2014 Skate Canada Free Dance 11/01 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Free Dance 11/01

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Agreed! That's an awful costume on Andrew! I understand what they're going for, but it doesn't work for me. The contrast between their costumes is just too great.

I felt otherwise. I thought that costume was perfect in showing off Andrew's amazing amazing body to perfection! :) when Kaitlyn wasn't blocking the view, that is.

Somehow I think others may agree. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I had to remind myself that close holds in dance is a good thing. Otherwise I would have been yelling at Katelyn to move her head cuz she was blocking my view of gorgeous Andrew:laugh::love:

LOL!

By the way, Andrew and Kaitlyn have said they are not a couple, and Andrew has said he's too busy or something like that to be in a relationship. There's hope yet! :)

Their program was certainly skated with abandon. That loss to the Shibs lit a fire under them. As it should have.

New costumes please--for both. Thank you!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Sinead Kerr did a fantastic job commentating on Universal Sports....she was knowledgeable, thoughtful, and pleasant. Thank goodness they didn't use Peter Carruthers for this segment!

:love: :yay: W/P's FD is coming along very nicely! I love her new dress!!! She looks like the fall leaves and he looks like the tree... But seriously, the skating and performance they gave was top-notch; and I am so thrilled for them!!!!!!!!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh, Kaitlyn and Andrew were gorgeous! I love Kaitlyn's dress, and Andrew makes brown look smokin' hot! G/P were fab, and in the zone. Maddi and Zach were cool, fast and funky. The slight miscue at the end of H/D program was nothing to get too upset over, but I get Zach felt judges already don't always give them deserving marks. Anyways, the young Russians paled in comparison to the top three and they and coach Zhulin knew what they put out wasn't good enough to be on the podium. G/P set a strong pace in this final flight. I love how they came back rarin' to contend after those twizzle miscues in their sd.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
LOL!

By the way, Andrew and Kaitlyn have said they are not a couple, and Andrew has said he's too busy or something like that to be in a relationship. There's hope yet! :)

Their program was certainly skated with abandon. That loss to the Shibs lit a fire under them. As it should have.

New costumes please--for both. Thank you!

You mean Chock and Bates? (I assume you're talking about Nebelhorn).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
LOL--this whole FD has me so much in a tizzy I'm getting all my names wrong! LOL! I'm too young for Alzheimers! Oy!

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
So..... W/P put on a master class in skills, edges, intricate holds, musicality, .... So happy for them. They were in a league of their own. This program is going to grow and be even more stunning by Worlds. Wow. And maybe Andrew will find another shirt in the closet. Her dress is perfect.

I'd still put Hub/Don 2nd. It was not the best skate, and they need some refinement, but I love their strength and power and quality skills and edges. It was very interesting to watch them skate next to G/P. It wasn't a horrible dance, but G/P's dance was completely devoid of the real smooth feel of the 30's, what we saw from W/P and C/L short dances from last year. It should ooze its way around the ice. And the program did not hide the lack of edge quality, or the amount of cross cuts and side by side skating we saw from G/P. It was clean, and it had some original moves. But it came up lacking for me. I would have put P/X above G/P in the FD to be honest. That was a VERY lovely program. I also enjoyed Hur/Dia, but their program was a little bit more a "work in progress" yet. It was still missing some quality and difficulty in the elements. A/E were lost in the mix. I tend to agree with others that it is not the right vehicle for them, and not the right packaging.

In the really ugly category I would have M/K, which was a whole lot of uber-dramatic angst with really, really bad posture and no real knee action. The Z/G were simply the worst I've seen them in such a long time - both today and yesterday. It was ugly, poorly executed, missing quality, off time, just off. I'm ok with avant-garde and originality. I was a huge fan of VM's Carmen. But this was just awfully bad.

If it were me: W/P, then Hub/Don, G/P based on their higher placing in the SD yesterday, then P/X based on a program that should have had even higher marks today, Hur/Dia based on their fabulous and underscored SD yesterday, and ok program today, M/K, A/E, and then Z/G considering they were over-scored both days.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 171.10 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 152.60 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 148.23 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) - 143.48 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 140.95 Free Dance
6. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 137.37 Free Dance
7. Elisabeth PARADIS / Francois-Xavier OUELLETTE (CAN) - 134.48 Free Dance
8. Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 127.99 Free Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
Every kind of problem.

The Russians are still reeling from the fact that I/K broke up. M/K's dance, no offence to their fans, was so dry and lacking in any real originality or sense of feeling.

What did Marina do to A/E? In what world does Aldridge (sp) have the spunk or fire required to play either Carmen or Scarlett? They need to go back to their rink and pull a Sinitsina. Remove their things from the locker and simply say, I'm leaving. I'm going to skate with Igor (?), or somebody who is willing to really look at them and give them a real shot at success.

How is it that no-one saw in their group that neither of these dances suited them? The Godfather would have been a much better fit as a FD. Krylova and Carmelengo (sp) must feel so disappointed for them.

Well enough of my negative rant!

For this competition I really enjoyed one or both of the dances from the young Canadian team, Hurtado/Diaz, G/P and W/P.

beabstress

On the Ice
Whatever a dance fan could POSSIBLY want, it was to be found in this competition tonight. Loads of creativity and innovation. An all-natural cure for insomnia. A peek back at costumes of yesteryear. Gorgeous work from up-and-coming relative unknowns. A level of oddness not likely to be out-odded anytime soon. A reminder of Salé and Pelletier (and Bourne and Kraatz) falling on the final pose at the Olympics. Doc's dinner jacket from The Love Boat. And poetry in motion.

blancanieves

On the Ice
Note to Mr Donohue:

If you screw up, it is not the best idea to send the audience a Western Union telegram to that effect. The first rule of any performance: the audience won't be as aware of a screw up if you don't highlight it. You practically put kleig lights on it.

It's not his typical reaction, on the contrary. He's missed things before and always been quick to keep going right away and compete strong. Let's cut him a break. He's been holding it together for over a year now through each of Madi's injuries, the surgery and post-recovery. Supporting your partner while having to deal with all the stresses and frustrations of not being able to train/compete like you want/need to, even though you're healthy, is a lot. I think he's allowed two seconds of weakness.

Why did H/D get a deduction?

Two deductions, one for the fall at the end, and one for an extended lift.

auser

Record Breaker
LOL--this whole FD has me so much in a tizzy I'm getting all my names wrong! LOL! I'm too young for Alzheimers! Oy!
Don't know about you WA, but I watched the senior B comps at some odd, late night/early morning hours. I just call it time zone blur:) My memories of those programs are "I should this again later for full effect":laugh:

KKonas

Medalist
My thoughts
H&D (ESP)– need to work on their basic stroking – on flats of the blade half the time and not a lot of speed because of it.
A& E – just don’t seem to have any personality on the ice. Trying to copy D&W moves – and not well.
M&K – a real mess of a FD – no idea what they were trying to achieve.
P&X – Okay program but still look like Juniors.
Z&G- Coach Scotnicky often goes off the rails choreographically and this dance is one of them.
G&P – They have good connection on the ice – lots of personality. Especially liked their SD but she needs to rid herself of that bat-like costume.
H&D (USA) - A work in progress. Not a lot of speed and some sloppiness throughout.
W&P - Best of the group but don’t think this FD is a masterpiece. Much prefer Usova & Zhulin’s Four Seasons interpretation (1992 Albertville) – Beautiful edge work.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
My reflections:
P/O - beautiful program - echoes of V/M. They're both strong skaters with lovely lines and edges & really going places.
H/D - Thought their SD was a hot mess but the FD, altho a bit sloppy was fast, interesting & a lot of fun. They both have great ss.
G/P - Hated their SD - too contrived - but this FD really works. Such interesting choreography, although some of their lifts quite ugly. He still drags her around somewhat but her ss are improving.
W/P - agree with you Kkonas that right now it isn't a masterpiece, but it's early days & the program has potential to evolve. They danced it beautifully. Very lyrical, fast, but some of their lifts & spins could be more complex.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE (CAN) - 171.10 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 152.60 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 148.23 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) - 143.48 Free Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 140.95 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 137.37 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Elisabeth PARADIS / Francois-Xavier OUELLETTE (CAN) - 134.48 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 127.99 Free Dance, 2nd Copy

emma

Record Breaker
All I can say right now is dance is thrilling! Oh, and I am goose-bumped and over the moon about W/P program. I have a soft spot for 4 seasons; and their FD is amazing, just captures the feeling so much and wow, wow, wow, on their tech and closeness and speed and line. And wow. I'm just wowed. and goose-bumped. Will watch this again and so look forward to seeing this program progress.