2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While I wouldn't personally give Yulia's 2A +2 (mainly because, to me, what matters most about a jump is the jump itself, not the frills that come before or after), I would like to point out that her 2A looked stronger here than it was during the last two GPs. It has better flow, and just enough height to tick off the "effortless throughout" bullet (which I thought wasn't fulfilled on previous performances).

Noolan

On the Ice
Well that was a sad event. Pogo and Ashley almost crying, Radionova and Lipnitskaya making mistakes, even Liza wasn't at her best today. I'm happy for Rika though, she did her best :)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Rika was robbed. She should have been ahead of Anna.

I agree. I think Anna was overmarked a bit this time for what she put out there.

She's been on my ignore list for almost a year. You quoted her so I got to enjoy her misery again.

Same here. That person's on my ignore list too but every time someone quotes her..:rolleye:

If the top 3 on podium tomorrow are Liza, Yulia, and Elena I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I'm actually a bit confused about Yulia's lip. It seems somewhat similar to Polina's lip at CoC, in that for both, while they were bending down to spring for the jump they were on an outside edge, but (at least for Polina) at the point when the blade leaves the ice it seems pretty clear that it had changed to the inside edge (I posted about Polina's here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...or-FS-at-COC&p=1014659&viewfull=1#post1014659 ). It's not a good camera angle though so I can't really tell if Yulia had changed to inside edge at the moment of takeoff. Or technique-wise is it considered wrong to be on an outside edge when preparing for the flip even if you switch to inside edge at the moment of liftoff?

Yulia wasn't always in time with the music, I think that's the thing that I noticed the most.

EDIT: I take that back, I found another video where she was on the beat with the music, so it was just the version I was watching I think.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
This was such a joy to watch. Tuktamysheva was mightily impressive in real life, really drew me into her program, as did Lipnitskaia. I hope Luza gets to hold on to the top spot!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
It's amazing to watch Liza this season, even when the program isn't perfect. She puts so much feelings in the performances. I can't wait to see her FS again.

I'm sorry for Anna, she didn't seem very confident today. :no:

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
Yes.....if you look at all 8 bullets she easily satisfy's 3-4 or them. You don't need height to qualify for the other bullets.

It ain't the size of the ship.....it's the motion of the ocean.

:agree: Leave Julia alone people...she did not judge herself! I loved her skate, I thought she looked really free...not as tight as Elena (I do like Elena too). Just saying it the way I see it.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Does it bug anyone else that during Ashley's SP at 1:32 as the music reaches a crescendo she does nothing choreography wise to match the music?
I like the program but that just bugs me, it is a perfect opportunity to ad something like a falling leaf or split jump or something but there is really nothing, she is just skating along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa1unbsUDA

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched Radio, she is sellling it!, perhaps her best passion during GPs. unfortunate about the fall, maybe get little bit too high:biggrin:
and her musicality shines through this choreo (it is not easy;))

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Been following skating since 2006 (<--- see join date), and this has to be the most underwhelming GPF to date. I honestly don't care for any of the skaters, or for the outcome. :confused2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm actually a bit confused about Yulia's lip. It seems somewhat similar to Polina's lip at CoC, in that for both, while they were bending down to spring for the jump they were on an outside edge, but (at least for Polina) at the point when the blade leaves the ice it seems pretty clear that it had changed to the inside edge (I posted about Polina's here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...or-FS-at-COC&p=1014659&viewfull=1#post1014659 ). It's not a good camera angle though so I can't really tell if Yulia had changed to inside edge at the moment of takeoff. Or technique-wise is it considered wrong to be on an outside edge when preparing for the flip even if you switch to inside edge at the moment of liftoff?

Yulia wasn't always in time with the music, I think that's the thing that I noticed the most.

Here is a very LOWquality edit I did of Yulia's jumps today. Sorry but I'm not good at loading videos and keeping good quality when I download them from such low resolution(All I could find was 360). Her lutz looks fine on my editor. Actually perfect but the Flip is questionable. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't just a ! but feel free to decide for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkc1txKC7c
If I can find an HD video I can redo this in about 20 mins and it will be more clean.

Icey

Record Breaker
Didn't Elena's free foot touch the ice in the lutz?

Hongo and Julia both skated with great attack. Hongo deserves to be placed higher imo.

Last edited:

fridakalo

Rinkside
Here is a very LOWquality edit I did of Yulia's jumps today. Sorry but I'm not good at loading videos and keeping good quality when I download them from such low resolution(All I could find was 360). Her lutz looks fine on my editor. Actually perfect but the Flip is questionable. I'm honestly surprised it wasn't just a ! but feel free to decide for yourself.
If I can find an HD video I can redo this in about 20 mins and it will be more clean.

Oops:confused: very similar. without entro looks like almost same. thanks to your video

Icey

Record Breaker
While I wouldn't personally give Yulia's 2A +2 (mainly because, to me, what matters most about a jump is the jump itself, not the frills that come before or after), I would like to point out that her 2A looked stronger here than it was during the last two GPs. It has better flow, and just enough height to tick off the "effortless throughout" bullet (which I thought wasn't fulfilled on previous performances).

and the speed into and out of the jump was worthy of note too.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hongo deserves to be placed higher imo.

Judge's curse of skating first and being in last, not to mention the fact she's a substitute that didn't originally qualify for the finals.

At least she scored higher than Wagner, which was no surprise to me, unfortunately.

Icey

Record Breaker
Judge's curse of skating first and being in last, not to mention the fact she's a substitute that didn't originally qualify for the finals.

At least she scored higher than Wagner, which was no surprise to me, unfortunately.

I wondered if her being a sub might have that effect, which, of course, it really shouldn't. In any case, she will have her day soon I think.

Vanshilar

On the Ice

You can try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yTl1BQzn9o&t=4m48s

It does seem pretty marginal at this angle -- so yeah quite possible it was wrong edge, though a bit hard to tell.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I haven't had a chance to watch the program yet, but judging from what the protocols say Yulia's score was fair enough. She lost 1.50 points on the last spin (BV + normal GOE), and 4.00 points on the flip. I don't know if the call was right but without those two things her score would have been 71.74 - 72.05 that's an enormous score.

I take that back, I just watched her program and that was not a fair score. Everything she did from the elements to the miscellaneous movements were stronger and clearer than at COC. Her program was incredible, how did she possibly lose 1.00 in BV on her combination spin, and almost 0.50 in GOE, it was as good as she's ever done it. And that 3F looked fantastic. A fully-rotated, well done triple should never go from being worth 6.83 (BV + GOE at COC SP) to 2.67 (BV + GOE at GPF SP). To elaborate I'm not saying there shouldn't be some loss, but 4+ points seems a bit too much.

I am so happy she did the 3Lz-3T and that she placed well. I knew she would be in the top three, but being second and only a point behind Elizaveta is great. I liked the new movements between the final spin and her ending pose.

Congratulations, Yulia. Kick butt in the Free! :cheer2: :cheer:

Last edited: