2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

moviechick

On the Ice
I don't think he's ever truly insulted another skater (ok, maybe Yags but that was personal and they both did it) - he had strong feelings about the judging system and how it rewards/doesn't reward risk, but almost every skater has said that he's extremely nice and friendly to them. The recent stories from Jason Brown and Yuzuru Hanyu are proof of that, not to mention, even with all the fire he's been under re: his withdraw, it says a lot that almost all the skaters/former skaters have been going to bat for him in the media.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wouldn't go so far as to call him "arrogant", but he's said brash, arrogant things. Particularly his 2010 silver led to comments that reeked of entitlement, and of course, there's bashing Kovtun saying only he himself had the top level experience to go to the Olympics.

Because of course Kovtun was a sweet innocent angel... :sarcasm:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I want a tv show with Plushy and Kwan. I love Plushy in english, his accent is so cute, he is softer, more smiley, less stoic, he is the Plushy I always meet when he talks to us.
I like how he says Michelle Kwan-Gorgeous, his eyes went big! And that he was not aware at his first worlds that he was skating with legends like Stoijko and Eldredge and Yagudin who were already upthere. Also Plushy in today 's interview said that everybody asks him about Kovtun always but the are other skaters in Russia, like Menshov and Voronov who were on the podium at Euros.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I want a tv show with Plushy and Kwan. I love Plushy in english, his accent is so cute, he is softer, more smiley, less stoic, he is the Plushy I always meet when he talks to us.
I like how he says Michelle Kwan-Gorgeous, his eyes went big! And that he was not aware at his first worlds that he was skating with legends like Stoijko and Eldredge and Yagudin who were already upthere. Also Plushy in today 's interview said that everybody asks him about Kovtun always but the are other skaters in Russia, like Menshov and Voronov who were on the podium at Euros.:biggrin:

How great to hear that Plushy is so nice to fans in person. I'm glad also to hear about his favorable comments about other skaters. Though his large ego is indisputable, he also seems to love skating itself, and that generally leads to a broad and generous view of other skaters.

marechal09

Spectator
the disappointing performance of the men's competition in Sochi is the result of three years of lunatic overscoring a skater, P.Chan, who won almost every event stumbling and falling all over the ice...What shocks me is that this conceited and puppysh guy still thinks to be the best in the world!:disapp:

emdee

Final Flight
the disappointing performance of the men's competition in Sochi is the result of three years of lunatic overscoring a skater, P.Chan, who won almost every event stumbling and falling all over the ice...What shocks me is that this conceited and puppysh guy still thinks to be the best in the world!:disapp:

Its not what he thinks ( that he is the best in the world). Its what we know him to be ie the best in the world whether he had a bad olympics or not.

Spinerette

On the Ice

But Patrick is the best in the world. Did you ever watch his performances in Eric Bompard 2013?

Crylais

Rinkside
But Patrick is the best in the world. Did you ever watch his performances in Eric Bompard 2013?
I no longer think you can he is the best in the world. Maybe one of the best.

As for the Eric Bompard skate, that's definately one of his best skate ever. Unfortunately I don't see him pulling it off again given the way he has been landing his 3A

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Crylais said:
I no longer think you can he is the best in the world. Maybe one of the best.

If you're talking about skater in the sense of blade-to-ice-skills Patrick is still the best in the biss. So even if he said so himself, it's fine. What makes it a little of a toss-up is that Hanyu has passed him in the jumps, so it's hard to say how both would score against one another if completly clean.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If you're talking about skater in the sense of blade-to-ice-skills Patrick is still the best in the biss. So even if he said so himself, it's fine. What makes it a little of a toss-up is that Hanyu has passed him in the jumps, so it's hard to say how both would score against one another if completly clean.

Well, I think Patrick is still the more all-rounded skater than Hanyu (when both of them do not fall, ha ha) but Hanyu is a better jumper (only when he does not fall, lol).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Meoima said:
Well, I think Patrick is still the more all-rounded skater than Hanyu (when both of them do not fall, ha ha) but Hanyu is a better jumper (only when he does not fall, lol).

That's true (especially about the falls :biggrin: ). I'm not sure how far those qualitys would get Chan though, given Hanyus BV advantage (and, arguable, GOE advantage), under this system.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's true (especially about the falls :biggrin: ). I'm not sure how far those qualitys would get Chan though, given Hanyus BV advantage (and, arguable, GOE advantage), under this system.

Well, Yuzu's successful jumps are spectacular, so are Chan's composed and solid step sequences. I hope both of them show their best at world champ next month.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

He will probably never put himself on the line to try and prove it again so even easier to make his self deluded claims now. :laugh: Anyway with Sotnikova he has his potential replacement as the farce of figure skating.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Meoima said:
Well, Yuzu's successful jumps are spectacular, so are Chan's composed and solid step sequences. I hope both of them show their best at world champ next month.

Agreed, but I won't get my hopes up. They're exhausted, might have trouble motivating themselves again after the biggest event they worked for 4 years, and the media might really tire them out. Just saw a video of Hanyu being back in Japan, and that was scary. Adding in the new pressure he has, I wouldn't be suprised if he bombed worlds.
I just hope if it happens, someone else, like Javi, Dai/Kozu or Denis, will step up and win in convincing fashion.