2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Go Jason!

You know what's sad? If Jeremy decided not to try a quad, and did a clean program with all triples, he'd be right in the mix, since his PCS scores are usually pretty good. I'm sorry to see him end this way, but he and his coach didn't pursue such great strategy here.:no:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Go Jason!

You know what's sad? If Jeremy decided not to try a quad, and did a clean program with all triples, he'd be right in the mix, since his PCS scores are usually pretty good. I'm sorry to see him end this way, but he and his coach didn't pursue such great strategy here.:no:

I don't think he could have known how many men would bomb. And he was obviously playing to win.

Florencito

Medalist
TES ranking
1. Hanyu 54.84
2. Chan 50.34
3. Liebers 47.26
4. Majorov 45.52
5. Brown 45.39
6. Joubert 45.11
7. Yan 44.94
8. Fernandez 43.87
9. Ten 43.49
10. Brezina 42.20
11. Verner 42.11
12. Takahashi 41.75
13. Machida 40.98
14. Hendrixx 39.88
15. Abbott 37.21

PCS
1. Chan 47.18
2. Hanyu 46.61
3. Takahashi 44.65
4. Fernandez 43.11
5. Machida 42.50
6. Ten 41.57
7. Joubert 40.73
8. Han 40.72
9. Brown 40.61
10. Verner 39.98
11. Amodio 39.79
12. Brezina 39.75
13. Liebers 38.77
14. Majorov 38.29
15. Abbott 37.37

Javi they really want to give you a medal. Plis don't mess up tomorrow!

SimplyLex

On the Ice
The battle for bronze tomorrow may be even more intense than the battle for gold/silver! I'm going to be very tensely following along during my statistics class tomorrow!

And we're in for another one like that in ice dancing! Damn, these Games are going to be good :)

As for Machida, that's what you get for doubling your triples. Also, he's only about 3.5 pts from a medal. 11th place looks bad, but point-wise, it's actually quite good.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I hate to say this cause I'm a Jason uber, but I sort of hope he doesn't get bronze cause I don't want to hear your whining for the next four years. :no:

I just know now that the system in place is open and nothing is mandatory or required with regard to quad so getting third most points without a quad is just perfectly legitimate.

Um, bronze yes... but victory? :laugh: Do we really need another Lysacek?

Because Chan and hanyu are doing the hardest moves there is more risk. The system doesn't have anything to reflect lysacek as anything other than the guy with the most points.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Brown gets bronze means disastrous skating from the usual top skaters. No, I do not want to see it.

Then don't watch. Brown skated clean while others made errors. He thoroughly deserves his placement and has a FS that is more exciting than many of the top skaters. Even without a quad, he can give one of the most memorable Olympic performances.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think Daisuke should forget his quads in the long and should try to get bronze by skating a clean triple program. His PCS scores make it possible.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
uugg ....so much to catch up on. I hope NBC.COM repeats the men's short, they did for all the team events.
Can't believe Jeremy is down in 15th place.
Happy Jason is in the last group.
Plushenko is out. So much drama!!! :popcorn:
ok, catching up.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Because Chan and hanyu are doing the hardest moves there is more risk. The system doesn't have anything to reflect lysacek as anything other than the guy with the most points.

They have an 11 and 15 point lead over Brown. And their BV is much higher than Brown in the FS. And Brown rarely gets both axels perfectly. Jason's highest LP is a 158. Even if Chan and Hanyu scored just 150 points in their FS, instead of the 190+ points they're slated to receive, they would still theoretically be ahead of Brown.

Becki

Medalist
Brown gets bronze means disastrous skating from the usual top skaters. No, I do not want to see it.

That's what I was thinking! I hope Daisuke gets bronze, but something tells me that's more wishful thinking than wishful thinking.

Tbh, I think I am at peace with whatever the results will be tomorrow. If Patrick wins Gold, it'll be the first for his country. If he doesn't, he has two Silver medals from an Olympic game and he improved on his standings from 2010.

If Yuzu wins Gold, it'll be the first Gold medal of the game for Japan (I believe?) & in figure skating for Japan. If he is 2nd, he'll be the first Japanese to win a Silver. And he's gonna follow Plushy's footsteps and win the next Olympics :p

It's going to be a win-win situation for those two at the top, imo.

And bronze is where the excitement lies.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can't believe Jeremy is down in 15th place.

You can't? I thought it was expected given his shady international record and what he did in the team event here. I appreciate that he woke up and fought through the rest of the performance after the downgraded quad fall though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's not Jason's fault that the other guys messed up. He skated clean and that is where he ended up.

And trust me the majority of people watching NBC tonight will be more impressed with Jason for a clean performance than the other guys for "being risky."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jason has GOEs and PCS but low BV without the quad. Too many bronze contenders with quads for all of them to fall behind him in the long program.

Becki

Medalist
That actually would not be a bad strategy.

But Daisuke won't do it. Think about it, he could've won Gold 4 years ago by following that strategy but he didn't. Instead he went for the quad. I don't think it will be any different this time around.

BounceAround

On the Ice
If Yuzu wins Gold, it'll be the first Gold medal of the game for Japan (I believe?) & in figure skating for Japan. If he is 2nd, he'll be the first Japanese to win a Silver.

Unrelated aside - I know you were probably talking about a more specific case, but I'd hate to think people are forgetting about Shizuka Arakawa and Midori Ito :).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wake up to the news that Plushy WD and Brendan finishes last.

I'm crying in front of my computer. Even looking at Jason's result can't dredge up enough happiness to overcome how awfully gutted I feel right now.