2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 143 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhjh811

On the Ice
Alina wasn't generally seen as one of the strongest and she wasn't the favorite at this point in time before Pyeongchang ;)
Anything is possible.

Yes, anything is possible, but look at her age now. It's a very different situation from the leadup into Pyeongchang, with so many technically superior and more consistent younger candidates. It's actually interesting that now a lot of skaters hit their peak at 16 and start regressing at 17-18. A decade ago, late teens-early 20s was considered the prime age range for figure skaters. :unsure:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Yes, anything is possible, but look at her age now. It's a very different situation from the leadup into Pyeongchang, with so many technically superior and more consistent younger candidates. It's actually interesting that now a lot of skaters hit their peak at 16 and start regressing at 17-18. A decade ago, late teens-early 20s was considered the prime age range for figure skaters. :unsure:

Then the only ones that would have a real chance at making the team for the Olys would be Kamila, Daria, Maya...As even Anna, Aliona and Sasha will be 17-18 then.

dhjh811

On the Ice
Then the only ones that would have a real chance at making the team for the Olys would be Kamila, Daria, Maya...As even Anna, Aliona and Sasha will be 17-18 then.

Well, that's been the cycle for a few years. Hopefully the new crop of talented skaters proves me wrong, I would love for there to be fierce competition from multiple skaters. 😃

Arbitrary

Medalist
Well, that's been the cycle for a few years. Hopefully the new crop of talented skaters proves me wrong, I would love for there to be fierce competition from multiple skaters. ��

My opinion the only those who manages to escape traumas will make the Oly Team

Decoder

On the Ice
There seem to be two types of FS training schools in Russia: the ones funded by the government (let's call them public schools) and the private ones. At the elite level, the majority are public schools, and the only private one (as far as I know) is the Plushenko Academy.

Although public schools have funding from the government, they are not flexible and don't actively search for additional fund from the outside world, partly due to the government policy and restriction? This is similar to the companies/enterprises controlled/owned by the government, and the system is inherited from the old Soviet Union.

Eteri's group is one of the successful public schools. A student in this type of school does not need to pay too much to get admitted (merit-based?) The overall cost for attending the school could be managed by some families, but still with some difficulties. Of course, the teachers' income is also limited, especially before a student achieves major success. They also have a simpler goal: produce champions.

On the other hand, somehow the Plushenko Academy has unlimited financial support and resources (as claimed by Plushenko himself many times - they have lots of money).

The co-existence of these schools has a loophole: a student from a public school can be transfered to a private school without any financial burden on the later. Now we see what is happening: top skaters are "transfered" out of Eteri group, they will receive better packages in the new group, and the new group will have huge gains. Does this remind you of what's happening in the business world as well: the initial stage of privatization and capitalism?

sports.ru had an article a while ago saying that the new minister of sports of Russia hinted that most sports should go private, I am not sure how that would develop.

(Russian fans correct me if I am wrong.)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
On the other hand, somehow the Plushenko Academy has unlimited financial support and resources (as claimed by Plushenko himself many times - they have lots of money).

The co-existence of these schools has a loophole: a student from a public school can be transfered to a private school without any financial burden on the later. Now we see what is happening: top skaters are "transfered" out of Eteri group, they will receive better packages in the new group, and the new group will have huge gains. Does this remind you of what's happening in the business world as well: the initial stage of privatization and capitalism?

You are really funny. Yes, Plushenko has money but he didn't steal or win it. He worked for it. As the most succesful skater ( check his wiki page), as one of the most popular skaters earned lots of money and after 2014 as a business man was also succesful with his wife. That money what he can use in the Academy is not unlimited..LOL! That is love, passion but business at the same time. Most of the students pay for the trainings thus Plushenko can give grants for the talented ones..Sima and Nastya were such students..I don't know how it works with Titova or the Sarnovsky brothers' case.
And you don't forget in the state funding schools the coaches receive everything, ice, the salary came from the state mostly ( maybe this is not true in this way, because I read Buyanova's act she became cheaper because of te crisis)but that is true a privat school's owner pays everything , the salaries of coaches, the renting, etc. and the renting of ice is not cheap!

Decoder

On the Ice
You are really funny. Yes, Plushenko has money but he didn't steal or win it. He worked for it. As the most succesful skater ( check his wiki page), as one of the most popular skaters earned lots of money and after 2014 as a business man was also succesful with his wife. That money what he can use in the Academy is not limited..LOL! That is love, passion but business at the same time. Most of the students pay for the trainings thus Plushenko can give grants for the talented ones..Sima and Nastya were such students..I don't know how it works with Titova or the Sarnovsky brothers' case.
And you don't forget in the state funding schools the coaches receive everything, ice, the salary came from the state mostly ( maybe this is not true in this way, because I read Buyanova's act she became cheaper because of te crisis)but that is true a privat school's owner pays everything , the salaries of coaches, the renting, etc. and the renting of ice is not cheap!

Yes, really funny - You missed the point.:noshake:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Any news about Sinitsina? Did the media forget about gubanova’s interview where she wonders how other skaters got so good? How about Frolova? I imagine the media isn’t interested in them at the moment so they might have a lot of privacy? Oh, how I wish I spoke Russian and could find out myself!

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Does this remind you of what's happening in the business world as well: the initial stage of privatization and capitalism?

What's happening with Khrustal'niy now is actually just a 'corporate raid' that was planned a while ago, with knowledge and support from some RusFed members.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
What's happening with Khrustal'niy now is actually just a 'corporate raid' that was planned a while ago, with knowledge and support from some RusFed members.

Known from the wild privatization of the 90s' in my country. Transfer everything profitable into the hands of private subjects, often through mysterious ways, whether it is favourable or not. Unfortunately we didn't stop it before it destroyed even the things that worked well.

Fried

Final Flight

If nothing helps at all, a conspiracy theory works.

ruga

Final Flight
Athletes are not assets or businesses and I don't see how Plushenko could have 'lured' them into his team if they felt satisfied with their coaches. Maybe it's possible, but I can't imagine that.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Known from the wild privatization of the 90s' in my country. Transfer everything profitable into the hands of private subjects, often through mysterious ways, whether it is favourable or not. Unfortunately we didn't stop it before it destroyed even the things that worked well.

this is very familiar this happened in my country, too.

Amei

Record Breaker
Athletes are not assets or businesses and I don't see how Plushenko could have 'lured' them into his team if they felt satisfied with their coaches. Maybe it's possible, but I can't imagine that.

Athletes are not assets or businesses, but their athletic career is a business/money making opportunity; so if Plushenko can give them guarantees of sponsorship deals or contracts for skating in shows then I can certainly see where even if they were satisfied with their current situation a skater might go to him. Plus, it gets widely talked about that Eteri or Sambo gets a good chunk of any extra-curricular contracts that her skaters do and from what got said about when Medvedeva went to Orser it doesn't seem to be the norm.

One thing that struck me that was consistent among Danill, Eteri and Plushenko's statements was the decision was made/action taken was 2 weeks ago, what happened about 2 weeks ago - the Junior Grand Prix was cancelled, now it wasn't publicly announced till the 20th that it was cancelled but I'm sure rumors started trickling in prior to then and the Russian Fed supposedly told people to prepare that they might just have domestic competitions. Perhaps Kostornaia realized that its starting to get serious that there would be no international season which means less exposure and potential to get sponsorship deals like Trusova's Adidas deal or Shcherbakova's Nike deal.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Athletes are not assets or businesses, but their athletic career is a business/money making opportunity; so if Plushenko can give them guarantees of sponsorship deals or contracts for skating in shows then I can certainly see where even if they were satisfied with their current situation a skater might go to him. Plus, it gets widely talked about that Eteri or Sambo gets a good chunk of any extra-curricular contracts that her skaters do and from what got said about when Medvedeva went to Orser it doesn't seem to be the norm.

One thing that struck me that was consistent among Danill, Eteri and Plushenko's statements was the decision was made/action taken was 2 weeks ago, what happened about 2 weeks ago - the Junior Grand Prix was cancelled, now it wasn't publicly announced till the 20th that it was cancelled but I'm sure rumors started trickling in prior to then and the Russian Fed supposedly told people to prepare that they might just have domestic competitions. Perhaps Kostornaia realized that its starting to get serious that there would be no international season which means less exposure and potential to get sponsorship deals like Trusova's Adidas deal or Shcherbakova's Nike deal.

Trusova has another one..she became an ambassador for aminoVITAL - sports nutrition brand produced by a Japanese company Ajinomoto, one of the Official Partners of Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020---from her Insta

Trusova has another one..she became an ambassador for aminoVITAL - sports nutrition brand...

:rock: Not only does it have all the amino acids that athletes need for peak performance (especially for Vegan athletes), but it tastes like marmalade!

Status
Not open for further replies.