2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

readernick

Medalist
I was so impressed by Rika's mental game this week. Last year, she was often perfect in practice but would fall/pop 3A in competition. But, at this competition she was far from perfect in practice but she fought through that LP even with her injured ankle. Go Rika! ( sidenote- I like this program and I was very sceptical the first time I saw it in the show this summer)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
If Rika can change her costumes:biggrin:, her PCS will increase 5 points instantly. Love Rika and her programs this year soooo much:love:

lzxnl

Final Flight
I was so impressed by Rika's mental game this week. Last year, she was often perfect in practice but would fall/pop 3A in competition. But, at this competition she was far from perfect in practice but she fought through that LP even with her injured ankle. Go Rika! ( sidenote- I like this program and I was very sceptical the first time I saw it in the show this summer)

It looks like she can jump better 3As than 3Lz's with her current injury, which suggests that when she recovers, her 3A should be fine this season. I'm looking forward to more clean programs!

Btw, I just realised that she's skating at the same GPs as Yuzuru, which means a lot fewer events to actively follow...I might just watch some of the others in my spare time.

enzet

On the Ice
Well done Rika!

Impressive performance in both programs and her LP is quite something indeed! Very beautiful and unique, can't wait to see it develop as the season progresses.

Shame on the judges though! There should have been a much wider gap between her and Medvedeva!
I'm not even surprised anymore, but still angry whenever this happens.:mad:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Mai was assigned to one of the CS competition (Lombadia?) but had to drop out because of her physical condition. I do recall that maybe two weeks ago or so her coach said that she's back on ice. And she has entered the regional competition (required) and will compete at Kinki region on Oct 3-6.

readernick

Medalist
Well done Rika!

Impressive performance in both programs and her LP is quite something indeed! Very beautiful and unique, can't wait to see it develop as the season progresses.

Shame on the judges though! There should have been a much wider gap between her and Medvedeva!
I'm not even surprised anymore, but still angry whenever this happens.:mad:

I don't know. Medvedeva also skated well. I like both programs and felt their PCS in the long should have been equal ( each have their own PCS categories were they are superior) but on the whole the actual difference in PCS was not that extreme and to expected with reputation judging. They both need to improve their performances of the lp and I am sure they both will as the season progesses.

The only judge who really scored them in an extremely biased way was the Russian judge who put Rika 10 points below Med in the free(How? ) by sinking Rika's scores and inflating Meds. The Japanese judge gave Rika really high scores but at least she/ he didn't try to sink Med's scores. National judging bias is real. ( but please don't take the hate out on the skaters themselves)

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Apart from Rika's overall amazing programs and her skating (WOW), I would like to compliment the music cuts of her LP. THIS is how you mash up multiple tracks into one cohesive program music! (looking at Alyona's free huhu).

enzet

On the Ice
I don't know. Medvedeva also skated well. I like both programs and felt their PCS in the long should have been equal ( each have their own PCS categories were they are superior) but on the whole the actual difference in PCS was not that extreme and to expected with reputation judging. They both need to improve their performances of the lp and I am sure they both will as the season progesses.

The only judge who really scored them in an extremely biased way was the Russian judge who put Rika 10 points below Med in the free(How? ) by sinking Rika's scores and inflating Meds. The Japanese judge gave Rika really high scores but at least she/ he didn't try to sink Med's scores. National judging bias is real. ( but please don't take the hate out on the skaters themselves)

Sure, Medvedeva skated very well too and kudos to her. But Rika has three 3As and a correct technique on all jumps, while Medvedeva only has a so so 2A and a flutz (I know she's working on correcting it but it is still far from a clean lutz. At least she's being called for it now, while in the past the judges pretended it was clean).
I just don't think that this was reflected enough in their respective scores.

I know Rika beat her on TES and while the difference in PCS doesn't not seem so big on the paper, it is still bigger than it should be IMHO (agree that especially in the LP they should have been more or less equal), and although we all know reputation judging and national bias exists, I don't think we should just accept it as that's the way it is without even raising an eyebrow.

As you said, 10 points lower for Rika in the free from a Russian judge? C'mon! I've just looked the judges up and indeed, that's the one that gave -3 for Kihira's 3Lz-2T-2L but +3 for Medvedeva's 3Lz-2T-2T etc.

That's what I'm objecting to. Not Medvedeva's fault of course, nothing new either, and nothing limited just to judges from certain countries.
It's omnipresent but still wrong!

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The only judge who really scored them in an extremely biased way was the Russian judge who put Rika 10 points below Med in the free(How? ) by sinking Rika's scores and inflating Meds. National judging bias is real.

I was joking to a friend that I’m willing to bet my paycheck that J3 is Russian. I haven’t checked yet, but I already know I’m right. The scores he gave Rika and Medvedeva were almost humorously off-the wall compared to what the other judges gave them. If I recall, none of his scores for Rika counted. ....Wait....or did they? They’re only seven judges vice the standard nine. Were the GOES the average of five judges or all seven? ......I’m going to check.

But despite that one judge trippin’ I actually thought the judging was fair enough. Medvedeva had a strong SP and Rika’s injury (no lutz, URs, and rough landings) and lackluster performance in both programs kept the competition closer than it would have been normally. I’m very happy, though, that she kept it together as she had no room for major errors. She also didn’t do anything crazy (No 4S attempt, no Euler series) because she knew she would win with what she had. That says a lot.

Edit: Just re-checked. GOES were the average of five judges.

believed

On the Ice
Apart from Rika's overall amazing programs and her skating (WOW), I would like to compliment the music cuts of her LP. THIS is how you mash up multiple tracks into one cohesive program music! (looking at Alyona's free huhu).
I’m really impressed by how well the cuts flow into each other and the way it created such a perfect program. I’m really really really in love with Rika’s free already, from the music to her jumps to the way she performs it!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Sure, Medvedeva skated very well too and kudos to her. But Rika has three 3As and a correct technique on all jumps, while Medvedeva only has a so so 2A and a flutz (I know she's working on correcting it but it is still far from a clean lutz. At least she's being called for it now, while in the past the judges pretended it was clean).
Of the 31 Lutzes Evgenia did throughout her whole career 19 got an edge or warning call according to skating scoresdotcom. That is more than half and more than most Flutzers. Many Flutzers (even some at ACI) never got their edge called so far, although they have 3 in their programs at every comp. Last season Evgenias edge got called at every competition except at Worlds (where no ones edge got called btw :))
That judges always call her Flutz as clean is just not true.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I just don't think that this was reflected enough in their respective scores.

I know Rika beat her on TES and while the difference in PCS doesn't not seem so big on the paper, it is still bigger than it should be IMHO (agree that especially in the LP they should have been more or less equal), and although we all know reputation judging and national bias exists, I don't think we should just accept it as that's the way it is without even raising an eyebrow.

As you said, 10 points lower for Rika in the free from a Russian judge? C'mon! I've just looked the judges up and indeed, that's the one that gave -3 for Kihira's 3Lz-2T-2L but +3 for Medvedeva's 3Lz-2T-2T etc.

That's what I'm objecting to. Not Medvedeva's fault of course, nothing new either, and nothing limited just to judges from certain countries.
It's omnipresent but still wrong!

The judging and blatant biases are perpetual issues. PCS judging has always been the big bug. Med beat Rika in every component. While I do find Med a naturally stronger performer and better transitions, I do not think she is stronger in SS and choreo. Especially not SS. She has improved but she is still muscling into her skates and not using the knees as well as Rika who has better flow and turning ease. Med is more laboured. The FS was especially telling. Rika’s SP was unusually lackluster, I would have marked the IN down more. But the FS was much better and should have been much closer considering the stronger SS.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Nice free skates from Nana and Chisato:clap: A clean skate for Nana. Unfortunately, she looks more and more like Mai (the results).

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Chisato really forced me to smile. :love: Good tournament for her and Nana. Unfortunately it was almost impossible to break into top three.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Of the 31 Lutzes Evgenia did throughout her whole career 19 got an edge or warning call according to skating scoresdotcom. That is more than half and more than most Flutzers. Many Flutzers (even some at ACI) never got their edge called so far, although they have 3 in their programs at every comp. Last season Evgenias edge got called at every competition except at Worlds (where no ones edge got called btw :))
That judges always call her Flutz as clean is just not true.

1st: i'm surprised that she attempted only 31 lutzes during her whole career. Even if we only count international competitions i think she did more lutzes. Since she took part to at least 32 competitions (juniors+seniors) and there are competitions where she attempted two or three lutzes.
2nd: I bet that most of those calls were ! and not "e" as it should be. And we saw that a "!" doesn't stop a judge to give her +3.
In seniors, i think she got an "e" only 5 times. Out of 23 international competitions (not counting Japan open), and more than 30 lutzes.
So sure she got called, but since the number of calls and "e" calls is so small i guess that people feel that she's never called or not enough.
3rd: I'm not sure that she gets more calls than most of flutzers. And i say flutzers, not those who have a flat edge.