2010 Olympic U.S. figure skating team selection procedures | Golden Skate

2010 Olympic U.S. figure skating team selection procedures

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here are the 2010 Olympic Winter Games U.S. Figure Skating Athlete and Coach Selection Procedure documents which were revised earlier this year -- this link was originally posted on the USFS site in August: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?cat=2&id=2&sid=41771

The 37 page PDF document titled 2010 Olympic Winter Games U.S. Figure Skating Athlete Selection Procedures is dated June 10, 2008.
From page 4:
To field the most competitive team, U.S. Figure Skating's ICMS [International Committee Management Subcommittee] will take into consideration results from the events outlined below to determine athletes who will have the most performance impact at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. The ICMS, and the International Committee's approval process of the ICMS' recommendations, will take into consideration placement and competitive field at the following events in priority order:
a. 2010 U.S. Figure Skating Championships
b. 2009/10 ISU Senior Grand Prix Final
c. 2009 World Figure Skating Championships
d. 2009 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
e. 2009 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
f. 2009/10 ISU Junior Grand Prix Final

Excerpt from the section titled "Discretionary Selection (if applicable)" on page 6:
It has been the experience of U.S. Figure Skating that the athletes who have had success at the international and Olympic level are those who have demonstrated consistent performances as opposed to the athletes who have only a single great performance. Therefore, by not having the selection process based solely on one event, U.S. Figure Skating can select the best athletes to represent the United States at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games.

Thanks Sylvia. So it all depends on the USFS to make their selection, and not primarily a winner of US Nats.

It has been the experience of U.S. Figure Skating that the athletes who have had success at the international and Olympic level are those who have demonstrated consistent performances as opposed to the athletes who have only a single great performance.
I wonder what "experience" they are drawing on. I can't think of any time when the U.S. sent a one-shot wonder to the Olympics over a proven competitor, and that one-shot wonder bombed.

In 2006 we sent (after Kwan withdrew) U.S. #1, #2, and #3, and they got 2nd, 5th and 7th at the Olympics.

In 2002, Sarah Hughes beat Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya. Hughes was certainly more in the category of "one great skate" compared to Michelle's and Irina's "consitent performances in international competition."

Of the U.S. skaters, we sent #1, #2, and #3 at U.S. Nationals, and they all made the top four at the Olympics.

In 1998 we sent Michelle, Tara and Nicole. Tara won, Michelle was second, and although Nicole didn't fare so well she was certainly not sent because she had "a single great performance" at U.S. Nationals.

Has it ever happened that a one-shot wonder won U.S. nationals, went to the Olympics and performed terribly?

Maybe they are looking ahead to 2010 saying, *gasp* what if the U.S. podium is Alissa, Bebe and Katrina Hacker! (it could very well happen. :) )

Edited to add: By the way, a bye for injury is a different sort of thing. In that case the justification has been that, in the judgement of the USFSA's International Committee, the injured skater would have placed on the national podium if he/she had been physically able to compete (Kwan in 2006, Kerrigan in 1994.)

Last edited:

mightymofan

Rinkside
Todd Eldredge in 1992 and Jenni Meno and Todd Sand in 1998 have also received medical byes to the Olympics.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Has it ever happened that a one-shot wonder won U.S. nationals, went to the Olympics and performed terribly?

To be honest I think the least likely place you'll find something like that is in the ladies. The ladies field in the US has been pretty deep for a long time, with skaters not making the world team probably likely capabale of outperforming a large number of skaters in the world competition. I also don't think controversial decisions are likely made when you have three spots for the Olympics or worlds.

I think there would be far more likely to be "questionable" decisions in the Mens, Pairs and Dance where less spots have historically been available.

I thought there was some controversy involving olympic selection of the men in the past - involving Chris Bowman, but i might be mis-remembering. While he wasn't really a one-hit-wonder, more a wildly unpredictable skater - i suppose not unlike Bobek.

Ant

I think there would be far more likely to be "questionable" decisions in the Mens, Pairs and Dance where less spots have historically been available.

I thought there was some controversy involving olympic selection of the men in the past - involving Chris Bowman, but i might be mis-remembering. While he wasn't really a one-hit-wonder, more a wildly unpredictable skater - i suppose not unlike Bobek.Ant
Wasn't Mark Mitchell passed over for an Olys despite his bronze at US Nats?

It seems to me that the USFS has always selected the Olys team and not relied on National results.

momjudi

On the Ice
Mark Mitchell was passed over when Todd Eldredge missed Nationals due to an injury and Todd was picked to go in his place.

It seems to me that the USFS has always selected the Olys team and not relied on National results.
Oh, I don't think so at all. I can't think of a single time it ever happened, except for byes due to injury.

In fact, there have been several times that they sent the Nationals medalists leaving home skaters that were better bets. For instance, Hinzman and Parchem instead of previous year's champion Orsher and Lucash.

IIRC the USFSA always patted itself on the back for taking the moral high road, compared to other federations who played politics and favoritism in their selections.

The announcement this year of a change of procedure for 2010 shows that, for good or ill, they have rethought their position. I really do think it is because they are afraid of what might happen in a totally unpredictable ladies event at 2010 U.S. Nationals.

Alsace

On the Ice
In 2002, Sarah Hughes beat Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya. Hughes was certainly more in the category of "one great skate" compared to Michelle's and Irina's "consitent performances in international competition."

Well, in her defense, prior to that selection, she was twice junior worlds medalist and at least once senior worlds medalist. Yes, now, we talk about the Olympic performance being a "one great skate," but she was proven internationally before being named to the US Oly team.

Maybe they are looking ahead to 2010 saying, *gasp* what if the U.S. podium is Alissa, Bebe and Katrina Hacker! (it could very well happen. :) )

If it does, hopefully those three will better their track record before the 2010 nats. I do prefer the "high road" you mentioned in another post.

Here I agree with Joe, not Mathman, but the USFSA has just been rubber-stamping the results. I seem to recall ABC showing muted footage of the meeting room during the Todd Eldredge medical bye. In other years, the announcers would say something like "this is the podium, and we presume top 3 (or 2) will be named to the world team after the USFSA meeting that will occur immediately following this competition."

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they sent Marcy and Aaron to Torino because they placed second... Katie and Garrett had international experience but the USFSA didn't put them on the team instead... one of the few times I was disappointed in skaters because they didn't take the decision very well IMHO.

Nats 2009

I think the results in Cleveland will tell us how the USFS really feels about who to send to LA.

When one thinks about it, particularly the Ladies; where no one is a Lock on the podium, and some whippersnapper from the Sectionals like Joelle Forte gets a silver medal, will they not let her go to LA? I think they will not. The US has very talented Ladies-in-Waiting, What a prediction question!! unanswerable, imo.

Two locks for the Men. Will one cave in? and if so who will land on the podium? And then the Big Question. Will the USFS let him go. Presumiing Abbott is already a shoe-in. Where do Carriere, Rippon and Bradley stand? Picking 3 for LA is not easy.

I can't imagine McL/ Bru not going.

But Skate Dance? Bel/Ago, Sam/Bates. Davis/White , Nav/Bom and now The Hubbells! Will they choose 3 teams regadless of the results? I don't think they dare.

just food for thought with regard to selection procedures.

Predictions belong in the Events thread.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hughes was 3rd at nationals, though, so there was no 'controversial' decision.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mark Mitchell was passed over when Todd Eldredge missed Nationals due to an injury and Todd was picked to go in his place.

And didn't Todd totally bomb at the Olympics too?

Apropos of nothing....do the US have three spots at worlds in every event bar the ladies?

Ant

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No.
We only have two spots in pairs. AFAIR, I&B were 10th and C&O were 11th at Worlds last year.

momjudi

On the Ice

Apropos of nothing....do the US have three spots at worlds in every event bar the ladies?

Ant

I believe he fell on a double axel in the short program which pretty much eliminated his chance for a medal.

antmanb

Record Breaker
No.
We only have two spots in pairs. AFAIR, I&B were 10th and C&O were 11th at Worlds last year.

Thanks Doris - i suddenly wondered how strange it would be to have three spots in each event bar the ladies which historically have been the US's strnog point.

Ant

Even with 3 spots, the point was it is not predictable and the question is will the USFS send the two skaters of their own choosing? or will the top 2 finishers in Cleveland go whoever they are? To send or not to send, that is the question?

If the results turn up Nagasu and Forte, will the USFS ok this team?

This coming US Nationals will put the USFS on the spot if what it wants doesn't place high enough.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Ant

he was still suffering from his back injury IIRC... he and Kurt Browning both had less than stellar results...

funny thing was people complained (and still do) that it was PAUL who didn't deserve his place on the team... and he's the dude that came away with the silver... whatever. :p