Can Belbin-Agosto win worlds 2005? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Belbin-Agosto win worlds 2005?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I think they have a solid chance to win bronze and an outside chance to win silver, but gold - no, at least not this year. Do I think they are future World champions - yes! Perhaps in 2007.

I'm thinking 2007 as well. They will be helped out in part by the fact that there are some couples who have been around seemingly FOREVER who are surely going to call it quits after Torino. Tho it wouldn't surprise me if they still had to worry about Grushina & Goncharov.

Linny said:
I "get it" re N/K. There is something about their line that the judges like. I'm personally in awe of a lady who can have a child and then return to World Class athletic competition. Linny
Linny - You really don't think skating after becoming a mother should be considered in the scoring?

N&K will win in Moscow. There is no doubt. Even if D&S got rid of that horrendous music, and skated to something more sensible, they would not win. Imo, D&S are the best dance team but they killed themselves with that music.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
As everyone else has already said, I don't think they have a chance at gold. You stated you didn't want to talk about the judges holding Navka/Kostamorov up, but really, how can you not? It has been painfully obvious throughout the season that this is the new chosen couple - even when they were skating poorly at the beginning of the season - and I do mean poorly - they still ended up on top. At the GPF their dance had improved a lot, and I think it will certainly be enough for judges, already looking to put them in the top spot.

I think Belbin/Agosto actually have a good shot at the silver. Denkova/Staviski are clearly being sent some kind of message from the judges this year. They haven't been having a good season, even before the Europeans. I don't know that Grushina/Goncherov are really all that favoured either. It will be interesting to see what the judges do with them at Worlds. Chait/Sahknovsky seem to have spent their required time in the penalty box and are again on their way up, without any really noticeable improvement in their skills, unfortunately. However, I do think this team has a great chance at another bronze medal. Delobel and Schoenfelder - I love this team, but again, I don't think they are favoured by the international judges. And I adore Dubreuil and Lauzon (I am a Canadian) and love their programs this year, but I think the judges have decided with unfair finality that they will not rise much higher than sixth. I would love to see them fighting it out for bronze - and I do think they are a good enough team to be doing so, but fear they will not be, no matter what happens.

Jimena

Rinkside
You stated you didn't want to talk about the judges holding Navka/Kostamorov up, but really, how can you not? It has been painfully obvious throughout the season that this is the new chosen couple - even when they were skating poorly at the beginning of the season - and I do mean poorly - they still ended up on top.

To be fair, they did lose once in their first competition. But the Euro's FD win seems to be iffy, from what I've read (I haven't seen the program yet).

brad640

On the Ice
Linny said:
I "get it" re N/K. There is something about their line that the judges like. I'm personally in awe of a lady who can have a child and then return to World Class athletic competition.

chuckm said:
Personally, I don't see why "line"--physical attributes--count for more than performance.

It does seem that N/K are revered for their "line" whatever that means. I would think that "line" refers to the strength required to acheive beautiful positions and stretch. But, as chuck mentioned, it also seems to mean only the skaters' physical appearances. Comparing N/K to B/A, N/K are both very tall and lean skaters (sometimes referred to as "classically Russian" e.g. Urmanov) and B/A seem to have more athletic builds. Does this mean that B/A cannot acheive the same quality of line as N/K because of their genetic stature/build or can they work to equal N/K's "line."

Jhar55

Medalist
Would love to see them win but even with the new scoring system skating politicts are still the same, maybe 2nd or 3rd.

Jhar55 said:
Would love to see them win but even with the new scoring system skating politicts are still the same, maybe 2nd or 3rd.
Joe, the cynic does not think any non European can get gold in dance. It's a Euroean thing and it's greatness stems from pseudo Europeans Torvahl and Dean.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, and it's a European thing that if there is one North American team on or near the podium, another North American team has almost no chance of moving up significantly.

After Torino, one or more teams (especially those who medal) may choose to retire and not go on to Worlds. Many Canadians are hoping that Dubreuil / Lauzon will medal at 2006 Worlds, since it is being held in Canada. But since B/A can't compete in the Olympics, it's almost certain the judges will put them on the podium at 2006 Worlds. I just don't see ISU dance judges putting two NA teams on the podium.

Matt

On the Ice
Maybe....

Not to sound repetitive, but nobody is going to be N/K with Worlds in Moscow (somebody could ). I would still think that B/A have a good chance of medaling. With D/S suffering from poor performances, bad music, and bronchitis, they haven't been at the level that they were last year as a team, and IMHO, the door is slightly open (if she's well in time for Worlds at all). D/S (the French D/S :laugh: ) and C/S are both good, well-regarded teams, but I think B/A can certainly beat C/S and I'm pretty sure that they can be on top of D/S (which will be the battle for bronze, I think). I wouldn't say they could best the GrushGons to take silver, though

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t believe that B&A have any chance of winning gold in Moscow Worlds. They might win a medal, although I´m afraid that 4th place is more possible. I would feel extremely happy if they´ll medal there!!!