2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11

beki

Medalist
Liza is limited artistically, but she has found her style and makes the most of it. Good for her. I have to say, her jumps seem three times the size of the other girls, which is a very nice change! No matter the bullet points, I don't like seeing Julia's low jumps get +2. In that case Liza should be getting +6.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Good for Liza! My fingers are crossed that she holds it together in the FS and keeps her nerves in check. I would love to see her
win here. Liza will have to bring her A game because I suspect her team mates will.

Good luck to all the Ladies!

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Liza is limited artistically, but she has found her style and makes the most of it. Good for her. I have to say, her jumps seem three times the size of the other girls, which is a very nice change! No matter the bullet points, I don't like seeing Julia's low jumps get +2. In that case Liza should be getting +6.

Height is just one bullet point, so height alone will not and should not distinguish between +2 or something higher. There are at least nine other factors I can think of, and there are seven other bullet points on the ISU jump GOE criteria. I guess it's up to you which factor you look for but until the ISU criteria changes to that, which would be a mistake in my opinion, just try to appreciate other factors besides height. It will help.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Does it bug anyone else that during Ashley's SP at 1:32 as the music reaches a crescendo she does nothing choreography wise to match the music?
I like the program but that just bugs me, it is a perfect opportunity to ad something like a falling leaf or split jump or something but there is really nothing, she is just skating along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owa1unbsUDA

I think some of us have mentioned this in past competition threads, Ashley is a good performer but her choreography for this short kind of falls flat

Been following skating since 2006 (<--- see join date), and this has to be the most underwhelming GPF to date. I honestly don't care for any of the skaters, or for the outcome. :confused2:

I agree, overall the ladies short today was kind of underwhelming, there were some nice moments but overall not that memorable

Art&Sport

Medalist
No way either Pogorilaya or Radionova deserve to be ahead of Rika Hongo. I don't think Rika has much personality on the ice, but she skated a very clean and inspired program (probably so happy to even be there). The scoring reeks of fs politics and the overwrought notion of the Russian young ladies being so good. Their talent is mostly in their ability to land jumps and over-dramatically preen on the ice. I'm happy for Lipnitskaya that she skated well. I really like Radionova's potential, but I think she could benefit by not winning here, and stop with all the rushing to get to be on top of the podium. I realize part of the drama is all these Russian young ladies are battling each other to see who gets to go to Worlds and Europeans. Personally, I'd like to see Leonova, Liza T, and Julia Lip make it to Worlds. Pogo is way over-rated, and Radionova needs time to enjoy how old she is, and slowly develop into something very special.

All this talk of Ashley W. lumping Russian ladies together. Ash had complimentary things to say about the Russian skaters, and she is right that none of them have any legacy or memorable style on the ice right now. The youngsters are all still growing as skaters. Leonova would have been a Russian skater more interesting to watch with her programs at GPF. This rush to reward the potential of bright young ladies, to me, is premature and absolutely does nothing for the sport of figure skating. Neither does it do anything for these skaters who need time to develop into mature, expressive skaters with a unique identity on the ice. What the Russian baby ballerinas have is not even much balletic style, but loads of over-reaching ambition, and loads of over-scoring on PCS!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I have not yet read through the whole thread, but can feel the same sentiment as mine;
low qualities, very boring, and lackluster performances along with too generous scores.
I'm so disappointed at today's performances of all participants. Except Rika, none could made a clean program.

I also don't know why the camera works are such a mess. The full shots from a long distance and diagonal shots prevent the viewers from making a right judge on the edge works.
Especially, the camera work for Yulia's performance is somewhat strange. This is unlike the last season's.

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
All this talk of Ashley W. lumping Russian ladies together. Ash had complimentary things to say about the Russian skaters, and she is right that none of them have any legacy or memorable style on the ice right now. The youngsters are all still growing as skaters. Leonova would have been a Russian skater more interesting to watch with her programs at GPF. This rush to reward the potential of bright young ladies, to me, is premature and absolutely does nothing for the sport of figure skating. Neither does it do anything for these skaters who need time to develop into mature, expressive skaters with a unique identity on the ice. What the Russian baby ballerinas have is not even much balletic style, but loads of over-reaching ambition, and loads of over-scoring on PCS!

You said it right. :cheer2:

Although I generally do not care for this GPF at all, it is sad that a clean program still placed beneath two other non-clean ones.

Last edited:

adelia

Record Breaker
Illness could be the cause behind some of those performances. Liza mentioned in her interviews that she has been sick with a cold and did not practice for four days prior to the GPF.

MIM

Medalist
Liza!!!! I am so so happy for her! She was just amazing! I cannot sense any nerves from her. She just kept it going. Her spiral was nicely timed and did not hurry to the next moves. Her jumps were absolutely powerful yet effortless and relaxed ( great touch on 3t with tano!). The step out was unfortunate but she coped with it nicely. Her bolero is not as elegant as carolina's, but quite original and true to her own style. Anyways, I am buying it!

Yulia had a great come back! When I saw her 3-3, the camera pan out way too far to tell what jump it was, but her flip seemed strange in real time. In slow-mo, her flip seemed ok, while her lutz was quite unclear. The camera angle just went above head during her 2a, but she had a rally nice flow in and out of the jump. Here is the thing. I watched her first on CNOPT, her moves were out of synch. During the stsq, she was couple beats ahead and seemed to hold pauses to catch up. Is it just the bad synching video? She does have some extra movements that felt surplus; pushing her hands forwards right after spiral and before 2a. Why don't her team trim and polish the program for her, it is GP Final already! She has everything; technically hard jumps, absolutely amazing spins, good speed and flow on ice, great lines. Those little things brings out her weakness.

Rika was a pleasant surprise tonight! I watched Rika's youtube video without knowing the results/scores. She was amazing! Strong elements were there and the artistic features I thought she was lacking were immensely improved. I thought she would have made top 3. I agree her score was low, while her postures still need more works, like shoulders and back.

I think Yulia and Rika's free programs were not as strong as their SPs. I need to wait and see what they are going to bring on Saturday.

Radionova was brillient. I think her smile after the performance with a fall just proves her confidence and respect for herself. I like her even more seeing the way she coped after the mistakes. Good girl!

Actually this is the first time liking Anna's steps. She had disappointing spins and jumps, but her moves in between and especially stsq were very big, and musical!

Overall, I enjoyed today's event and loved the audience! very engaging! :dance:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I see Julia ahead of the pack today. Liza was not as good. Her Lutz was not good, and her spins are not as good as Julia's. I can't understand how on earth she could loose so many points for what looked to be a gorgeous Flip. Even an edge call shouldn't be so expensive. I consider the Lutz mistake should lose more points than the wrong edge, not to say I can't see any outside edge. Apparently she changed to inside before jumping. I know judges have a much better view...but the points are not correct.

Gigi13

On the Ice
No way either Pogorilaya or Radionova deserve to be ahead of Rika Hongo. I don't think Rika has much personality on the ice, but she skated a very clean and inspired program (probably so happy to even be there). The scoring reeks of fs politics and the overwrought notion of the Russian young ladies being so good. Their talent is mostly in their ability to land jumps and over-dramatically preen on the ice. I'm happy for Lipnitskaya that she skated well. I really like Radionova's potential, but I think she could benefit by not winning here, and stop with all the rushing to get to be on top of the podium. I realize part of the drama is all these Russian young ladies are battling each other to see who gets to go to Worlds and Europeans. Personally, I'd like to see Leonova, Liza T, and Julia Lip make it to Worlds. Pogo is way over-rated, and Radionova needs time to enjoy how old she is, and slowly develop into something very special.

Agreed. I have hope that the Russian ladies will get better as time goes on though, as for overscoring I don't really know but the potential is there for all the young ladies.

Last edited:

gold12345

Medalist
Wagner's entry into her 3F seems weird to me. It looks really curved (similar to her 2A). Has she always done it like that? I don't think so.

I also don't know why the camera works are such a mess. The full shots from a long distance and diagonal shots prevent the viewers from making a right judge on the edge works. Especially, the camera work for Yulia's performance is somewhat strange.

Yes, they zoomed way out during Lipnitskaya's 3Lz+3T, it was really odd, and I don't think I've ever seen camera work like that before today.

Yeah Liza's jumps are relatively powerful, and I'm glad she was able to add the Tano onto the 3T+3T. She seems to be getting stronger and more confident this season, so maybe one day we'll see her 3Lz+3T again (good to see Julia's again). I'd like to see Liza receive higher GOE than Julia on her 2A, for sure. Even though a couple posters are pointing out that Julia may have fulfilled enough bullet points to get high GOE despite the fact the jump is small, judging is ultimately about comparing skaters, and Liza has the stronger jump. I'd much rather they give Julia lower 2A GOE than give her as low as -3 for a well-landed 3F (albeit with an edge call). I was surprised that she had two -3s on the 3F.

just watched Radio, she is sellling it!, perhaps her best passion during GPs. unfortunate about the fall, maybe get little bit too high:biggrin:
and her musicality shines through this choreo (it is not easy;))

Yeah and it was nice that even after making mistakes, Radionova carried on with the program as if nothing had happened. In the past, I feel like she would get quite a bit more subdued after making an error, so it's nice to see growth from her in that aspect.

Last edited:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Rika was great today and I really enjoyed her performance (though she really needs to work on her posture. Is that shyness? Lack of confidence or nerves?) Definitely underrated. At this point, I am no longer surprised at the judging though. It's always been puzzling at times. I just wish that Rika (and some of the other skaters, for that matter) continues to have clean and solid programs so that she develops more and earns a strong reputation as a solid contender. Popularity and reputation do matter.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That was a very weird tech caller. Lip's flip looked perfectly fine to me, especially in slow motion replay she clearly gets onto the inside edge. Her lutz was a bit difficult to see, but it looked better, no worse than a ! but it's hard to tell from the angle.

I personally didn't find this to be underwhelming... in terms of skating skills yeah, but 3 out of 6 clean SPs ain't bad. Hongo got totally hosed though on her PCS. I'd have her in 3rd, but such is the current system... but she should be pleased with a clean skate!

And yes, it's ridiculous that Wagner's 3F scored more than Lip's. :rolleye:

Amei

Record Breaker
Unless one of the top 3 implodes, I think the podium is going to be some version of Liza/Yulia/Elena. I was glad to see Yulia go for the 3Lz-3T, hopefully this means her team has worked through her boot problems from the early in the season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Unless one of the top 3 implodes, I think the podium is going to be some version of Liza/Yulia/Elena. I was glad to see Yulia go for the 3Lz-3T, hopefully this means her team has worked through her boot problems from the early in the season.

I think that's what most people predicted, other than those who said Pogo would be on the podium which was also a sensible pick, although she bombed.

I was also glad to see Yulia go for the 3Z+3T. She knew she needed it to stay close with Radionova, especially since the latter has higher FS content.

The real question: will Yulia go for two 3F in her LP or two 3Z?! If the tech caller all of a sudden calls a flutz and her flip is ratified as a clean edge, she will be so confused! :drama:

gold12345

Medalist
That was a very weird tech caller. Lip's flip looked perfectly fine to me, especially in slow motion replay she clearly gets onto the inside edge. Her lutz was a bit difficult to see, but it looked better, no worse than a ! but it's hard to tell from the angle.

I can see why she got the edge call on the 3F. At least from the camera angle we were given (not the greatest, but good enough), it did look like an outside edge. That doesn't explain the two -3 GOEs she got though. Her 3Lz looks to be on an outside edge to me.

SashaJuliaSpins

Final Flight
Didn't Elena's free foot touch the ice in the lutz?

I have not watched it again, but I have to agree with you. I thought I was the only one that saw the tightness and the foot/ice brush in Elena's combo. I could be wrong, but that is what I thought I saw.