2015 Finlandia Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD

tulosai

Record Breaker
Or do you mean frequently overscored, considering Patch could only twizzle properly in one direction?

:laugh2: I was wondering something like this myself... there was absolutely no title they deserved to win that they didn't win IMO.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am completely shallow: I keep watching W/P's SD so I can watch his Elvis-pelvis action at about the 1:59 mark. He couldn't twizzle worth a darn this weekend but he is just so "hunk-a, hunk-a"

moon

On the Ice
T/T lots of flash which is great if that is what you enjoy. Too much hand in hand and him pulling her around the rink for me. I am waiting for P/C to show us a beautiful Rav pattern that is done with two people skating close together with seemingly effortless speed. Some of the speed skater piking I have seen the dancers doing this year is awful. Leave that to the singles skaters. Dancing is so much more than scratchy hand in hand speed, flailing arms and theatrical faces. Any discipline can do that

nocturnalis

Medalist
The dancers aren't great at the pattern this season. Note that this is a euphemism. I just watched Virtue/Moir's Golden Waltz to make myself feel better.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I'm going to not watch the SD and FD that Hawayek and Baker did and have myself be surprised at Skate America. 12 DAYS LEFT.

robredo40

On the Ice
P&C are a bit overrated her skating needs a lot of work, they had the perfect FD last year , i doubt lightning strikes twice and with her concussion i feel it may be a lost year for them. as for who will win the world title i think a european will probably win again, even with Worlds in US there a good possibility a US judge will not be on the panel, given that last year the US had one and Canada didn`t so Chock and Bates are far from locks.

LisaM

Medalist
The dancers aren't great at the pattern this season. Note that this is a euphemism. I just watched Virtue/Moir's Golden Waltz to make myself feel better.

From the protocols at different competitions I've seen, many, many teams are getting the key points. I feel like last year it was a lot harder to get them? Now they're handing them out left and right like Oprah.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Well, I do agree that G&P will likely stay ahead of P&I and maybe get closer to W&P, but I'm still not sure about a G&P nationals win.

Sorry. I saw G&P live in Thornhill, and I actually liked Orford/Hill better. The G&P SD is a hot mess. There is no sense of a holistic dance. It's disjointed with no theme to really bring the pieces together. They still are not a team in skating skills; there is too much of a gap between their abilities. The lack of quality lines, matching edges, close hold skating is not good. G&P are generally over-scored, since too many judges reward music choice and personality over actual quality skating. Absolutely G&P are fun and entertaining and crowd pleasing, but in terms of quality competitive skating, they really don't measure up to most of the others in the top 10 in the World. Orford/Hill, still in their infancy as a team, have better core skating skills and better lines than G&P. And with regard to W/P, W/P won everything except worlds last year, and still landed on the podium there. G&P are not actually close to them - not in quality, complexity of movement, musicality or core skating skills - despite how G&P are the darlings of Canadian judges. And I don't think any of the current teams are close to the quality of V/M or D/W. Ice dance has gotten worse without those 2 teams competing.

Marta25

Medalist
From the protocols at different competitions I've seen, many, many teams are getting the key points. I feel like last year it was a lot harder to get them? Now they're handing them out left and right like Oprah.

Last year, the technical panels at the Challengers weren`t as strict as in the GP series. For example, H/D could barely achieve a 60 score at their two GPs, but received a 65 at Golden Spin. Similar the Shibs, who posted great scores at their Challengers, but had problems with their levels at their GPs and GPF. I`m looking forward to the GP series and how strictly the top teams will be scored.

robredo40

On the Ice
Paul Poirier has actually excellent skating skills, i also think he`s a better lifter than Poje, Piper has weaknesses but she is improving, i think what`s dragging W&P is Poje himself he can be weak technically sometimes i think Kaitlyn has clearly surpassed him now its evident.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I think Paul has a great posture, so he always looks great on the ice. I watched W/P's free yesterday and it looked to me that Andrew looked kind of slumped, so he appeared to look slightly unprepared next to Kaitlyn. Hope they can fix this.

slider11

Medalist
I'm feeling that W/P's FD may have some real potential, too. I like the beginning and end with the simple hand hold and very pleasing movements. It did get a little repetitive in the middle but there's time to tweak and I think Andrew lost his focus after the twizzle error so we haven't seen a clean run.
I agree! I see a lot in W/P's program to like. As well, IMO, it's innovative & has an edge. The season's just begun - lots of time for tweaks and smoothing out.

moon

On the Ice
I think Poje had a case of the nerves not unlike several teams so far this season. More tripping and stiffness than I have seen in a long time at every Challenger event. I don't know what people are looking at when they say Poje isn't a strong skater. That is so far off from reality. Sometimes these strong opinions are coming from very subjective places and are not based on what these skaters are actually being scored on. That isn't to say we can't have subjective opinions and just love a team because we somehow receive a good feeling watching them. As far as G/P go, when they can skate a program that doesn't use robotic movement of some form or another to disguise her lack of grace and ability I will start being impressed. I do have to say though that they are about the only team so far this year that have gone out and not left any points on the ice. They are great competitors

robredo40

On the Ice
W&P just lack the killer instinct to make them champions, they seem to skate not to lose instead of winning , i thought they had turned the corner when they won big at the GP final last year but alas it was only temporary its still early in the season maybe they will prove me wrong but they need the fix the issues quickly Ice dance is all about momentum and perception.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Poje had a case of the nerves not unlike several teams so far this season. More tripping and stiffness than I have seen in a long time at every Challenger event. I don't know what people are looking at when they say Poje isn't a strong skater. That is so far off from reality. Sometimes these strong opinions are coming from very subjective places and are not based on what these skaters are actually being scored on. That isn't to say we can't have subjective opinions and just love a team because we somehow receive a good feeling watching them. As far as G/P go, when they can skate a program that doesn't use robotic movement of some form or another to disguise her lack of grace and ability I will start being impressed. I do have to say though that they are about the only team so far this year that have gone out and not left any points on the ice. They are great competitors

You mean for seniors only?

uhh

Medalist

I find the key points they've chosen to be quite bizarre - The RW is quite a challenging pattern but the key points are SO easy. Point 2 on the 2nd half of the pattern is just two outside edges (and yet some teams have still missed it :laugh2:). It's nowhere near what they've been marked on in previous years. And the problem then is that the rest of the pattern outside the key points can be done poorly, and it doesn't affect the level, just the GOE.

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I think I'm going to not watch the SD and FD that Hawayek and Baker did and have myself be surprised at Skate America. 12 DAYS LEFT.

I don't want to ruin your surprise, but suffice it to say they have a good FD and a very decent SD. They won't be competing for medals, but I think that's ok, I wasn't expecting them to. I think if they can get to Worlds this year it will be a huge success for them. I love them and am pleased with their showing so far.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't want to ruin your surprise, but suffice it to say they have a good FD and a very decent SD. They won't be competing for medals, but I think that's ok, I wasn't expecting them to. I think if they can get to Worlds this year it will be a huge success for them. I love them and am pleased with their showing so far.

I mean like the actual visual of it, not what people say. Ya know?