2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTheMusician
Misha Ge was ready to skate after 32 seconds, that's why the late start time violation.

That's quite silly on Misha's part.

Yes, but didn't he say somewhere that he couldn't find a clock to consult. Aren't there a clock somewhere for the skaters to see? I mean you can't expect them to wear there own (wrist)watches. How does it work? (Perhaps this post should be in the stupid questions thread :laugh:)

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Yes, but didn't he say somewhere that he couldn't find a clock to consult. Aren't there a clock somewhere for the skaters to see? I mean you can't expect them to wear there own (wrist)watches. How does it work? (Perhaps this post should be in the stupid questions thread :laugh:)

The clock was just right in front of his eyes in the middle of the rink. Here you can see the position. Probably Misha was too nervous to notice it...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's quite silly on Misha's part.

The clock was just right in front of his eyes in the middle of the rink. Here you can see the position. Probably Misha was too nervous to notice it...

Misha Ge was aware of the location of the clock, according to his tweets.
The issue is whether or not the clock in that location was counting down the time for him.

@mishageofficial
About deductions:i know 30sec,but couldn't find a counting clock ( cause the one that counts wasn't work during our 6min warm up ) #TecIssue
8:50 AM - 11 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/mishageofficial/status/520964591153852417

‏@mishageofficial
@malashrestha p.s. We talked with officials and all didnt understand why this clock not worked on 6min, so no one think it will work on pr.
11:22 AM - 11 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/mishageofficial/status/521002987624620033

Anna, were you able to see with your own eyes that the clock was in fact counting down for Misha??

TMC

Record Breaker
Misha Ge was aware of the location of the clock, according to his tweets.
The issue is whether or not the clock in that location was counting down the time for him.

@mishageofficial
About deductions:i know 30sec,but couldn't find a counting clock ( cause the one that counts wasn't work during our 6min warm up ) #TecIssue
8:50 AM - 11 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/mishageofficial/status/520964591153852417

‏@mishageofficial
@malashrestha p.s. We talked with officials and all didnt understand why this clock not worked on 6min, so no one think it will work on pr.
11:22 AM - 11 Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/mishageofficial/status/521002987624620033

Anna, were you able to see with your own eyes that the clock was in fact counting down for Misha??

I sat in the same section as Anna, and the clock I saw from where I was sitting didn't count down anything for any skater as far as I could see? At least I looked with that in mind at least 4-5 times and it was 00:00 every time. This clock was opposite to where the judges were, ie. behind the skater if they begin facing the judges. I seem to remember it counting maybe one warmup or another but can't be sure...

FWIW, I think there a) should be countdown clocks on all four sides, and b) the skaters should really rehearse getting into position in under 30 seconds. Skate from the boards to your starting point while your coach times you, as many times as it is needed to get the feel of the time.

So although I think that it's pretty awful that there were no clocks, the skaters should still prepare for the possibility that there aren't any and/or they aren't working for some reason.

pohatta

On the Ice
Maybe they should have used that massive clock that they had in the opening ceremony to start countdown for the 2017 Worlds. I thought it was hilarious that they switched it off in front of everybody during the first zamboni break.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Well, to me, that's stupidity on Misha's part, not anyone else's fault. How does he think we do it at the club level? The referee has a stopwatch. Maybe Misha should have started counting in his head. Or maybe, just maybe, he could have cut out the peremptory buzzing around and just gone and taken his start position, if he knew the clock was dead.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Misha is not well conditioned and is exhausted at finish. The choreography is such that he spent the last several seconds of the program gesturing in place. There were chances for him to wrap up faster.

He is a well liked showman. But his technical level is just not there with the elite. E.g. there is no flow out of any of his jumps. He stops at landing and immediately puts the other foot down to move on. I hope he improves his stamina. BTW, he looks different with his hair darkened.

yuki

Final Flight
He is a well liked showman. But his technical level is just not there with the elite.

That is true, but different skaters have different goals. I doubt Misha will be going for the world podium anytime soon :). He is trying to improve - he was happy on Twitter about landing both his 3A in the FS and he even attempted a 3Lo+1Lo+3S (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he had that last season). The music choice in the FS is unusual for him and I appreciated that he tried to be less frantic this time around (until the choreo sequence, at least :p).

Rami

Rinkside
I sat in the same section as Anna, and the clock I saw from where I was sitting didn't count down anything for any skater as far as I could see? At least I looked with that in mind at least 4-5 times and it was 00:00 every time. This clock was opposite to where the judges were, ie. behind the skater if they begin facing the judges. I seem to remember it counting maybe one warmup or another but can't be sure...

FWIW, I think there a) should be countdown clocks on all four sides, and b) the skaters should really rehearse getting into position in under 30 seconds. Skate from the boards to your starting point while your coach times you, as many times as it is needed to get the feel of the time.

So although I think that it's pretty awful that there were no clocks, the skaters should still prepare for the possibility that there aren't any and/or they aren't working for some reason.

The clock was working. I saw it counting. It went back to zero when skaters started their programs. I and everyone around me were wondering why he took so much time to prepare. It was very obvious that he went overtime.

Overall, his skating was nice. I'm not fan of his current programs but it's nice to see him trying something different. I enjoyed his programs from last season more.

TMC

Record Breaker
The clock was working. I saw it counting. It went back to zero when skaters started their programs. I and everyone around me were wondering why he took so much time to prepare. It was very obvious that he went overtime.

Overall, his skating was nice. I'm not fan of his current programs but it's nice to see him trying something different. I enjoyed his programs from last season more.

Okay, I must have just looked at it at the "wrong" times, fair enough :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I find his previous programs consisted too many non skating movements, entertaining but meanwhile distracting from and hiding his low skating ability. The new program shows his improved skating skills. It is a cleaner and more classic package, including his appearance.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice

Excactly. It started from 00:00 when they said a name of the skater. The clock was counting every time and it was 0:32 when Misha started. It was opposite side of the rink from the judges. But when the program started it was 00:00, it didn't show the time of the program. The link I posted - you can see Emilia Toikkanen starting her program at the time 0:17. I don't remember if the clock worked during the warm-ups.

Edit: corrected Emilia's name.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
How does the timing clock work when the choreography is such that skating starts after a few seconds of music? The program begins when the skater makes the first move, not when s/he takes the starting position or when the music starts. If the clock restarts at zero when the program (first move) begins, does the time of the music before that get included in the 30 seconds allowed? A skater really has to be careful now that the time s/he can take before starting the program has been reduced to half of what it was.

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
Excactly. It started from 00:00 when they said a name of the skater. The clock was counting every time and it was 0:32 when Misha started. It was opposite side of the rink from the judges. But when the program started it was 00:00, it didn't show the time of the program. The link I posted - you can see Emmi Peltonen starting her program at the time 0:17. I don't remember if the clock worked during the warm-ups.

Maybe the problem was that often the clock is located in the screen above the rink. I remember Misha looking above there as if trying to find the clock.

Anna, did you mean Emilia Toikkanen? Emmi Peltonen competed in the JGP, not Finlandia Trophy.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Anna, did you mean Emilia Toikkanen? Emmi Peltonen competed in the JGP, not Finlandia Trophy.

Ouch, my mistake :bang: Of course! Thanks for correcting!

Yes. That's why I remember the 0:32 time and I immediately thought that will they give the late start deduction.

But it must have been confusing because the clock didn't work during the warm-ups.

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
How does the timing clock work when the choreography is such that skating starts after a few seconds of music? The program begins when the skater makes the first move, not when s/he takes the starting position or when the music starts. If the clock restarts at zero when the program (first move) begins, does the time of the music before that get included in the 30 seconds allowed? A skater really has to be careful now that the time s/he can take before starting the program has been reduced to half of what it was.

I think you have to be in the starting position in 30 seconds after calling your name. When you are ready and in the starting position the music starts and the clock goes to zero. Then it starts to count again when you move first time. The time used to be 60 seconds. And I remember it used to be 2 minutes 5-10 years ago (can't remember the year when they changed it to 1 minute).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

You have to hit your start position before 30sec. Not start skating before 30sec. Big difference.

Let's say Max comes out on the ice: at 20sec he goes and stands in his start position. Clock resets to zero, music starts, and timekeeper waits for Max to start moving before starting the clock.

TMC

Record Breaker
Excactly. It started from 00:00 when they said a name of the skater. The clock was counting every time and it was 0:32 when Misha started. It was opposite side of the rink from the judges. But when the program started it was 00:00, it didn't show the time of the program. The link I posted - you can see Emilia Toikkanen starting her program at the time 0:17. I don't remember if the clock worked during the warm-ups.

Edit: corrected Emilia's name.

Yeah, this is what confused me. Also that I didn't see it counting the warmups but now I can't be sure?

We could see the clock, but Misha's starting position was facing the judges. Was there a countdown clock there that he could see?

Anyways, I think that it's the skater's responsibility to first of all practice getting into the starting position in under 30 seconds even without any clocks visible. They should also locate all the clocks in the rink before skating. Perhaps ask some official during rehearsals, or watch someone else's start?

Even better would be for the organisers to give this information to all skaters at some point before the 1st event. I'm sure they receive some sort of orientation printout, type "This is the address of the rink if you miss the bus and need to take a taxi; this is where your locker room is... etc etc. And here are the clocks that tell you how much time you have left."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skaters have their music to go by as far as timing and ending their skating is concerned. It is the starting time they have to be careful about, especially with the new limit. Not being able to read the clock is not much of an excuse for ending the program late.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Not being able to read the clock is not much of an excuse for ending the program late.

For the record, Misha Ge's tweets about the clock clearly were not intended to address why his program ended late.

The clock was working. I saw it counting. It went back to zero when skaters started their programs. I and everyone around me were wondering why he took so much time to prepare. It was very obvious that he went overtime....

... Yes. That's why I remember the 0:32 time and I immediately thought that will they give the late start deduction.

But it must have been confusing because the clock didn't work during the warm-ups.

Thx to Rami and Anna for your eyewitness observations that the clock was counting down the time limit for getting to the start position.