2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Ladies Short Program 11/28

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Both kanako and Satoko have much better skating skills than Leonova. Why didn't that reflect in the PCS?

Maybe but Leonova had the best interpretation and performance. Leonova's short is brilliant when skated well as she delivered here - her FS is the problem. Really she shows you don't have to be classical, princessy or over dramatic - this deserves well into the 9's because it is often harder to do comedy or something more light than overwrought drama, or feminine lyrical etc.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Maybe but Leonova had the best interpretation and performance. Leonova's short is brilliant when skated well as she delivered here - her FS is the problem. Really she shows you don't have to be classical, princessy or over dramatic - this deserves well into the 9's because it is often harder to do comedy or something more light than overwrought drama, or feminine lyrical etc.

Leonova is much better at "performing" her programs and really conveying themes and characters. For me, it's what's made her stand out in the field.

Icey

Record Breaker
No offense to Polina but her SP does not surprise me. First - no one is perfect. So, if this is just a blip in the screen and she returns to her former consistency, that's fine. But, imo, she may be experiencing some of the growing pains that all young people and young skaters face. Her body is changing so certainly the bio mechanics to her jumps will be affected. And good artistry takes time. I am not among the group that think these youthful pixie dances equate to great artistry. That goes for Elena, too. As serious as she is, I much prefer Julia and think she has a deeper soul on the ice. Back to Polina - I won't be shocked if she ends up 5th or 6thh here and even if she falls off the podium at Nationals. But she has time to grow and develop in all aspects of her skating.

Yes, she certainly is opening the door for Hicks and maybe even Mirai at nationals.

stella luna

Final Flight
I didn't watch because I was so tired after cooking all day, but eeenteresting results! I did look over the protocalls, though. Great for Gracie for coming through on that short. I hope the pressure doesn't get to her for the long. I would love to see her and Ashley both in the GPF, it would be like a US Nationals preview for us. And I'm so glad I put Alena on my predictions podium, I really think she's just on this year. Congrats to the Japanese ladies for strong programs :cheer: And as for Polina -- :cry: I just love her and really hope she pulls out of this little slump sometime soon.

Edit--I just watched the top 4. Wow :love: gorgeous programs from the top 4! Gracie looks as though she has returned to form, Alena's short is one of my favorite programs this year, I'm so happy she skated it so well. Kanako was just a joy, the lyrics are a good thing in this program, and I can't wait to watch Satoko and her skating mature over time. Nicely done, ladies! :cheer2:

Looking forward to watching this one! Gracie's brought her game!

desertskates

Medalist
I'm really happy for Gracie! (and I love that dress:biggrin:) Hope to see her skating clean tomorrow too.
The dress is absolutely gorgeous, and she looks so beautiful without the bun on top of her head for a change! Good to see her skating so well :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I will just say, since it seems like I didn't make my posts clear last night in my sleep-deprived state: Alena was my favourite. Had I been a judge, I would've placed her first based on P/E, CH, and INT (good TR and solid SS too). That being said, Gracie nailed a 3Lz-3T, and had superior spins (especially the layback), so I understand why she came first and will not dispute the result. I don't understand why people are saying her jumps are no good anymore; they looked quite good on the night, with the exception of the axel (that's where I'd give Alena noticeably better GOE).

Good work from everyone in the second group. :cheer:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Glad Gracie redeemed herself. I do think nerve and confidence are holding her back most of the time when she underperforms. She is 19 years old but are only in the third season of her senior international competition, and before that, she had only one year of junior international competition experience, while the Russian girls are way ahead of her. The selection system of US federation needs to be changed.

rosacotton

Final Flight
The top four ladies were great! I am hoping for them all to have good long programs.

Sad for Polina. I find her programs this year charming. I wonder if her issues are due to puberty or expectations/pressure (last year she wasn't expected to medal at the Olympics or Worlds and preformed respectfully, while this season more was expected of her).

Art&Sport

Medalist
Unfortunately another meltdown for Edmunds. There will be a lot of ladies gunning for the third team spot at U.S. Nationals. What all the U.S. ladies (and men for that matter) need are huge doses of self-confidence and self-belief. Hopefully, Gracie and Ashley W will remain in great form at Nationals to secure the top two spots.

It will be interesting to see how Edmunds bounces back (or if she bounces back) again in the free program at this, her second GP. She needs to in order to gain some training momentum pre-U.S. Nationals.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Sad for Polina. I find her programs this year charming. I wonder if her issues are due to puberty or expectations/pressure (last year she wasn't expected to medal at the Olympics or Worlds and preformed respectfully, while this season more was expected of her).

Polina is young and talented. She has plenty of time to adjust, make experience etc.
In sport like in life sometimes you lose sometimes you win. You have bad days, or bad seasons.
I was reading a very interesting interview with Maurizio Margaglio right now, and he said something which is so true, and yet we tend to forget.
He said: "I realized as an athlete you do not win a lot. You lose a lot. Valentino Rossi is probably the best racer in history. But if you look at the statistics, he did not win even 50 percent of the races in which participated."

FS fans tend to make too much "tragedy" out of a bad skate, or bad season. Very much like football fans actually, which is very interesting and funny to me, being a fan of both sports. :biggrin: .
But skaters have proved us wrong so many times. :)
I wouldn't worry about her right now. She has just started.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Polina completely bombed. She totally took herself out of the running. A fall on a UR lutz, no combo and a popped flip. What has happened to this girl's consistency?

She's usually consistent in the FS. The SP not as much. She had a rough SP at one of her JGPs last year, then a really rough SP at the JGPF, and had issues (albeit lesser) with her SP at Worlds.

It's unfortunate her SP woes because she usually does skate really well in the FS and is either conservatively marked for skating early or unable to make up all the damage done from the SP. She has a good competitive mindset and good technique, the first senior season is a tough transition so that's what I attributed the SP in China too. Here I'm a little more surprised, she doesn't really have much of a shot to make the GPF (with a win she'd be a maybe, and this is a tough field), so I thought she'd be more calm here. Hopefully it was just a bad day and she can skate well.

Unfortunately if she ever wants to catch up with the Russians (which I think she is capable of, she's the same age and has the same jump content) she's going to have to start scoring more than 50 points in the SP. Her glorious FS from Worlds scored 126, so even if she got that tomorrow, her total would be 174 which just isn't that high. Also Gracie having a 20 point margin on her after the SP is not helping her chances going into Nationals, these days even when Gracie has a meltdown her score is around 110 at a minimum, meaning Polina would need 130+ to tie her. I really like Polina and want her to do well but it makes me sad to see her struggle like this and then not get rewarded very well when she nails the long.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Have you watched Nobu cried when he won against Evan some years before? :laugh2: Evan's expression was the best!!

Hah, I remember that. It was NHK or something. Nobu was in tears that he won, and Evan had this confused expression like "Uh, dude... you won gold at NHK, not a Miss America pageant." :laugh:

yuki

Final Flight
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Last edited: