146 Athletes Advance to the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

146 Athletes Advance to the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (Dec. 22, 2020) - U.S. Figure Skating today released the athletes who will compete at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships set for The Orleans Arena in Las Vegas from January 12-21.

Athletes qualified for the U.S. Championships by receiving byes, or qualifying through the U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series presented by Toyota. Announced in August as an alternative to U.S. Figure Skating’s traditional qualifying season, the 2021 U.S. Championship Series presented by Toyota was scheduled to begin the week of Nov. 9 in Norwood, Mass.; Blaine, Minn.; and Spokane, Wash. Due to COVID-19, the competition transitioned to a virtual format. Byes were awarded to senior athletes who placed in the top-five in the same event at the 2020 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships per the U.S. Figure Skating Rulebook, or finished in the top-four in U.S. Figure Skating’s International Selection Pool (ISP) Points Challenge.

A fill list of qualified athletes can be found here.

The 2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series presented by Toyota can be seen on Peacock Premium. Senior competition can be viewed starting Tuesday evening, and junior competition will be available the week of Dec. 28. Results can be found here.

The 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships can be seen on NBC, NBCSN and Peacock Premium. A full schedule is available here.

Weathergal

Medalist
I was looking over the lists and don't see Ilia Malinin anywhere. Is he injured or didn't he qualify for some reason?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
why is it so difficult to just congratulate these skaters who worked so hard and did the best they could
It's a joke. Very few people support the skaters more than I do. When I say half of them should be cut from the lineup until they can measure up to Russian levels of skating, in what world do you think I am being serious? Apparently most people around here are incapable of detecting humor though, since a mod already decided to delete the post and your reply. I guess I'll have to put a *humor* tag on any such posts in the future, and ruin the joke by explicitly stating it's meant to be facetious and not literal.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So great to see these lists and that USFS is doing what they can to qualify skaters and get them to Nats. From this old cranky fan, bravo!:clap:

and Jordan Moeller qualified fourth? And Dinh Tran third? I need to see these skates:pray:

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ilia Malinin did not compete in the Championship Series, and I have no idea why, but he was not among the competitors.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that I’m an old jaded New Yorker or anything, but with these being taped, what’s to stop someone from doing the program multiple times until it’s good?

sheetz

Record Breaker
Eric Sjoberg qualifying first has got to be one of the biggest surprises of this event. I think his FS score of 159.03 puts him in 5th this season for US men behind Nathan, Vincent, Jason, and Tomoki. This after finishing 14th at the 2019 JGP Russia.

HB Spud

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Not that I’m an old jaded New Yorker or anything, but with these being taped, what’s to stop someone from doing the program multiple times until it’s good?
Skates were officially scheduled and Official USFS proctor was assigned and present to time-stamp the start on camera, observe each skate, and immediately submit coach, skater and proctor affidavits. If it weren't so tightly organized and executed as it were then I'd expect you would have found a lot of clean performances :clap:

Weathergal

Medalist
Same question here...I expected him to be here after his success at SA.

Ilia Malinin did not compete in the Championship Series, and I have no idea why, but he was not among the competitors.

SylviaUnseen said on Twitter that as Ilia did not have a bye, he must have withdrawn or not submitted a video. But we don't know why:

Thanks everyone for the info. I hope all is well with him!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently most people around here are incapable of detecting humor though, since a mod already decided to delete the post and your reply.

Damn straight it was removed. Stating that skaters should be put in "internment camps" because they don't measure up to the Russian ladies is not funny. At all. It was offensive, tasteless, and inconsiderate given what Japanese-Americans went through. There was no humor in that at all.

Weathergal

Medalist
Just saw a tweet from TSL. Apparently Malinin had a foot injury and couldn't participate in the qualifying competition but has since recovered.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watch links are now live. The kitties and I are preparing to watch our Gracie. And it looks like Andrew Austin did not submit a video.
Wow...can’t they clear the ice for literally 4.5 minutes so these ladies can skate? Caroline Harris, the lady right before Gracie looked like she had an entire LTS class weaving around her.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that I do understand why this had to be done this way. But I hope USFS doesn’t get a wild hair and decide this method is easier/cheaper because I HATE it. No emotion. Music sometimes difficult to hear and random skaters skating all around and through the long program. (I do know the skaters are used to that but as a spectator who plunks down money to watch this stuff on Peacock it was VERY distracting - hey, there’s a guy that looks like he might be my age practicing his single jumps and he has a mask on! Way to go! Oh yeah this is supposed to be someone’s long program).

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that I do understand why this had to be done this way. But I hope USFS doesn’t get a wild hair and decide this method is easier/cheaper because I HATE it. No emotion. Music sometimes difficult to hear and random skaters skating all around and through the long program. (I do know the skaters are used to that but as a spectator who plunks down money to watch this stuff on Peacock it was VERY distracting - hey, there’s a guy that looks like he might be my age practicing his single jumps and he has a mask on! Way to go! Oh yeah this is supposed to be someone’s long program).
I agree with you. 🤝

sworddance21

On the Ice
Watch links are now live. The kitties and I are preparing to watch our Gracie. And it looks like Andrew Austin did not submit a video.
Wow...can’t they clear the ice for literally 4.5 minutes so these ladies can skate? Caroline Harris, the lady right before Gracie looked like she had an entire LTS class weaving around her.
Where are the links?