed to sell half of the program to me, I think it's his step sequence and the energy that comes out of it.
- Junhwan: My fangirl heart is still unconvinced on the < for his 4S (the head and the heart are a different matter), but that aside I just cannot believe how wonderful he's doing this season so far. Clean with all the levels, and finally bit more deserving PCS. This is very much subjective and I am 100% biased, I know, but musicality is one of his best traits and he shows that with all his movements, why won't the judges acknowledge that... :eek:hwell: I don't know, it could be that his spark don't hold as much weight as it requires yet (him being young and all), if that's the case I'm confident that it'll come. I tend to feel artistry in an elemental way, and to me Junhwan is a breeze that makes you stop in your tracks and just feel how your hair billows and your cheeks pleasantly tingle. And a breeze just might be the first touches of a storm.

dobrevaria

Rinkside
Shoma : I just LOVE that program. One of the best SP this season. The step sequence is absolutely incredible. Even with the mistake on the 4F, he still is able to sell this program. Such intensity!
Nathan : His SP here seems better than at IDF. He seems faster. I like this program, it suits him, even if I've to admit I still prefer Nemesis (which will be forever iconic). A pity for the mistake on the combo.
Keegan - I don't know why it's like that, but these past few weeks, he seems a bit out of it imo. The spins are great, but the jumps are just not there.
Junhwan : I love him so much. He was not 100% perfect, but still delivered and he is clearly the future of men's skating for me. I root for him all the way!
Voronov : Not his best day.
Brezina : Good skate and performance! I've never seen Brezina like that so I've to admit I'm still a bit shocked. Hope a good performance in the FS as well!

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
That was not too great. At least the top 4 are all very close in scores, so the FS can be more interesting to watch. That Rika Kihira got just about the same TES score as Chen and Uno without quads (or rather attempts?) says a lot. The rest were about as expected.

Chen's SP is more interesting to watch with the good and inventive body movement and slightly more steps and turns than Uno whose endless crossovers make even 2,5 minutes seem very long indeed.

E

tokoyami

On the Ice
So......no one else thought it was ridiculous that Nathan got 44PCS and a 90+ score with a botched jumping pass and no combo? Or is that kind of overscoring only egregious when it happens to skaters from Japan?

century2009

On the Ice
So......no one else thought it was ridiculous that Nathan got 44PCS and a 90+ score with a botched jumping pass and no combo? Or is that kind of overscoring only egregious when it happens to skaters from Japan?

Yeah. It should be higher as that 1 mistake did not take away from his performance. He has really grown leaps and bounds and deserve higher marks.