2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Wow, looks like Miyahara is doing well at US Classic:luv17:
Yes!
Tiny Queen is back!! I love her short program! Also her 3T in the combo had some good height. Seems like that weird 3T training she did with Lambiel really worked :D her 2A also looked stronger, seems like her attempts at training a 3A did help her 2A quite a bit :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Yes!
Tiny Queen is back!! I love her short program! Also her 3T in the combo had some good height. Seems like that weird 3T training she did with Lambiel really worked :D her 2A also looked stronger, seems like her attempts at training a 3A did help her 2A quite a bit :)

She was amazing. As a lot of people said before, Satoko is a hard worker, she doesn't give up, and she manages to improve each year. That's what I love about her. Well done, Satoko!:luv17:

lusterfan

Final Flight
Given the Japanese ladies' reputation for princessy programs, it was interesting to see the more eclectic programs so far from Rika, Kaori, and Satoko!

Shame about the fall for Kaori, but WOW her skating skills are impressive. She was flying across the ice, and it seemed like the cameraman was struggling to catch up :laugh: Her edges are so deep and effortless, she just looks so much visibly smoother in glides compared to most other skaters I've watched so far. Interesting choice on the costume - while I admire her change in style, I hope the judges are here for it too. :pray:

I think one issue with Kaori trying to learn the 3A is that while her 2A is powerful and flies, it flies far rather than high (compared to Kostornaia's skyhigh 2A that's just begging to become a triple). She will need a little more height or rotation speed to bust out the 3 1/2 rotations unfortunately...

Satoko also unveiled an interesting remixy program...! Her non-jumps are as good as ever; I hope her move to Lee Barkell will add some more umph to her jumps though.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I like that Satoko is trying something new with the SP. It's good to see her go for a program with dramatic and powerful music.

Agree w/ lusterfan re: the move to Barkell. I also hope the move will help her put in a lot more power to the jumps. She has the Kristi Yamaguchi triple axel: 1/2 rotation short, not very high, but almost there. If Satoko were to get more height into her jumps, she might be able to do a quad, especially with how quickly she rotates.

I wish her good health and good training. I'd like to see the best of what she can do.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I like that Satoko is trying something new with the SP. It's good to see her go for a program with dramatic and powerful music.

Agree w/ lusterfan re: the move to Barkell. I also hope the move will help her put in a lot more power to the jumps. She has the Kristi Yamaguchi triple axel: 1/2 rotation short, not very high, but almost there. If Satoko were to get more height into her jumps, she might be able to do a quad, especially with how quickly she rotates.

I wish her good health and good training. I'd like to see the best of what she can do.

I wonder if Satoko can train her way to some Alysa Liu-esque triple axels and quads. They both rotate fast and barely lift off the ice (Alysa's quad today was initially called a triple haha ...). If Satoko can manage to lift off a little higher (and well, prerotate a bit) then I think she can possibly squeeze something out!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I wonder if Satoko can train her way to some Alysa Liu-esque triple axels and quads. They both rotate fast and barely lift off the ice (Alysa's quad today was initially called a triple haha ...). If Satoko can manage to lift off a little higher (and well, prerotate a bit) then I think she can possibly squeeze something out!

Lol, as every armchair YouTube skating show has mentioned, only the landing is called and not the takeoff.

Prerotation is needed isn't it? Even the men do that (I'm not saying Zhou level is ok, I'm just saying that it seems to be needed to eke out that extra rotation).

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight

I pray during every Miyahara takeoff that it'll be high enough to be fully around [emoji1317]

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Thrilled to see Tomoe finally have a good program. Please hold it together in the free.:pray:

Ted Barton very politely destroyed Tomoe in his commentary following her free program. Said she was making the same mistakes as last year, and has yet to find her fighting spirit.

Which is, of course, all true. But still...ouch!

Ayaka was on Japanese TV. She tells again the story on how she started to train the 3A.
https://twitter.com/tsubakindy/status/1167080357612507136?s=20

I caught this episode on the re-broadcast the other night.

We now know why she is so lacking in artistry...she absolutely hates everything other than jumps! Spins, step sequences, hand gestures, everything else! Never heard a figure skater that was so blunt about rejecting the artistic side of the sport.

tosca

On the Ice
Kaori had a much stronger free! And her dress is amazing. So upset that her PCS were ranked third in the SP but she was ranked first in the FS and deservedly so.

She lost so many points on her spins and step sequence. Also, weird that she isn’t doing a second Flip. Her lutz edge is better. Still “!” -ish.

She did mention in an interview how she had been working hard to get back into shape... she tends to start slow and this is a much better start than last year so I am hopeful.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Seriously, what is happening with all the japanese ladies this season?

I think this is usual for Kaori, she wasn't in shape during last year challengers too. She'll be ready for GPs.
As for Mako, I suppose her illness/injury is still having effects on her performances. I hope she'll have some time off to fully recover and comeback strong.

readernick

Medalist
Satoko was absolutely stunning in her free skate today. There were some definite UR issues but, honestly, who cares? No one is watching her for the jumps. Her interpretation ability is just amazing and the smoothness of her skating is striking. Just lovely, it was so close to perfection.

readernick

Medalist
Lol, as every armchair YouTube skating show has mentioned, only the landing is called and not the takeoff.

Prerotation is needed isn't it? Even the men do that (I'm not saying Zhou level is ok, I'm just saying that it seems to be needed to eke out that extra rotation).

The thing is that Satoko already pre-rotates her triples a lot. (People don’t mention it because they love her—I love her, too) and she still URs. Alysa Liu and Anna S. ( Trusova too on the 4LZ) do pre-rotate a lot but they get so much more height than Satoko is likely capable of. Quads and even the 3A aren’t likely in her future but her performance is just on a completely different level.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Satoko’s new FS is gorgeous, not her best skate but the potential for this to be her masterpiece is very high! Love the dress too.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Im really questioning whether I watched the same Shindlers list as judges on US classic... why did they only give it 68, that’s so low for what Satoko delivered :-(

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Satoko FS is just so beautiful! Excited to see her perform this to its full potential. It's just perfect and her interpretation and skating skills is through the roof. That ending pose :love::love::love: