Mao Asada | Page 90 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Yeah. that performance was worthy of a 76+ score. Bu we know the judges had to leave points off in case of a possible mistake(s) made by their current #1.

As much as I prefer Mao over Yuna, I can't dispute the brilliance and superiority of Yuna's SP performance. I accept that Yuna deserved the higher PCS as well as all the GOEs except one: the GOE of her SpSq4 should not have been the same as that of Mao's (+2.0). That was just wrong. :think:

gotoschool

Medalist
As much as I prefer Mao over Yuna, I can't dispute the brilliance and superiority of Yuna's SP performance. I accept that Yuna deserved the higher PCS as well as all the GOEs except one: the GOE of her SpSq4 should not have been the same as that of Mao's (+2.0). That was just wrong. :think:

In the Vancouver SP, I think Mao should have won the freeskate for the following reasons. I agree that Mao's spiral sequence should have been higher than Yuna's. But I believe her step sequence was also more athletic, rhythmic, and fluid with one legged pirouettes and bounding leaps in sync with the carnivalesque music. To me, Mao is the consummate dancer and I think she creates the most picturesque positions and extensions. Mao's deep lean back in the fan spiral while holding her free leg high with no arm to support it, her cross grab Biellmann in which she lifts her right leg high behind her with her left arm and extends her right arm straight over the head while holding her hand up gracefully, and her arabesque spiral in which she lifts her leg high behind her back and lifts her head to smile directly at the audience instead of turning her head to the side are all examples of why I think Mao has the most beautiful, tasteful and graceful spiral sequences.

Mao's spins are also more impressive to me considering how low her free leg and lower torso is in the extended sit spin and how far she extends her arms out by holding her boots instead of her legs, and her tear-shaped Biellmann is more beautiful and flexible. I prefer Mao's balletic and artistic style through the jumps and all the other elements and her challenging the triple axel / double toe combo. Eurosport commentators at Worlds 2010 said that it was wrong that it was not worth more than the 3 Ltz / 3 T and that it should be changed, in addition to saying that Mao's score in the SP at Worlds of 68 was ridiculous and that the issue of Mao's underscoring should be addressed at the next ISU Congress. during her gala performance. This underscoring is consistent with her underscoring at the Vancouver Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNFBiuFl_G8

In my view, Mao is also more genuine in expression and more elegant. She also inspires and moves me more emotionally.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Yeah. that performance was worthy of a 76+ score. But we know the judges had to leave points off in case of a possible mistake(s) made by their current #1.

For me, I had Mao over Yuna in the short program (75.33 vs. 74.46 using todays scoring/excluding the SpSq), and then I had Yuna winning decisively in the free skate (144.00 vs. 138.63). At least for me, had Mao not singled the 3T, who knows how I would've gone. Lolol

And I agree with gotoschool. Mao's layback at the end of Chopin ALWAYS amazes me with its beauty. And her incredibly spirals (esp. the fan position). LOVE IT.

Last edited:

begin

Medalist

The spiral sequence was just never going to work out. Body line isn't quantifiable but speed and ice coverage are. I can understand Yuna getting her points but the entire system could only lend to ugly spirals. Blech.

For me, I had Mao over Yuna in the short program (75.33 vs. 74.46 using todays scoring/excluding the SpSq), and then I had Yuna winning decisively in the free skate (144.00 vs. 138.63). At least for me, had Mao not singled the 3T, who knows how I would've gone. Lolol

And I agree with gotoschool. Mao's layback at the end of Chopin ALWAYS amazes me with its beauty. And her incredibly spirals (esp. the fan position). LOVE IT.

..that's a little much. I don't think you remember Mao had some major BV deficits at the time.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The spiral sequence was just never going to work out. Body line isn't quantifiable but speed and ice coverage are. I can understand Yuna getting her points but the entire system could only lend to ugly spirals. Blech.

..that's a little much. I don't think you remember Mao had some major BV deficits at the time.

There's been a lot of base value changes since then. The values are certainly correct.

begin

Medalist
There's been a lot of base value changes since then. The values are certainly correct.

Well let's go down this rabbit hole properly (and anyone let me know if this is inappropriate for Mao's fanfest).
Assuming they're doing the same elements (Yuna allowed her 2A+3T), what would account for such a difference? I have Mao's BV +.2 points higher in the SP and even with Yuna scored more correctly (~75-6 instead of ~78), I wouldn't have had her behind Mao. The differences in jump quality at that point, while not as discrepant as the scores say, are still hard to argue against. Factor in current scrutiny at URs and it's home run for Yuna. As far as the technical panelists is considered, I think they were fair at the time.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Well let's go down this rabbit hole properly (and anyone let me know if this is inappropriate for Mao's fanfest).
Assuming they're doing the same elements (Yuna allowed her 2A+3T), what would account for such a difference? I have Mao's BV +.2 points higher in the SP and even with Yuna scored more correctly (~75-6 instead of ~78), I wouldn't have had her behind Mao. The differences in jump quality at that point, while not as discrepant as the scores say, are still hard to argue against. Factor in current scrutiny at URs and it's home run for Yuna. As far as the technical panelists is considered, I think they were fair at the time.

I think it's okay to discuss. It's still related to the topic.

My short program scores:

Yuna

3Lz+3T +2 GOE
3F +2 GOE
LSp4 +1 GOE
2A +2 GOE
FSSp4 +2 GOE
StSq3 +1 GOE
CCoSp3P4 +1 GOE
Total: 37.50

SS: 9.20
TR: 8.44
PE: 9.70
CC: 9.55
IN: 9.31
Total: 36.96 (I give a score to each criterion and then take the average)

Mao

3A+2T +1 GOE
3F +2 GOE
LSp4 +3 GOE
2A +2 GOE
FSSp4 +2 GOE
StSq3 +2 GOE
CCoSp3P4 +2 GOE
Total: 38.80

SS: 9.20
TR: 9.38
PE: 9.25
CC: 9.45
IN: 9.38
Total: 36.53

FREE SKATING SCORES

Yuna

3Lz+3T +2
3F +2
2A+2T+2Lo +2
FCoSp3P4 +1
ChSq (in place of SpSq) +2
2A+3T +2
3Sx +1
3Lzx +1
StSq3 +1
2Ax +2
FSSp4 +2
CCoSp3P4 +1
Total: 70.85

SS: 9.30
TR: 8.56
PE: 9.30
CC: 9.40
IN: 9.16
Total: 73.15

Mao

3A +1
3A+2T +1
3F+2Lo +1
FSSp4 +2
ChSq +2
3Lox +2
3F<+2Lo+2Lox –1
1Tx 0
2Ax +1
FCoSp2P4 +2
StSq4 +2
CCoSp3P4 +2
Total: 67.32

SS: 9.25
TR: 8.13
PE: 8.95
CC: 9.05
IN: 9.19
Total: 71.31

1. Yuna: 218.46
2. Mao: 213.96

Last edited:

begin

Medalist
^Are we still judging based on how they were skating back in 09-10? Those are wildly high PCS for both skaters.

My scores wouldn't be too different. I would disagree with a few of your GOE's for Mao (mostly the 3Fs) and the 3-combo deduction (if it was close to a << then, she would've been downgraded today).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^Are we still judging based on how they were skating back in 09-10? Those are wildly high PCS for both skaters.

My scores wouldn't be too different. I would disagree with a few of your GOE's for Mao (mostly the 3Fs) and the 3-combo deduction (if it was close to a << then, she would've been downgraded today).
I think with factoring from eight other judges those scores would come down a bit :biggrin: That's why one person scoring isn't ever a very reliable thing to go by. Hell....wasn't GOE unfactored back then too.

This isn't to discredit MAXSwag's scoring in any way. I actually applaud you for scoring the programs. It's just that multiple opinions that value varies aspects of skating are just as valid and would likely reflect differences of opinion and likely lower scores once all were accounted for. It's one of the most fair aspects we have left in scoring.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I think with factoring from eight other judges those scores would come down a bit :biggrin: That's why one person scoring isn't ever a very reliable thing to go by. Hell....wasn't GOE unfactored back then too.

This isn't to discredit MAXSwag's scoring in any way. I actually applaud you for scoring the programs. It's just that multiple opinions that value varies aspects of skating are just as valid and would likely reflect differences of opinion and likely lower scores once all were accounted for. It's one of the most fair aspects we have left in scoring.

Yes, this is using today's SOVs and "scoring trends" in terms of components. I scored these some months ago so... And yes, the other "judges" scores would give more of a consensus. :) This I just how I felt about the programs when I was scoring them at that time. As far as GOEs go, if the jump is < but looks nice/has no effect on the program, I still give positive GOEs because, for me, the skater I already getting punished with a BV reduction and if the jump LOOKS otherwise nice to me, I will still give some positives.

I merely posted my detailed scores to show begin how I reached those numbers I posted back. I anyone wants to score we can average ours and see a clearer result. Lol

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
I still don't get it why there is a large difference of points (5 points) between this program and the 1st in short program. (sorry for reminiscing the past)

Like several skaters had mentioned at that time, it will probably remain the mystery will never be solved. :p ;)

gotoschool

Medalist
Thank you so much for the link, gotoschool. I think that the performance was simply Perfect!! and look at her radiant smile in the end, is Priceless!

---------------------------------
Here is an interesting article that 10 Figure Skating champions before they were famous.
The article says that Mao Asada (2000), age 9 : She started as a ballerina but soon moved to Figure Skating at the age of 5.
Japanese Mao Asada was impressive on the ice already from the beginning.

Please enjoy. :yay:

Your welcome and thank you for the link to the website about great skaters when they were young.

gotoschool

Medalist
rosewood posted this link to a very emotional animation of Mao's life represented as a roller coaster ride, though the link below is only part of the animation. rosewood wrote that the animation is by popular flip-flop anime artist Tekken who was inspired by Mao's Sochi LP performance and that he was awarded a prize for his anime with Mao as a motif.

https://twitter.com/anipooh1/status/632431095783407616

The original post came from: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...her-beauty-is-her-biggest-weapon.95911/page-4 post number 120

mary01

Final Flight

I would also have Mao win the sp, she skated like a champion that night, technically and artistically i found her more impressive then kim, she did everything with such ease and joy, and every element was done so perfectly, making people forget that this was a fierce competition and just lets you enjoy the performance!

yhmafan

Medalist
rosewood posted this link to a very emotional animation of Mao's life represented as a roller coaster ride, though the link below is only part of the animation. rosewood wrote that the animation is by popular flip-flop anime artist Tekken who was inspired by Mao's Sochi LP performance and that he was awarded a prize for his anime with Mao as a motif.

The original post came from: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...her-beauty-is-her-biggest-weapon.95911/page-4 post number 120

What great combined. She is inspirational for many people indeed.

On another note : @gotoschool, Apparently I can’t send you a reply until you will clear some space. :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker

Beautiful and touching

KansaiPJ

On the Ice
I was lucky enough to be able to attend 2015 THE ICE, Mao Aada's off-season ice show this summer. I went to the Osaka show and to the Sendai show. I wanted to share my video blogs with the group.

Review of THE ICE OSAKA 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHwte68M0g

Review of THE ICE Sendai 2015. (I apologize in advance, and I hesitate to post this here as I barely mention Mao-chan the 2nd time; I wanted to say more about her, but I didn't want to repeat what I'd mentioned in the review for THE ICE Osaka, so I focused on other skaters this time. Nonetheless, as it is Mao Asada's show, some of you might find this interesting.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLujPPraDsE

:)

gotoschool

Medalist
What great combined. She is inspirational for many people indeed.

On another note : What great combined. She is inspirational for many people indeed.@gotoschool, Apparently I can’t send you a reply until you will clear some space. :biggrin:

Beautiful and touching

yhmafan and chapis, I am glad you were impressed with the cartoon tribute to Mao. I agree her story is so compelling and inspirational. I cleared out enough messages now, yhma fan. Sorry it was so full.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
I was lucky enough to be able to attend 2015 THE ICE, Mao Aada's off-season ice show this summer. I went to the Osaka show and to the Sendai show. I wanted to share my video blogs with the group.

Review of THE ICE OSAKA 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHHwte68M0g

Review of THE ICE Sendai 2015. (I apologize in advance, and I hesitate to post this here as I barely mention Mao-chan the 2nd time; I wanted to say more about her, but I didn't want to repeat what I'd mentioned in the review for THE ICE Osaka, so I focused on other skaters this time. Nonetheless, as it is Mao Asada's show, some of you might find this interesting.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLujPPraDsE

:)

Thank you for the review. Are you going to the Japan Open?