2023-24 Russian Pairs Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Pairs Figure Skating

LadyB

Record Breaker
Interview with Fedor Klimov about Merenkova/Galimov, who are currently at the Junior Test Skates in Novogorsk.

Google translation:

“When you see the positive aspects of your work, it warms the soul.” Coach Fyodor Klimov about his junior pair Veronika Merenkova and Danil Galimov​

August 24, 2023
KlimovSavinKBig.jpg

Winners of the senior Russian championship, prize-winners of the Winter Spartakiad, a sports couple Veronika Merenkova and Danil Galimov will present new programs at the junior test skates in Novogorsk. The coach, Olympic champion in team competitions and silver medalist of the Sochi Olympics Fyodor Klimov spoke about the progress of the couple, new productions and the specifics of work in Sochi.

- We have been working with Veronika and Danil for several seasons. We are our coaching team: me, Dmitry Savin and choreographer Sofia Evdokimova. New programs for the guys were put by Sonya. Naturally, they improved everything together.

I like programs. If you roll them out, then, in general, it will be wonderful. Short (Come With Me Now - Kongos) - cheerful, groovy, free (Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of the Heart) - more "wide". Nika and Danil have grown in skill. The beginning of last season turned out to be somewhat crumpled, uncertain, they were shaking at all starts, because the very first competitions were the Junior Grand Prix of Russia.

The responsibility is great, but there was no experience, and at the beginning of the season they were not “enough”. They had a much better second half. Due to this, self-confidence appeared, we were able to move on, both in skating, and in elements, and in programs. The content will gradually become more complex. We come up with new supports, we try to raise all levels, we plan to complicate the jumps. We will now go to the rentals with verified content in order to show the programs, but we will continue the work.

The guys are good, get along with each other. It is clear that the partner must give confidence in a couple so that you can always rely on him. But Danil and Nika do not have a clear distribution of “roles”, they are a team. Cheerful, light-hearted. This is important. We try to reflect this in the programs. They get it, they get it.

KOM 8909

We train in Sochi. Most of the time at the Bolshoy skating rink. In the summer, when many skaters come to the training camp, we skate at the Iceberg training arena. Nika, by the way, is from Sochi. She came to pair skating from singles from coach Alexander Korelov. Danil from Kazan. We were looking for a partner, invited him.
In Sochi, of course, there are not as many people who want to go in for figure skating as in St. Petersburg, Moscow and other cities. The specificity of the southern region affects. Most often, parents who have moved from other places bring children to figure skating. In Sochi, there is no such flow of applicants from which one could choose those who are predisposed to figure skating. In this sense, we are a little more difficult.

COM 8788

Well, we must take into account the fact that figure skating in Sochi began to develop in 2015, after the 2014 Olympic Games. However, there are already first fruits. I mentioned Nick. And today it is impossible to say about Sochi that it is not a “figure-skating” city. We have 8 ice arenas, a school operates, there are coaches, competitions and various shows are constantly held. I think over time the popularity of figure skating will grow. There will be more applicants, which is good for us coaches.
What do I like about this profession? In short, I enjoy coaching. But the most important thing is to see the fruits of your work. When an athlete goes on the ice and shows at the right moment what he has been working on, performs with dignity and takes places, this is the biggest reward and gratitude. Everything is simple, as in any work: when there is a return, you see the positive aspects of your work - it warms the soul, - Fedor Klimov commented.

Olga ERMOLINA

Photo by Yulia KOMAROVA and Olga ERMOLINA

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Coach Pavel Slyusarenko told Match TV that Yulia Artemyeva and Aleksei Bryukhanov are planning to show a quad backspin on control skates

Cherub721

On the Ice
I saw T&M were missing from the list for test skates. Is there any news? Are they injured or taking the season off? The field is still incredibly strong (really looking forward to Kostornaya/Kunitsa!) but I will miss them.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I saw T&M were missing from the list for test skates. Is there any news? Are they injured or taking the season off? The field is still incredibly strong (really looking forward to Kostornaya/Kunitsa!) but I will miss them.
They haven't announced anything themselves but nobody in the Russian community believes that they continue. During Test Skates they will be skating in Averbukh's show.

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
Kostornaya-Kunitsa in the short program at the Moscow Championship

Oh no of all things a fall on the sbs jumps from her...
Their twists look good, the throws will be the bottleneck, I suppose, deciding about whether they will succeed.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Is there any update on Tarasova\Morozov? I was checking the declared entries so far for the Russian Cup and I don’t see their name listed for any stage yet. I’m getting a bit worried.

I enjoyed the Test Skates, lots of great skating. With only 12 qualifiers sone good Pairs will not make it to Nationals.

Mariiiiskate

Record Breaker
Is there any update on Tarasova\Morozov? I was checking the declared entries so far for the Russian Cup and I don’t see their name listed for any stage yet. I’m getting a bit worried.

I enjoyed the Test Skates, lots of great skating. With only 12 qualifiers sone good Pairs will not make it to Nationals.
Nothing official has been announced other that they are not training and have been doing shows since last season ended. I don't think they are planning on continuing their competitive careers at least not this season. They have competed in seniors for 10 seasons now, so it's not really that shocking if they were to retire.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Nothing official has been announced other that they are not training and have been doing shows since last season ended. I don't think they are planning on continuing their competitive careers at least not this season. They have competed in seniors for 10 seasons now, so it's not really that shocking if they were to retire.
Thank you @Mariiiiskate. When I was going through the JGP thread, I came across their debut in the JGP in Tallinn from 2013. I was surprised they‘ve been around that long and I’d been supporting them for 10yrs. I had just watched their Olympic short this morning so said I’d check when they are competing. Whatever happens they can look back on a great career.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Kostornaya-Kunitsa at the Denis Ten Memorial Gala (Astana, Kazakhstan). Collaborative number " Lebedi" ("Swans").